This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Lark needs chevy headers

Does anyone know if there is a set of headers made that will fit nicley in a 62 lark with a chevy engine? I am afraid of clearing the steering gear. I know there are kits out that come in parts, and you weld together. I was just hoping that someone had done a similar swap and found the correct headers. thanks!!

The real tight "block hugger" style may work.
    I've seen the "rams horn" style cast iron manifold in Larks, so the block hugger may fit also.

Comment

FWIW, I am using a set of headers for a Chev pickup in my "53 K. They dump at the rear of the heads and face nicely down the angled part of the floor. I did have to narrow the front body mounts approx. 1" on a side.
      Bob

Own '53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.
      Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys!! Beejay..How much clearance do you have to the steerling gear? Do those headers have good flow? Thanks

Comment

quote:Originally posted by prager

Thanks for the tips guys!! Beejay..How much clearance do you have to the steerling gear? Do those headers have good flow? Thanks
          I have block huggers on the 327 in my '54. Even with them I had to move the steering box 1/2" down and 1/2" to the rear. I also had to then lengthen and bend the drag link.

Generally with a motor swap, there are no easy answers. If you're contemplating one, measure, measure, measure, plan, plan, plan. You'll still get bit in the butt a few times <g>.

-Dick-
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

The Larks can be a pain in the ass, I used HEDMAN tight tubes on a 454 install for my '59 Lark wagon, look at using S-10 conversion headers or camaro/firebird mid '80's.

Comment

I have a different ft susp in the '53, so I have no interference with steering. (Using power rack-pinion) The headers from the Chevy truck seem to follow the heads back and dump just in front of the firewall.
              Bob

Own '53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.
              Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

Thanks to all you guys!! Hey Oldcar, the s-10 conversion headers, they must be pretty tight to the block? I am damn afraid of that steering gear!! Huge!!

Comment

the S-10 headders (driver's side) have cylinders 1,3 & 5 paralleling the valve cover, then add #7 and dump at back corner of engine and should dump between the steering box and firewall so nix any column shift linkage.

Comment

Thanks Oldcar!! I am taking your responce to mean that all of the tubes are factory welded except #7, which you custom fit to your app? If so that sounds pretty much like what I need!

Comment

Working...
                    X