This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Quiz

I was coming out of the barber shop this afternoon - headed for the driver's door of the Transtar.
    As I slide the key into the lock, I hear someone holler from behind: "That your Studebaker? - What year is it, '55?"

"No, '57."

"Uh-huh, Thought so. Do you know much about Studeebakers?"

I paused for a moment and I told myself that I had other places to be and I could tell any sarcasam would be lost on this guy. I said: "Yeah, I know a thing 'er two"

"WELL THEN! - just what year did they start makin' 'em?"

"1852" I replied. "Same year as this town was founded."

"Ya see - that's just when they got inta buildin' wagons. They started way before then in Pennsylvania."

"Really?"

"Yup! Ol' Clem Studebaker was the father and he started buildin' wheelbarrahs in Pennsylvania."
    Didja know that Clem was the dad's name? Betcha can't name the five sons. Can ya?"

"Ahhhh......"

And about that time, a friend of this walking archive tapped him on the back to get his attention.
    With that bit of distraction, I ducked into the Stude and cranked it up before I could get further edookate'd.[xx(]

BTW - I'll be away from this desk for about 8 or 9 days. Goin' back to Mitch-i-gan to visit with me mammy and watch Ted Harbit embarrass some Big Block Big Three stuff. Should be a fun time.
    Lookin' to meet some of you from the forum there!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

I always thought the father of the 5 brothers was named John Clement Studebaker. Did he not use the name "John", and just went by "Clem"?[?] There is no mention of the name "Clement" on his grave marker in SB's City Cemetery. Interesting stuff.[^]

Comment

Who would have thunk it,a guy asking StudeBob Studebaker questions he couldn't answer(G)
      By the way what was their mothers name? I remember that pic with the five brothers and the Mom.All the boys had really long beards,I think any one of them would have looked cool on a Harley with ape hangers and his feet out in the wind(G)
      By the way Biggs,you have a great time(thats a given) and mabey Ted will let Ya run that thing a time or two yourself.

Comment

Rebecca Mohler was their mother's name. She died April 1, 1887.

Comment

those beards? the brothers had a rock and roll band part time.they had a big local following,in SB..You've heard one of their songs,redone by a modern group-Sharp Dressed Man.

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

While the family profession was smithing, it is also incorrect to believe they made cough drops.

Two brothers and a cousin emmigrated from Solingen, Germany and arrived in Philadelphia July 1, 1736 aboard the ship Haarle. They took up farming and smithing.

John Clement opened a blacksmith shop outside East Berlin, Pa in 1836. The Keystone Region maintains a monument at that site. His brother David built a house in East Berlin that is still there.

John Clement moved his family to Ashland, Ohio where the Studebaker Family Association is still headquartered, then on to South Bend.

The Family Assoiation maintains an extensive history and it is a fascinating read.

Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

While at the Internatioal meet in S.B. in 02,Diane and I were at the cemetary looking at the Studebaker monuments.
              We met a family of Studebakers there (live ones) who filled us in on some history.
              Also I believe the Studebaker family has a reunion in Ohio annually.
              Meeting real live Studebakers really connects you with the past.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

BTW - I'll be away from this desk for about 8 or 9 days. Goin' back to Mitch-i-gan to visit with me mammy and watch Ted Harbit embarrass some Big Block Big Three stuff. Should be a fun time.
                Have a safe trip, Bob. Take a bunch of pictures.

-Dick-
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yea 52Hawk,Ive heard them,they did another song I really like "Tush"

Comment

I had the pleasure of meeting some real Studebaker folks a few months ago when the Keystone chapter provided some cars for their wedding. I drove the brides mother and father in my 60 hawk
                    Jeff Sheaffer
                    Driving the past into the future

Comment

we have all been pronouncing the name of our beloved vehicles incorrectly by the way.

The Studebaker family was originally from Germany, the pronounciation of their name therefore would be "Shhtootabaker"

Comment

Im sure they had their name"Americanized" soon after arriving as so many immigrants did.

Comment

The Family Association has a copy of a letter written in 1737 and signed by Clemens and Peder Studenbecker. From what I have read, when they arrived in Philadelphia the name was recorded as Studebaker and no other immigrants have ever been recorded with that name, making anyone with the surname Studebaker a direct descendant.

Shtootenpecker?
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The grandfather-in-law of a friend came with two brothers through Ellis Island.

The three went through three different lines, as assigned.
                            Each ended up with a different last name.
                            Non matched the name they had when they got in the line.

One does not argue with an authortiy figure!

sumf

quote:Originally posted by Transtar56

Im sure they had their name"Americanized" soon after arriving as so many immigrants did.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

The Family Association has a copy of a letter written in 1737 and signed by Clemens and Peder Studenbecker. From what I have read, when they arrived in Philadelphia the name was recorded as Studebaker and no other immigrants have ever been recorded with that name, making anyone with the surname Studebaker a direct descendant.

Shtootenpecker?
                              that's a shame the name has died ... hmm I wonder if the wife would mind if we named our first born "Studebaker" []

Comment

Working...
                              X