Tonight (Saturday, October 8, 2005) at The Muncie Dragway, Ted Harbit
    and the Stude Tomato bettered last week's 12.994 not once but SEVEN
    TIMES!!!

Ted reported a 12 MPH TAIL WIND, which of course really helps with a
    boxy 1963 front end. He also said the traction was excellent and the
    air was cool and dense; much more so than last week's record 12.994
    run. (If you remember, that's the first time he had been under 13
    seconds. And if you also remember, last week's Terminal Speed just over
    108 MPH was not the best the car has ever done.)

Forget all that 'CAUSE HERE'S WHAT HE DID TONIGHT: (Runs not in order,
    but NONE were as "slow" as last week's 12.994!)

12.942 @ 109.55 MPH
    12.913 @ 109.07 MPH
    12.879 @ 109.01 MPH
    12.839 @ 109.62 MPH
    12.786 @ 109.71 MPH
    12.761 @ 109.99 MPH

AND THE GRAND FINALE:

12.671!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @ 110.37 MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEE-HAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the 12.6s and over 110 MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'way to go, Ted!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Mr.Biggs replies:

Friggin' INCREDIBLE!!!! Ted - you IS da man!!![:0][][:0][][:0]
    12.67 and 110+ with a blunt-nosed R2 Lark!!!![}]
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Nice job Ted. You'll need to right a Stude power and driving secrets book!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Congrats, Ted!!

Does this mean the R2 Lark (Tomato) has run faster than the R3 Lark (Wrapper)? IIRC, the Wrapper has turned a best of 12.848 (but maybe that was just a PSMCD best?)

-Dick-
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Does this mean the R2 Lark (Tomato) has run faster than the R3 Lark (Wrapper)? IIRC, the Wrapper has turned a best of 12.848 (but maybe that was just a PSMCD best?)

-Dick-

For the time being, and technically, yes. [}]

The Plain Brown Wrapper's best ET anywhere, IIRC, has been 12.792. Ted did better than that last evening with his R2 Tomato, but The PBW would certainly have also done better with the ideal conditions under which Ted got into the 12.6s.

It was unseasonably cool in central Indiana last evening, and the air was very dense. [^] Remember, Ted referenced a 12 MPH tail wind, certainly a big help. And he said traction was great, so his 60-foot times were much better than average.

A 2.0 60-foot time is Ted's ideal, so to speak. Last evening, while getting in the 12s repeatedly, he had 60-foot times in the 2.05 range, he said, with the worst being 2.11. HOWEVER, his 60-foot times last evening included a 1.994, a 1.980, and a 1.977![]

With those conditions and the traction he referenced, he might have gotten The Plain Brown Wrapper close to 12.50...but it was at home resting. [8D]

Cheers. BP

BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Congrats, Ted!!

-Dick-
            The R 3 PBW has run almost 112 mph so it is definitely putting out more hp than the R 2 Tomato since it normally runs around 108. It might have been even more fun to have had the PBW there last night. I don't know if it would have had the 60' times the Tomato did since it has more power, it might have been more difficult to get those 60' foot times without spinning too much.

If I had to guess what the PBW would have turned, I would say about 12.30's! I say this because the PBW normally turns about four tenths quicker than the Tomato so only three tenths would have put it at a best of 12.37 with a mph of ?? 114??

I know the Tomato sure got a lot of attention turning consistently in the 12's on street tires. A few of the regulars had a little trouble convincing some of the newer attendies it was Studebaker powered and I had to open the hood a few times to prove to some of them it was a Studebaker engine.

Ted

Comment

EGGCELLENT TED! You da Studebaker Ambassador! (apologies to AMC[:0])

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The Studebaker wins again! There ain't no stoppin us now! What's next Ted? Great Job.
                -Jake

-long live the Studebaker-
                63 Avanti R2
                58 Transtar 4x4
                63 3/4 ton flatbed
                48 M-16
                62 1 1/2 flatbed

Comment

Very super TED.

Comment

Working...
                  X