This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Placerville's Studebaker History

For all of you who don't know about Placerville, California. Placerville is where John M. Studebaker starting making wheel barrows for the miners. Every year at our county fair they have wheel barrow races with old style wheel barrows. There is a rugged course set up with logs, rocks and mud pits that men have to take their wheel barrows full of ore through. Other than that and a sign that says John M. Studebaker there are no monuments. Where the Studebaker dealership used to be its now a parking lot and a restaurant. Just after WWII my grandfather went to work for the Studebaker dealership and then bought it. He sold it when Studebaker started going out of business. For me Studebakers and Placerville have been kinda special. Our 1958 Transtar 4x4 used to be my grandpa's demonstrator for that year. We converted it to four wheel drive about seven years ago after we got Studebaker running gear. There's just a short history of Studebakers importance in Placerville. If anyone has questions, comments or wants some pictures, just respond.
    Randy Varozza

I enjoyed reading his biography, especially the Hangtown years.
    IIRC, I never did read "Hangtown of Bust"

sumf

Comment

Working...
    X