This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner of a 63 Lark-questions...

Hi all. I just bought a 63 Studebaker Lark. It is a 2 door sedan with no rust. The rest of the car needs LOTs of work. The car has a 6cyl/auto trans. Radio delete. Not sure what my plans are for it as I am not sure how rare this car is-Should I keep it stock or make it into a Nostalgia racer? Any good venders for parts-esp trim pieces? The car is U.S built. Any good Lark websites?
    Thanks for any insight!
    Todd
    Ontario, Canada

Todd, Your car is too rare but its better than a 4 door sedan. Its your car so you do what you want with it. BUT if you want an opinion, I would yank the 6cyl and put in an 8. Either 259 or 289ci. If you have the money it would be a nice hot rod. I love to see more Studes out there on the track that are still Sude powered. Parts are pretty easy to come by. There are many vendors who have a lot of parts. Like I said your car your choice. Just a few suggestions. If you want a list of websites you can find them on this SDC website.
    -Jake Varozza

-When all else fails drive the Studebaker-

Comment

Todd, If you haven't joined the SDC, you need to do so, with your membership you will recieve the TW magazine monthly, there are several stude vendors that advertise in it plus there are several individuals that buy,sell, & trade in the classified section. In my opinion, this mag. is a must if you own a stude. There is a fella in Springfield, Missouri that has been parting out approx. 150, 1959 to 1966 Studebakers, primarily Larks, I have gotten some of my replacement stainless trim from him. He has engines, rear ends, glass, radios, you name it, some in good condition, some in not so good condition, all pretty reasonably priced. He has an adv. in the T.W. classifieds every month. His name is Dan Olmes (sp) phone # (417) 831-1980.

Good Luck,

Studebaker Fever
      60 Lark
      51 Champion
      Phil

Studebaker Fever
      60 Lark
      56 Power Hawk
      Phil Hendrickson
      Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll look into the newsletter. Currently I'm trying to sort out title issues with the car. It came from Pa. and at some point found it's way into Ontario. The couple that brought it into Ontario split up and left the car in storage for 10 years and never picked it up. The owner of the garage managed to jump thru the legal hoops to get ownership but since they never found the Pa title they must have guessed on the year and now the Ontario ownerships states it as a 59. The guy I bought it from is in his 70's and must have poor eyesight so he put a "5" as the third digit of the vin instead of an "S".. Other than that I am amazed at how rust free the car is. That's what sold me and the fact it's a 2 door sedan. I love the early Super Stock look and can picture the car black with red interior and wide-white cheater slicks on the back with Radir wheels.. The 6 cylinder/auto trans have been cleaned up and look excellent. Is there a market for this engine/trans? Was this an Studebaker designed motor or one of the big 3 sixes?
        Thanks
        Todd
        P.S Any other Lark owners in Ontario? I'm near London

Comment

Hey Todd. Congratulations on your purchase. I am currently fixing up a 63 Lark two door hard top. It also has the 6 cylinder with automatic trans. I am going to keep mine this way, mainly because I have never seen another 6 cylinder Lark HT. I know that they are out there, but where are they??? Wel, I do know of one other, but it's in pretty bad shape...

Matthew Burnette
          [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/yelstude2.jpg [/img]
          63 Daytona HT
          lots more Studes
          lotsa parts too

Comment

The 170 cubic inch inline six is a Studebaker engine that started out as a flathead and was converted to an overhead for the 1961 model year.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My '59 Lark hardtop is also a 6 cyl with auto transmission. Although the acceleration is leisurely, I wouldn't change it from its original equipment. After it gets under way, it cruises at 60 mph without problem. I've owned the car for 14 years and love it.
              At least with the '63, it's an overhead valve 6 and should be a little peppier than mine. Keep in mind that if you change to a V-8, you'll have to change the springs, shocks and motor mounts on the car. You'll also have to upgrade the brakes.
              Best of luck with your car.
              By the way, I also strongly suggest that you join the Studebaker Drivers Club. Just getting the monthly "Turning Wheels" magazine is worth the price of admission.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

All this talk about 2-dr Larks - I've got a local Stude friend that wants to sell a rock-solid 62 2-dr sedan that he had high hopes of making a racer out of. But financial realities dictate that that'll never happen so he's hoping to find a home for it.
                It needs WORK It has no driveline at all but it's had a 44 rear and finned V8 brakes fitted all around even tho it was a 6cylinder originally. No rot anywhere and all the glass is there and intact - just that the side windows aren't installed. In fact, it has no seats or interior at all save for a dash and steering wheel/column.
                What it's got going for it is it's rot-free body. The $600 he's asking for it is less than you'd pay some body shop to patch a few rust holes. Contact me if you're interested.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Now THAT is a deal...

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

All this talk about 2-dr Larks - I've got a local Stude friend that wants to sell a rock-solid 62 2-dr sedan that he had high hopes of making a racer out of. But financial realities dictate that that'll never happen so he's hoping to find a home for it.
                  It needs WORK It has no driveline at all but it's had a 44 rear and finned V8 brakes fitted all around even tho it was a 6cylinder originally. No rot anywhere and all the glass is there and intact - just that the side windows aren't installed. In fact, it has no seats or interior at all save for a dash and steering wheel/column.
                  What it's got going for it is it's rot-free body. The $600 he's asking for it is less than you'd pay some body shop to patch a few rust holes. Contact me if you're interested.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                  '37 Coupe Express
                  '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                  '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

heck yeah that is a deal. If I had the $$ and space for another car I'd be on it like stink on you know what.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    62 Daytona hardtop
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Mr. Biggs, where is this car located? I paid $800 Canadian for mine which works out to about $600 U.S. Sounds like they are both in the same condition! I love the 2 door post-no option kind of cars for some strange reason! Great sleepers!
                      Todd

Comment

My uncle is wanting one to make a sleeper out of. A no frills, no trim kinda car. Just something that will GO GO GO!!!
                        Not even hup caps...

Matthew Burnette
                        [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/yelstude2.jpg [/img]
                        63 Daytona HT
                        lots more Studes
                        lotsa parts too

Comment

looks like a decent, solid little car to me!

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          62 Daytona hardtop
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Just what I was looking for Mr. Biggs. That gives me all the parts I need to complete two cars. Now one small detail. What's this money everyone is talking about?[)] I never get to see any.[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

The Ontario Chapter has several members in the London area.

For info: www.ontariosdc.ca

Lots of parts available too.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X