JM Studebaker (Wheelbarrow Johnny" book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JM Studebaker (Wheelbarrow Johnny" book

Years ago I read a book something like, "John Mohler Studebaker - An American xxxx"

No one in my chapter responded to my plea, so I will ask the forum folks:
    What was the name of the book and author of the book?

I will see if my library system can find a copy for resaerch for my talk at the musuem.

Thanks,
    Karl Haas

John Studebaker - An American Dream. It was published in 1948 by Dutton.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

John Studebaker - An American Dream. It was published in 1948 by Dutton.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Amazon.com
        John Studebaker, An American Dream (by Edwin Corle)

quote:Originally posted by sumf

Years ago I read a book something like, "John Mohler Studebaker - An American xxxx"

I will see if my library system can find a copy for resaerch for my talk at the musuem.

Thanks,
        Karl Haas
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Amazon.com
          John Studebaker, An American Dream (by Edwin Corle)

Thanks,
          Karl Haas
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks, folks.

I hope that you got to Placerville (Hangtown)during the Sacraento IM. It's nice to see where all that action tok place.
            Another great book is "Me and the Mo0del T. It's about a Ford dealer of that era in the Yakima Valley of Washington State during that period.

When read it, I didn't like Fords (still holds true) had never been to Washington State, wasn't of that era and so on.
            Even with all that, I enjoyed every page of it!

Borrow it from you Ford buddy. If he doesn't have a cpy, offer tp go 50/450 on a copy, then flip for it after you've read it. You'll want it as much as he will.
            The last I heard, his daughter or granddaughter was selling it and it was on the net.

Better idea - give it to your library, if they romise to put it one the shelf. Make other folks happy.

Karl

Karl

Comment

Thanks, folks.

I hope that you got to Placerville (Hangtown)during the Sacraento IM. It's nice to see where all that action tok place.
              Another great book is "Me and the Mo0del T. It's about a Ford dealer of that era in the Yakima Valley of Washington State during that period.

When read it, I didn't like Fords (still holds true) had never been to Washington State, wasn't of that era and so on.

Borrow it from you Ford buddy. If he doesn't have a cpy, offer tp go 50/450 on a copy, then flip for it after you've read it. You'll want it as much as he will.
              The last I heard, his daughter or granddaughter was selling it and it was on the net.

Better idea - give it to your library, if they romise to put it one the shelf. Make other folks happy.

Karl

Karl

Comment

Thanks, folks.
                Karl,
                FWIW, this is the text of an email I received from the ElDorado County Museum Director re when we go through Placerville this summer. You might want to check the book she mentions.
                "The County tourism director, Sue Russell, forwarded your email to me. I hope you plan to make a stop at the El Dorado County Museum when you are in Placerville. We are located at 104 Placerville Dr. in Placerville, next to the Fairgrounds. We have a number of Studebaker items in our collection. The one we're most proud of is an original wheelbarrow that he made in 1850s while living here. We also display a photograph that was taken when he came back to visit in 1912. There was even a booklet that was written in his honor at that time which we have reprinted and sell in booklet form. Its called "Old Hangtown or Bust."
                You mentioned staying over night on June 5. We can open for your group on Tuesday, June 5 or if the next day is better for you, we are open to the public 10 - 4. Our website is www.co.el-dorado.ca.us/museum
                Mary Cory, Director
                El Dorado County Historical Museum"
                Also, you might contact Fred Fox. He has a lot of Wheelbarrow Johnny information.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                Museum R-4 engine
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thanks, folks.
                  Karl,
                  FWIW, this is the text of an email I received from the ElDorado County Museum Director re when we go through Placerville this summer. You might want to check the book she mentions.
                  "The County tourism director, Sue Russell, forwarded your email to me. I hope you plan to make a stop at the El Dorado County Museum when you are in Placerville. We are located at 104 Placerville Dr. in Placerville, next to the Fairgrounds. We have a number of Studebaker items in our collection. The one we're most proud of is an original wheelbarrow that he made in 1850s while living here. We also display a photograph that was taken when he came back to visit in 1912. There was even a booklet that was written in his honor at that time which we have reprinted and sell in booklet form. Its called "Old Hangtown or Bust."
                  You mentioned staying over night on June 5. We can open for your group on Tuesday, June 5 or if the next day is better for you, we are open to the public 10 - 4. Our website is www.co.el-dorado.ca.us/museum
                  Mary Cory, Director
                  El Dorado County Historical Museum"
                  Also, you might contact Fred Fox. He has a lot of Wheelbarrow Johnny information.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                  '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                  '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                  Museum R-4 engine
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thanks, Paul.

I think that wheelbarrow was on display in Sacto at the 2004 IM.

I loved travelling the "Gold Country" and miss living in NorCal when I think of it.

Will you folks risk the "Old Priest Grade???"
                    I wonder how the drivers did it when it was new.

Karl

Comment

Thanks, Paul.

I think that wheelbarrow was on display in Sacto at the 2004 IM.

I loved travelling the "Gold Country" and miss living in NorCal when I think of it.

Will you folks risk the "Old Priest Grade???"
                      I wonder how the drivers did it when it was new.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                      X