This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I GOT MY LICENSE PLATES BACK

My friends and I have a little tradition of starting a car project with a small pidilly item to get an "Ohhhhh" or an "Ahhhhh". Projects have been started with shifter knobs, air cleaners, etc. A few months back, before I torn into the Daytona, I purchased a set of Michigan license plates (1962) and an unused set of tabs (1964). Here in Michigan, we can run the same year plate as the car (YOM = Year of Manufacturer). I sent the plates out to a local restorer and just got them back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

I swear, the way one needs to jury rig a photo to get it to show is horrible. Whatever I said about updating this website, double it

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Your plates look excellent, but in New York State it is illegal to use restored plates on your vehicle. NYS does allow YOM plates, but they have to be good originals.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The same is true in Massachusetts. Here in Michigan, it's not an issue. Of course in New York, Massachusetts and California, I'd register the plates first, and then restore them [}].

I have a set of 1959 plates I just got for a song and a set of unused '61 tabs to go with. I think these will be the next to go thru the process.

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

California allows YOM plates as well. They are sticky only about the year stamped on the plates and the stickers they require. One can restore the plates as long as the original colours are used.

My '62 sedan has 63 plates on it, but they were verified by documentation with the DMV (previous owner non-op'ed it). So my '62 has the black and yellow plates. My '62 pickup had '63 plates as well, but they would'nt let me use them as they were'nt backed by documentation. So I would have to go with '58 plates and a '62 sticker before they will allow me to do YOM plates. The truck still had the licence plate frame from Capitol Studebaker on it. The proper plates and sticker would cost me a pretty penny too. By the way, I peeled the reg. stickers off the truck plates and found a '62 sticker on it. Do you think they would let me use the plates? NOT!

By the way, your plates are beautiful! Did you have to cut another set of plates to get that year stamp, or do they come that way?

Lotsa Larks!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Those are the metal renewal tabs issued by the state in 1964. California was the first state to used the decals for renewals in 1957 for the 1956 base plate. Michigan used these metal tabs in 1960 & 1961 for the 1959 plates, and again in '63 & '64 for the 1962 plates. These were only for the passenger cars. All other plates (pick-up, farm, dealer, etc.) used the ugly olive base with gold/yellow numbers. Michigan allows YOM plates on cars 25 years or older. Michigan doesn't require the plates to be cleared.

The California YOM law says that those '56 plates must be cleared by the DMV. Plates that have been cleared will bring considerably more than plates that are not cleared. The yearly renewal decals were only used on the back plate, so only one is required. These can be found at license plate shows (unused originals). These can be a little pricey as well.

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I had the original black plates for my 62 Hawk but the dmc here in cali wouldn`t let me use them because the car had been registered in nm for two years even thou the plates where still in the system.
              If anybody knows a way around this please let me know. Thanks Dan

[8D] 62 GT Hawk

Comment

Dan, I would check to see if the plates are 'clear'. It could be possible that someone is using the numbers on your plate as a YOM. If I remember correctly, the 1956-1962 plates use the same numbers in sequence. If the numbers are clear, and you have the vehicle history, it seems that there is a way to get those plates back on your car. It could depend completely on who you get at the DMV.

The other way around this would be to get a set of the '62 plates that are cleared. The plates are out there and so are the decals.

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Working...
                X