This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Fuel Pumps

Has anyone put an in line fuel pump on their stude and kept the mechanical one as well ? My truck after sitting for a few days is hard to start, takes alot of cranking to get the fuel up . I only want this fuel pump for loading the system on these kind of start ups then go back to the regular fuel pump. If I use the truck every day it starts right up but if it sits for a week or so then I have that first start up problem . Any pros or cons would be good to hear as well.

2R5, I did that type of instulation on a Kaiser, it functioned fine, no problems. I used the pump for startup after the car had sat weeks and if vapor lock was setting in.

Comment

I have used the dual fuel pump set-up on several Studes with only one problem,and it could have been nasty.
      I left the electric pump running(it was installed back by the gas tank) and it ruptured the diaphram in the cheap NAPA mecahical unit and filled my crankcase full of gas.
      This happened with the car sitting in the garage,being re-assembled and I caught it right away,but I can only imagine what could have happened had I been barreling along at 80 mph.
      Would have lunched the bearings for sure,and might have blew up the engine.

Comment

Yes , I've heard that if the mechanical fuel pump screws up you could end up filling the crankcase with gas . I was planning on using a push button instead of a switch so I wouldn't accidently leave the electronic one on by mistake . Sounds like this application does work though from what I've heard so far
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Be careful in your selection of a electric fuel pump as some will
          not allow the mechanical pump to "Pull through" fuel after it has been shut off.I use the system you have selected with a push button
          tro ensure shut-off.Another solution is to use a low pressure pump
          (3-9 psias your not feeding a zillion HP motor

Comment

What is the advantage to keeping the stock fuel pump? Why not just replace it with the electric?

Comment

Nothing wrong with just an electric unit,thats what I run on the Hawk,but I kept the meachanical one there just for looks,and you have to look close to see that its not hooked up (G).
              But on the other hand,Ive driven many miles in many Studebakers without any electric pumps,and I know most everyone else has too,with no problems,thats the way they came.
              But lately Ive had a run of bad luck with NAPA units (guess I should be buying them from one of our vendors)where one new one failed as soon as it was installed,another lasted about a week.I took it in an gota replacement which I tossed in the trunk for emergencys,but Ive lost faith in them.
              Mabey its their supplier,mabey the units are really quite old and have sat for years,or something to do with todays gas???
              The mechanical one on my truck was there when I bought it and it still runs like a bear.

Comment

I am thinking putting on a electric fuel pump on my 51 commander but I want it to look original so I am thinking of taking the guts out of the pump and making a steel plate and gasket for the inside . Then hooking up the electric pump on the ignition side of switch and run it through oil pressure switch. Then wire a parralell circut with a push button that way I can run the pump by hand but it will stop in case of a accident. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Comment

Working...
                X