X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SICK STUDIE

Hi All,

Just want to post some pics of a really sick studie that my dad and I have just started to restore. It's a 1964 Daytona 4 door.

My grandfather and dad bought it brand new together from a dealership in Kingston, Ontario. When we moved to Manitoba in the 80's my dad brought the car out west with us. It was restored in the 80s by my dad. He drove it daily and I started to drive it once I got my license in high school. I drove it for the first 2 years of university 60 miles every day. I even got my first speeding ticket with her (if you can believe that). I never had any problems with it even with our -40 F days that we have here.

Unfortunatly our winters are pretty nasty and driving the car year round was hard on the body. It started to rust so in 1999 we parked it in a farmers barn so it would be out of the snow and rain.

The car sat for 6 years unseen until the farmer called us and asked us to pick the car up because he was going to be renting out his entire barn. When we went to pick it up in September it was pretty sad sight. The mice got into the car and wrecked the interior, it smelled, it was dirty, the tires were flat, and worst of all the car was sunk in mud at the side of the barn. Apparently the barn wasn't as dry as we hoped and the mud was wet year round. The drivers side rotted out pretty bad. It took a great deal of work to get it out of the mud.

We ended up towing the car back to my dads garage with his 1962 Studebaker champ. In 1982 or 1983 my dad purchased the abandoned truck from a farmer and we towed the truck from the farmers field with the car. I was 7 years old at that time. It was a wierd feeling having the truck towing the car this time.

We plan on doing a complete restoration on it over the next few years. We've started to rip it apart and I've included some pictures. It's in pretty rough shape. Needs new rockers, some new floors, new trunk floor,fener work, door work, frame work, new interior. On the plus side of things the engine should still run since it was running when it was parked. Thats one of the few positives.

I'm taking a autobody course now at the local college and just purchased a mig welder. My dad's done restorations in the past and he thinks it will be challege. Should be both fun and painfull!

Here are the pics.

In Tow

In Garage

Rocker Panel and Floor Rust

Trunk

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Take care

HMmmmm...Let me get this straight,you towed this TO your home,not AWAY??? Just Kiddin'!! Seen worse,could be fun,and a cool car!!
    Good Luck with the old girl!

Home of the Almostahawk
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

HMmmmm...Let me get this straight,you towed this TO your home,not AWAY???
      Well we thought about it for about 1 second. Couldn't part with it since it's been in the family since new. Lots of history with her. Childhood memories, weddings, running out of gas when it's -40 out, gas tank fires at the gas station.....

My mom on the other hand would scrap it in a second.

Comment

I've seen worse. Wait, I OWN worse! My car was pulled from a pond, been there about 2 years, but it really wasn't "that" bad...

Matthew Burnette; the world's most
        dedicated 15 year old Stude nut!
        [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/yelstude2.jpg [/img]
        1963 Daytona HT
        lots more Studes
        and a few parts cars

Comment

Wow, looks like a Michigan car. This is an example of why I bought my Daytona from California. Good luck with your project.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I'VE ALWAYS HAD/WORKED N/DRIVEN '51S OR 52'S, BUT AFTER BUYING MY '64, I REALLY LIKE THESE. THEY WERE THE "LAST" SOUTH BEND STUDES, AND HAD REFINED ENGINEERING; THEY DRIVE GREAT!
            IT LOOKS LIKE YOU WINTER(S) WILL BE SPENT IN THE GARAGE!!!I LOVE IT!!
            GOOD LUCK-O

Comment

Welcome to the board. I'm in Saskatchewan, and have a 64 Daytona sedan for a daily driver. Great car, welcome again. Email me if ya need any parts or assistance. What part of Manitoba are you from? Evan

Evan Davis
              Prairie Bulletin
              Saskatchewan Chapter
              Prince Albert, Sk
              Evan Davis
              Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Actually the floor and rockers in my Hawk were worse...Welcome to the group. You probably know that repro floors and rockers can be bought from Classic Enterprises in Wisconsin??

Home of the Almostahawk
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Welcome aboard. Keep us up-to-date on the progress. As has been said here, the 64s were good cars.
                  One thing you've got going for you is the amount of 64 parts there are to draw from! Lotsa NOS stuff still around.

I'd be like you in that I'd want to do the car because it's been a part of the family since new. That would certainly weigh heavy on my notion to give it new life!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

I have already ordered new rocker panels from Classic Enterprises. We haven't ordered the floors because my dad wasn't too happy with their quality the past couple of time he has ordered from them. He figures it's just as easy to make them ourselves. We might order the 6 body to frame mounts from them. We're pretty sure we'll need new ones but we haven't pulled the body off the frame yet to take a good look. Are the mounts easy to make or should we purchase new ones?

I've looked around and getting parts for her and that doesn't seem to be problem. It helps that my dad bought the old stock of parts from a Studebaker dealer here in the early 80's. He's pretty much sold the good stuff (got to love ebay) but has most of the mechanical parts that we need.

Later

Steve

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fargoguy

Welcome to the board. I'm in Saskatchewan, and have a 64 Daytona sedan for a daily driver. Great car, welcome again. Email me if ya need any parts or assistance. What part of Manitoba are you from?
                      Hi Evan,

Thanks for your offer of assistance. I might take you up on that.

I'm from Winnipeg and the car's at my parents about 20 minutes east of they city.

Comment

I've made body mounts, so it can be done but, for the price and time involved, I'd buy them before trying to make them again.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'm with Rockne on the body mounts-and it doesn't look like you need much floor anyway. The CE body mounts worked great for me.

Home of the Almostahawk
                          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                          X