PO'ed at PO's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PO'ed at PO's

Having not had a Studebaker in some 25 years, it is like stepping back into the past. It is a past that I think some owners do not really want to participate in. They think their Studes look good, and that is all that needs to happen. I know that a new car has O grease fittings. Does that mean something built 40+ years ago, is of the same technology? I know you only change the struts(shocks)on a new car when the thing throws you in the ditch. If one were to peruse the owners manual of a Studebaker, they would find a bunch of items that need to be addressed every thousand miles. I know that some new cars only are getting their second, or third tank of gas at a thousand miles, and are going to go 10,000 miles, either intentionally, or unintentionally on an oil change.
    So, the question is: Why do some people try to imprint new values on something built that long ago?
    Both of my parents recently passed away. Some of the younger kids mused that they were not "with it". They lived thru the depression, WW11,and a list of other things that would change one's perspecive. Yet, here they were, being judged by standards of today.
    Same with an old car. One must get their arms around the technology of the day, and not today.
    I have been looking to buy king pin rebuilding kits, for my GT, because it handled so badly. I thought that just as long as I was replacing the shocks, I might as well grease the car, even though some of the fitting shown that they had been done recently.
    It took 4 hours to grease the car, because most of the grease fittings had not seen grease in decades, not years. I had to take a lot of them apart, clean them out and replace the zerk.
    As I replaced the shocks, the threads on the nuts remained with the bolts, they had been there so long. One of the shocks still had the tag on it. It did not match the one on the other side of the back. It was a Delco "Pleasurizer". I personally have never heard of one of those. Beside being kinda politically incorrect by todays standards, it was frozen. It was not AC Delco, just Delco.
    Needless to say, the car handles much better, and doesn't need king pins. Just someone who cares. The car drives better, and I feel better after this rant. It is just frustrating to see something left in this condition when it takes so little to maintain, and so much to fix when it has been ignored.

The easy answer is that they don't know better and that new equals greatly improved. I've dabbled with old cars for a long time now and I'm aware of the far shorter service requirement times. With a standard point ignition system, most service manuals suggested tune ups in the 10,000 mile to 15,000 mile range. No, you won't get 100,000 miles before the next one. And then there's setting the points, replacing the condenser and cap & rotor.

Studebaker suggested oil changes every 4000 miles and Chrysler advised every 7500 miles. And this was with the oils used at the time. The 3000 mile oil change was a oil company gimmick to sell more oil. Even today, many car owners manuals suggest oil changes in excess of the 3000 mile 'standard'.

But in the day, tires lasted 20,000 miles if you were lucky and brakes around 15,000 miles. This was why there was a gas station/garage on every corner. Try finding a 'technician' at the local quicky mart/gas station. Remember, and this is coming from someone who graduated high school in 1982, most people under 35 have never even been to a full service gas station.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The easy answer is that they don't know better and that new equals greatly improved. I've dabbled with old cars for a long time now and I'm aware of the far shorter service requirement times. With a standard point ignition system, most service manuals suggested tune ups in the 10,000 mile to 15,000 mile range. No, you won't get 100,000 miles before the next one. And then there's setting the points, replacing the condenser and cap & rotor.

Studebaker suggested oil changes every 4000 miles and Chrysler advised every 7500 miles. And this was with the oils used at the time. The 3000 mile oil change was a oil company gimmick to sell more oil. Even today, many car owners manuals suggest oil changes in excess of the 3000 mile 'standard'.

But in the day, tires lasted 20,000 miles if you were lucky and brakes around 15,000 miles. This was why there was a gas station/garage on every corner. Try finding a 'technician' at the local quicky mart/gas station. Remember, and this is coming from someone who graduated high school in 1982, most people under 35 have never even been to a full service gas station.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I agree with Tom. I don't think most of those PO's were being mean spirited...they just weren't familiar with the maintenance of 1960's cars.

I wonder how many of us would know all the ins and outs of maintaining and keeping a '23 Studebaker running (for example)?

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree with Tom. I don't think most of those PO's were being mean spirited...they just weren't familiar with the maintenance of 1960's cars.

I wonder how many of us would know all the ins and outs of maintaining and keeping a '23 Studebaker running (for example)?

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

My very first 'ride' was a '49 Studebaker "Commander", if my memory serves me correctly. That was back in the mid 1950's....the "dark ages" to some, I am sure.

Since then, I have run the gamet of cars, from 6 cyl Fords, to dual quad ram inducted Mopars, to rat-motor Chevies, to the fire-breathing 440 horsepower monster in the garage next to my latest acquisition, a '62 Studebaker GT Hawk.

I have now come full circle in the business of owning cars. Yes, the shiney Torch Red Corvette sitting next to the shiny black Stude is definitely a technological marvel, there's no doubt about that. It almost runs itself.

With a slight upgrade to the onboard computer, I have no doubts that me and the car could actually conduct a reasonably intelligent conversation while eating up the miles on the highway, getting 30 mpg while doing 75 mph.

But in spite of all that technology, I "thirsted" for some of that so-called "old technology", where the car depended on me as much as I depended on it for continued survival.

I can certainly sympathize with the poster who feels a particular affinity with these "old school" automobiles. And in spite of all their technological shortcomings, I am more at ease with my Stude than I am with that Corvette.

Why?......well if for no other reason, if something were to happen and I'd find myself broke down along side the highway, there is a good chance I can probably fix the Stude and get her going long enough to reach the next populated area, while with the superior and highly advanced Vette, I'd just throw my hands up in frustration and disgust and call for a tow-truck to come and get me and my sorry technological miracle car.

Greasing a few zerks on frequent occasions, changing the oil more often, making sure there is always a sufficient amount of lining left on the brake shoes, gapping the spark plugs and distributor points.....all part of the "love affair" a person develops with his automobile.

I missed that. It's why I came back. And why there's now an old Sudebaker in my garage after a 50 year absense. Life once again has taken on a new "sense of meaning". I don't "imprint" todays values on the old car.....on the contrary, I welcome the old values back again. It was from a time when things were not necessarily any 'simpler', but it was a lot more 'fun'.

Some people just don't know what they're missing by not getting an old car and recapturing a piece of their past.....in a way, yes you can "go back". I did.[8D]

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

My very first 'ride' was a '49 Studebaker "Commander", if my memory serves me correctly. That was back in the mid 1950's....the "dark ages" to some, I am sure.

Since then, I have run the gamet of cars, from 6 cyl Fords, to dual quad ram inducted Mopars, to rat-motor Chevies, to the fire-breathing 440 horsepower monster in the garage next to my latest acquisition, a '62 Studebaker GT Hawk.

I have now come full circle in the business of owning cars. Yes, the shiney Torch Red Corvette sitting next to the shiny black Stude is definitely a technological marvel, there's no doubt about that. It almost runs itself.

With a slight upgrade to the onboard computer, I have no doubts that me and the car could actually conduct a reasonably intelligent conversation while eating up the miles on the highway, getting 30 mpg while doing 75 mph.

But in spite of all that technology, I "thirsted" for some of that so-called "old technology", where the car depended on me as much as I depended on it for continued survival.

I can certainly sympathize with the poster who feels a particular affinity with these "old school" automobiles. And in spite of all their technological shortcomings, I am more at ease with my Stude than I am with that Corvette.

Why?......well if for no other reason, if something were to happen and I'd find myself broke down along side the highway, there is a good chance I can probably fix the Stude and get her going long enough to reach the next populated area, while with the superior and highly advanced Vette, I'd just throw my hands up in frustration and disgust and call for a tow-truck to come and get me and my sorry technological miracle car.

Greasing a few zerks on frequent occasions, changing the oil more often, making sure there is always a sufficient amount of lining left on the brake shoes, gapping the spark plugs and distributor points.....all part of the "love affair" a person develops with his automobile.

I missed that. It's why I came back. And why there's now an old Sudebaker in my garage after a 50 year absense. Life once again has taken on a new "sense of meaning". I don't "imprint" todays values on the old car.....on the contrary, I welcome the old values back again. It was from a time when things were not necessarily any 'simpler', but it was a lot more 'fun'.

Some people just don't know what they're missing by not getting an old car and recapturing a piece of their past.....in a way, yes you can "go back". I did.[8D]

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

And in some cases the car was just being used as a second or third car, the people were cheap, and they figured it didn't matter; all the car had to do was run long enough until they could afford to buy something else. Sadly enough, many people just didn't maintain their cars as they should have been, even back in the days when more frequent maintenance was required.

Comment

And in some cases the car was just being used as a second or third car, the people were cheap, and they figured it didn't matter; all the car had to do was run long enough until they could afford to buy something else. Sadly enough, many people just didn't maintain their cars as they should have been, even back in the days when more frequent maintenance was required.

Comment

Pleasurizers were in use in 1968, because my father had new shocks placed on his Buick in 1968, they were pleasurizers. As I recall they were gas filled and not oil fill shocks.

Comment

Pleasurizers were in use in 1968, because my father had new shocks placed on his Buick in 1968, they were pleasurizers. As I recall they were gas filled and not oil fill shocks.

Comment

How about a 500 mile oil change interval(with filter)? And greasing once a month. Some items were done once a week. My 27 dictator.

Terry

Comment

How about a 500 mile oil change interval(with filter)? And greasing once a month. Some items were done once a week. My 27 dictator.

Terry

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dictator27

Terry
                            Terry, I'm sure you don't drive this car every day and the oil change frequency probably doesn't seem often enough, eh?

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dictator27

Terry
                              Terry, I'm sure you don't drive this car every day and the oil change frequency probably doesn't seem often enough, eh?

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Working...
                              X