This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Blown Stude

A few weeks ago I wrote asking why my turbocharged 289 had such a problem pulling 12,000 lbs. Over a month ago we changed the plugs and a few other things. One plug was dropped but we didn't notice that it closed the gap completely. It was about midnight when we did this and we were under the gun. We drove our truck and trailer pulling at least 10-12,000 lbs all the way up to donner summit and back down. We had trouble with it missing and detonating. I have made a few other heavy hauls with the truck since then and just last night checked the plugs and one wasn't firing at all. I went all the way up there on SEVEN cylinders. I still have trouble with getting more than 3 lbs of boost. If anyone has advice I'd appreciate it. I was also wondering what I could do to improve the octane in the fuel? Thanks.
    Jake Varozza

I would want to know why that plug had no gap. How is the gauge taped in to read the pressure? There are 2 different ways to read the pressure and 2 different readings you get. And I would want to know if there is any damage inside the engine or turbo from that detonation. I have had turboed Studes run with a hole in the piston the size of a quarter and all I knew was that at full throtle it would blow off the breather cap.

Comment

The plug had no gap because one fell when installing them. It was late at night and I know I checked it but I can't remember. I'm sure the plug just fell on the spot and closed up the gap. I'm also running water injection but it doesn't seem to much too much difference. It stopped pinging but now it detonates. I just drove the truck and trailer into town and I pulled a few hills, got on it and got 3 lbs of boost. It seemed to run great. Its not missing any more because I replaced the plug. The boost presure reading is from the intake manifold. Its an aluminum manifold from Stone. Where else could you measure the boost? Thanks.
      Jake

Comment

This is kinda like asking what color your teeth are!

Most everyone can say "white".........but what shade of white?

Leaking intake gasket, bonnet gasket, pressure tube, crack in anything mentioned. A bad blower....take your pick at possible situations. Week valve springs, low timing, slipping belt, wrong pully size.....the list could go on and on.

Comment

Some of these could be true and the only way to really find out is to tear into the engine and find out. The engine was rebuilt by my dad about 25 years ago. It sat for most of those years until 5 or 6 years ago when we put it in the truck. Could it have hurt the engine to have been sitting? There are hardly any miles on it and the turbo has also been rebuilt recently. My only guess is that maybe from the detonation or pinging it has done some damage now? When not under a load and no boost in packed in the truck runs fine. Would some of those problems be unoticed because the truck is not under a load? Or would I notice them?

Comment

Sitting for all those years could cause trouble with the rings, gaskets and bearings. To check the turbo block off the exhaust pipe and see if it still runs, what you are telling me sounds like leak in the exhaust between the turbo and the engine. If the engine dies then remove the pluming at both ends of the turbo and look at the impeller wheels and see if there is any damage to the wheels and try to spin it with your fingers there should be a slight drag but it won't spin freely and shouldn't hit the walls of the diffuser.

Comment

The dollar store sells a gas additive that works quite well for my cars. It ups the octaine of regular to premium. Treats twenty gallons of gas or more. I use it for two tanks of gas. About 30 to 35 ([?]) gallons of gas.

Lotsa Larks!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Jake; I checked my references for Rjay and the closest compressor map I could come up with is for 2-301E70 but the 70 on the tag dose not mean .7 AR ratio the AR ratio is cast into the exhaust housing at the bottom flange, it should read .58 ,.69,or .81 . Still what you are telling me seems to indicates about 40,000 rpm impeller speed @ 1.2 pressure ratio which indicates leakage between the headers and the turbo or damage to the turbo itself.

Comment

Driving the truck yesterday I only had about 3500 lbs behind it and it ran good. It didn't miss once. I also put my foot in it to see how much boost I could get and I got up to 3 without any pinging or detonating and then I had to back off because I was going too fast. I have put 100 octane leaded fuel in the truck and it ran perfect. BUT I never tried the aviation fuel when I pulled a load. I've tried the fuel additives but they're not the same. After fixing the plug the trucks seems much better. Alan, the rayjay has been rebuilt not too long ago and we looked at it again just recently, it seemed fine. The a/r ratio is .7. Is this turbo ok for this engine? I bought some brand new Garrett T04's last year but haven't tried them. Are they good turbo's to put on a Stude V8? Thanks.

Comment

To4 O-.81 with a 2-S-3 trim for a single, or TO4 N-.40 with a 2-Y-4 trim for a dual. Worked for them for over 25 years, they are paying my pension, how can I say anything bad about them?

Comment

Working...
                    X