Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a waste of a good car! This really surprised me too! My dad has a pretty nice 56 Champ two door, and I love it. It's still got the 185 six cylinder in it, but it's got dual exhaust with two "Cherry Bomb" mufflers on it. That car produces the sweetest music! I guess I'm a six cylinder kinda guy. I keep telling my dad that he needs to just go ahead and buy the 2 carburator setup from Cathcart, along with that cool finned aluminum head, but he has yet to do so. Maybe one day. And I've always thought that those cars would look great with back lighting in the grille.
    (a real, true 50's hot rod)
    If it doesn't work, here's the pic.

Matthew Burnette
    [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/yelstude2.jpg [/img]
    1963 Lark Daytona HT (6 cylinder, auto trans)
    lots more Studes
    lotsa parts too

Comment

As a body man and painter,I really like this car.But,I'd appreciate a lot more with stock chassis,and engine!!! Somebody threw a lot of money and work at this job.

Home of the Almostahawk
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I like stock and modified cars. There was a lot of work put into that car. Unfortunately, the thought that went into it appears to have stopped halfway thru the interior build. The dash has two speedometers, one of which is in the glove box, a tach hung where you can't see it, and a good looking console without a box to store stuff. How much will get lost in there?

Before I bought my '64, I had looked at a '56 Commander similar to the Ebay car. I just didn't think that what I wanted to do would translate well to that bodystyle. I still wouldn't mind hot rodding a '57 or '58 Packard Hdtp.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Ya know - I don't find this car "offensive", but once again, the ubiquitous 350, everybody's-got-one powertrain.
          Look at this thing - it's basically a Rod & Custom advertizer's special. The same old formula - flames, sculptured interior panels, billet this 'n that, 9" rear, blah - blah - blah........

It's one refreshing point is that it IS something different than the recurringly mind-numbing 57 Chevy or 49 Mercury.
          How interesting it COULD BE with some originallity to the powerplant. But Nooooooooooo..... yet another exciting <yawn> 350 drone clone.
          And the defense would be: "Hey! I spent all this money and sweat making it LOOK different and you expect it to BE different as well? That would cost too much![xx(]

Of course! That's just my very narrow-minded opinion. NOT a dicate.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yeah,some of these guys that want to do a 'retro rod' ought to be looking at Cadillac engines or some thing... I think a late model V-6 like the GM 4.3 would be a good power plant for a Lark type cars.
            Any thing but the SBC might be refreshing,or at least interesting.
            I didn't notice the speedo! How convenient!!!
            Home of the Almostahawk
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

Yeah,some of these guys that want to do a 'retro rod' ought to be looking at Cadillac engines or some thing... I think a late model V-6 like the GM 4.3 would be a good power plant for a Lark type cars.
              Any thing but the SBC might be refreshing,or at least interesting.
              I didn't notice the speedo! How convenient!!!
              Home of the Almostahawk
              I'm using the newer Gen III V-8 in my Daytona. But with gas prices increasing the way they have, I've given thoughts to either a 3.8L or 4.3L supercharged engine. The 4.3L should be a bolt-in swap in the Larks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

My mother always told me, "if you can't say anything nice about someone or something, then don't say anything".
                Nuf said.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Hi
                  In truth, the interest in and demand for '56 Champion sedans is so low that the guy who built it probably got it for near nothing. That is largely true for the Presidents and Commanders as well. I have been checking out all that have been offered for the last four years, most go begging for a new owner for years, sell very reasonably if they do trade.

The car offered is the typical boring spec package that is the current rod/custom, uniform mechanically, overdone paint/trim. I thought rodding/customizing was about building something unique and personal, not just another copy of all the copies written up in magazines. One friend observed after hours of walking the rows of cars at the National in Syracuse,NY. a few years ago "Haven't we already seen this row before?" Although we hadn't, the cars where just exact copies of those we had already seen. My response: "No, but when everyone copies what everyone else does so closely, this is the result."

Yes, a plain, old, honest work-a-day Champion is unexciting, but they were the cars that people used for transportation without pretense, and it is refreshing to see them in their original form.
                  Regards
                  Steve

Comment

I like all cars. I like cars that have been restored and cars that have been hot rodded. I think hot rods are a matter of taste and execution. A well done hot rod, provided that the appropriate attention to detail has been followed, can be a wonderful thing.

I know most on this board are more inclined to like stock or restored cars far more than a car that's been modified. I think there should be a little perspective involved. With the exception of the pre-war President models and the Avanti, there are few if any highly collectable Studebakers. They were all built in moderate to large volumn numbers and even today, not extremely hard to find.

I would frown as much as anyone to see a Pre-war President carved up by a hot rodders torch. But if some took, say, a '31 Dictator Roadster or a '56 Commander sedan and made a hot rod, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it. Many of these cars are still around and reasonably priced.

I will say this about this Commander. I think this car could have a little more thought put into it. Hot Rodded Stude's have the potential to draw just as many to the marque and a 100 pt. restoration. I don't look down at engine swaps, as there only so maany 289's and 259's to go around. Finding 289 cranks in good shape can be a small challenge, especially if it's been liberated from it's block. Cars sold as rollers make good candidates for a SBC to keep the rest of the car on the road at a reasonable price.

My interest in Studebakers is more toward the modified side, even if it's Studebaker powered. I would die for an all original R3 car, but wouldn't we all? There are only so many of these great cars to go around. The same with an R2 Avanti. I've always like Chrysler 300 letter cars, and would kill for a '57 300C or a '63 300J. I couldn't even think of tossing anything but the original parts on those cars. But when over 2500 '65 300L's produced, I have no issues putting a 440 where a 413 once rested.

So in the end, don't lament the loss of a '56 Commander to the world of the hot rod, but look at how many may be attracted to the world of Studebaker because it is different.

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Well put , Tom
                      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I'll agree as well Tom. Even though I'm a purist and hate to see hot rods made from good cars, I like the way you said that. Our 56 Champ 2-door is not a good performer at all, but it's smooth ride is nearly compairable to that of our 71 Caddy Eldo convertible. And that car is nothing more than a 2-ton Corvete...

Matthew Burnette
                        [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/yelstude2.jpg [/img]
                        1963 Lark Daytona HT (6 cylinder, auto trans)
                        lots more Studes
                        lotsa parts too

Comment

Working...
                        X