Any Info Dealership in Anoka, Mn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Info Dealership in Anoka, Mn

This is a real long shot but does anybody know of the "Burke" Dealership in Anoka, Minnesota. Especially any relatives....looking for old info.
    Can't blame a guy for trying..

Thanks, Don.
    sigpic
    58 Golden Hawk
    DSamborski
    Pillager, MN

I knew Lawrence Burke. My 1947 Commander was almost certainly the last car he worked on. He was 90 years old and I can still see him draped over the fender working on something in the engine compartment one day when I came to see how things were going.

I believe his stock of parts was bought by Steven Allen's Studebaker in Florida. He had a son or two, but I know at least one son died in an accident before Lawrence passed away (in 2004 or 2005, I think).

My 1966 Cruiser (just sold in the last couple days) was bought brand new from Burke's dealership in Anoka. The original owners are still in their 60s and remember him well. If you'd like to talk to them I could get you contact information off-line.

When I first met him he was in his late 80s or about 90. He really enjoyed dancing and told me about how when he went to the place where the old-timers went to dance he could always find lots of female partners because most of the men their age were either deceased already or were physically unable to dance anymore.

That's probably WAY more than you wanted to know!
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

TO SCOTT:

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE........I AM RESTORING 58 GOLDEN HAWK MY DAD BOUGHT FROM BURKE......I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT IF THEY HAVE ANY OLD PAPER WORK LEFT AND NOT DESTROYED....
      MY E MAIL DONSAMBORSKI@BRAINERD.NET

PLEASE CONTACT ME.... THANKS, DON
      sigpic
      58 Golden Hawk
      DSamborski
      Pillager, MN

Comment

About Lawrence Burke

Lawrence Burke is my great grandfather. He actually had two sons, both of which passed before him, and both were sudden and tragic. I bought a 1958 Studebaker President from him around 2002. I was around 16, I used money out of my college fund to buy it. Money well spent. Only now have a started working on it with my cousin to be driven as a Sunday car, who is also a great grandson of Lawrence's. Every thing Scott said above is true. He worked on Studebakers well into his 90s. After his eyesight failed, he was nearly blind and everything was a blur to him, he would replace parts just by feel. I remember the basement of his home on the river in Elk River was a library of Studebaker parts. He also was chick magnet on the dance floor during his 90s. He would pretty much dance from the first dance to the last dance of the night. I've looked through this forum for references to him and I'm so excited to see all the chatter about him, not only about his Studebaker background, but about his character.

Comment

Some here might remember that on the cover of the International Meet guide in 1994 Lawrence Burke's hands were used in the cover photo handling some part. I still have the guide somewhere.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

More Info on Lawrence

Hi,

I knew Lawrence for many years. He worked on my '55 Commander often. He said that the '55s were mechanically very good. There are many current members of the North Star Chapter who would have a lot of info about Mr. Burke. Here is a link so you can see a picture of him as a young man;

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Dealers/page4.html#MN

You can PM me for more contacts so you can get the info you want.

Jim Ringquist
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              Some here might remember that on the cover of the International Meet guide in 1994 Lawrence Burke's hands were used in the cover photo handling some part. I still have the guide somewhere.

I had a chance to meet him in 1994 at the international, still have the hand out guide here myself.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

I don't recall ever having had the pleasure of meeting him but perhaps I saw one of his Studebaker's at a show. Did he ever show a car at the Northtown Mall in Blaine back in the late 1980's or at the big meet in 1994? I seem to recall being told that Lawrence bought out what few Studebaker parts remained at the Chrysler North Star garage in Milaca as they were also a Studebaker dealer from 1959 to 1962.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I and my family had the pleasure of knowing Lawrence for over forty five years. My Dad bought three new Studebakers from him, a 56 President, a 60 Champ half tone and a 63 Daytona Wagonair and I bought a used 58 Commander and my brother had a 55 coupe and a 63 Daytona Hardtop. Everything that was said above about him is true. A great guy, loved dancing and loved Studebakers. For the 94 meet his hands and shop were on the cover and on the inside was an article on his dealership along with pictures of the two locations he was in in Anoka. He knew most part numbers by heart and worked on the cars out of his home until his eye sight gave away.
                  I would visit him and can tell you that sometime in the late 70s or early 80s he got rid of all his records. I know this since I asked him if he still had them and he wished that he hadn't thrown the stuff away. I have some small memorabilia pieces that he gave me since I would often give him parts that he needed.
                  If anyone is interested I can try to post the pics of his dealership as well as some of the things he shared with me about his favorite cars over the years.

Brian Millette

Comment

Originally posted by 57 Classic View Post
                    I and my family had the pleasure of knowing Lawrence for over forty five years.
                    If anyone is interested I can try to post the pics of his dealership as well as some of the things he shared with me about his favorite cars over the years.

Brian Millette
                    Hi Brian, I for one would enjoy hearing and seeing more of this local Studebaker legend.
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Scott, I'm aware of the picture, I have the same picture in poster size hanging up in my house. Though I don't have the guide, that would be neat to have.

Comment

anoka dealer

I met Lawrence in the late 70's when i had a bodyshop in anoka. He brought me his gold lark convert. to repair some side damage and I repainted it up to the mlding on both sides. I had heard that he had passed away and one of his grandson's ended up with the car. After that he recomended me to a few of his customers. I did a yellow and white 55 for a guy in anoka and a black and red 60 or 61 hawk for a guy in st. paul mn. He sure could tune those old motors up sweet. He steered me on to a 58 golden hawk that he had sold new to the guy that ran Jacks Inn on 169. Do to life I had to sell it to a guy in wis. I now have a 58 sliver hawk I want to build into a pro street car and am looking for a 64 hawk gt.

Comment

I'm think his grandson that ended up with his Golden Lark is Kerry Jackson, he's still involved with Studebakers, in fact, he sends out the newsletter for the North Star Chapter of the Studebaker Driver's Club. That Golden Lark is currently in pieces because he's doing all the body work on it to get it fully restored. Brian is also correct about how well he know the part numbers, he knew most of them by heart.

Brian, I would love to hear any more stories you may have about him and see any pictures of him. I'm very curious about his history with Main Motors and Burke's Studebaker. He was quoted as once saying a long time ago "Why would I want to sell Chevrolets, they're not going to go anywhere" so I wonder if that's why he opened Burke's Studebaker. You would seem to know him best if you knew him for 45 years. I don't really have others to ask about it because Lawrence, his two sons, and his grandson (which is my Dad) have all passed away.

Comment

More on Lawrence

Hi,
                            I think if you keep searching you will find a lot of information on Lawrence. I agree that Brian is
                            your best bet. He will have photos and possibly some literature. One thing you are going to want to get is a copy of our 1994 International Meet book sponsored by the North Star Chapter.

I know that there are copies of this out there. I remember seeing what must have been a pile of 30-40 posters of the cover which shows Lawrence's hands and workbench. The inside has a short article also. I'm quite sure I know who took this photo. He hasn't been active for awhile but is a VERY interesting guy. I'll bet he would help.
                            I'll make an effort to track down some of these posters so you could get one. In fact, I'd like one myself.

P.S. I think I heard you joined the North Star Chapter. Good choice!!!

Jim Ringquist
                            Last edited by jamesr; 04-09-2012, 05:32 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Jim, that is the poster that I have in my house. Also, I have not joined the North Star Chapter yet, but I will soon. We hope to have my President running by the end of this week, maybe next. I spoke with Lawrence's grand daughter (my aunt) and she thinks she may have extra 1994 International Meet guides. After new white wall tires, I hope to get the interior re-done, its in bad shape, so any recommendations on where to go for that in Minnesota would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X