This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude kid needs help!

Wish I could think of a good way to say this but will stumble through it. I received an email from Stude Bob. He has been corresponding with Kent Fedor and Kent is not having a good time to say the least! If you recall, he is only 21 years old and had built a nice Lark and it caught fire and was completely destroyed. One might say that's the good part.

The bad part is Kent's health. He contacted a staff infection and is really having a tough time, not only with his health but financially as well. He is confined to bed now, will be for some time, has to take some very expensive meds, does not have insurance, has exhausted most of the red tape one has to go through for help, and is not having any luck getting help.

Sometime after he lost the Lark, he purchased another Lark in Arizona (he lives in Michigan). Shortly after this purchase he got sick.

After the experience I had getting a transmission and rear end transported free of charge by a few of you gracious people for Snurdley's son, I think it might be possible to get Kent's Lark from Arizona to Indiana. If it can get to Indiana, we will see that it gets to South Bend where Kent has relatives and down the road when he gets healthy enough he can pick it up there.

Bob is coming to the drags next week and I am taking some little things that might cheer Kent up some and Bob and I will let it be known at the drags about Kent's situation and see if some of the Stude people there might want to contribute in any way and Bob will take it on up to Kent after the drags. I think Kent is about an hour or two north of Stanton where the drags are held.

On top of getting the car from Arizona to Indiana (or Michigan), if any one would want to send anything to Kent, whether it be monetary or just some Stude item that might cheer him up a little, you can send it direct to Kent or to either Bob or myself and we will see that he gets it.

I'm sure Kent would appreciate any emails we can send his way to help pass the time while he is confined to bed. His email address is deliriouskenny@gmail.com

We send relief to others during a crisis like Katrina, etc., and I think it is good that we do something for people like Kent. I know what you did for Snurdley and his family was REALLY appreciated.

Let's see if the people between Arizona and Michigan might be able to get the Lark started this way.

Ted

Ted - others - as you may or may not know - there's a sort of unspoken brotherhood in Studebakerland. Kent's one of that kinship and I'd like to see what we can do to pull together here.
    Gas is ridiculous in price right now, but if anyone would happen to be travelling from the southwest towards the midwest (IL, IN, MI, OH etc.)with an empty trailer, I'd pitch in to help with the gas a bit. It doesn't have to be today or even THIS MONTH! Kent wouldn't be able to do anything with the car even if it was in his yard at this moment. But if you know of someone with a large enough truck or a trailer that's mostly empty and headed east.......
    At 21, Kent's the future of our beloved marque. We need to foster that entusiasim along as much as we can. When most of us geezers types are names in an obsolete SDC roster (the kind you used to have to pay for[xx(]), maybe Kent will reminisce as to what a great bunch we were.[:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

As I volunteered over at the Google Stude Group: If any combination of participants will get Kent's car to the Indiana border, I will pick it up there as arranged, and deliver it to whichever relative Kent specifies in South Bend. BP

BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Mr. Biggs: If you are volunteering to run point on this effort (and it sounds like you are) you have my pledge for $50... that should almost buy another tank of gas. I sure hope some SDC members with trailers in the likely travel path can help haul that Lark a leg or two. If it finds its way to Minnesota I could haul it to Central Wisconsin (my poor ol' truck, she ain't so trustworthy for more than a short run any more).

-BShaw
        Webmaster
        60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
        sigpic
        Bob Shaw
        Rush City, Minnesota
        1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
        "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I live near Detroit, but would be able to pick the car up in South Bend and get it to his home. I get to the Grand Rapids area enough for this to not be a problem. Now having said this, I have access to only a tow dolly. Not that big of an issue (pull the drive shaft), but just stating for the record.

I towed my Daytona (a roller) from Lake Tahoe to Detroit without issues and doubt I'd have issues with a older Lark.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Hey, that'll work, Tom! I'll get it to South Bend and you can pick it up there for the rest of the way to Kent's house in Michigan. Thanx. BP

BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I can run "point" with any donations offered - sure!

On the "other" forum, we've had one kind fella offer the car a ride from mid-Texas to South Bend in the near future. So we've got it to South Bend, and it sounds like Tom has it to Kent's neck of the woods from there. All we need now is a ride from the Tucson area to to Killeen Texas.
              BTW, there's been a number of offers of whatever parts might be needed for this Lark. Feel free to offer parts, moola, transportation, whatever might help Kent out a bit.
              Kent's bedridden with IVs feedin' antibiotics into his veins. We're talking serious illness here - as I know FIRST-hand. I was laid up with a similar infection some 18 years ago and I'm still having occassional relapses to this day. At least in my case, now when it flares back up, I know what's happening and can take some pills to turn it around.
              But, a bit like Kent, the first time this hit me, I figgered: "Ahh, ya know, I'm tough. I'll just take few pills an' I'll be right as rain in a couple days."
              It was 3 weeks before they wheeled me out of the hospital. I spent another 3 weeks recuperating at home before I hobbled back to work because I couldn't stand just sitting around any more![}]

All this overkill of aid flowing towards the gulf now. I'm not even hinting it's not a good thing. But here's Kent - on his ass - and a prisoner of red tape. While he IS eligible for some sort of federal/state medical aid, the catch-22 is that he can get said aid if he gets it IN the county in which he lives. Alas - there's no adequate medical facility IN the county in which he lives. He has to travel to an adjoining county to get treated.
              He's had to liquidate some of his farm equipment and other stuff to pay for the meds he needs. Meanwhile, his farm sets awaiting it's needs. While his dad and a couple of cousins are there to help Kent, dad's incapable of working the farm anymore and the cousins are basically company, the way I understand it.
              All this seems goofy to me when we have illeagals who can crawl into a hospital and expect to be brought back to health.[V]

I wouldn't have even said anything to Ted or this forum if Kent weren't an ardent fan of Studebakers. Thanks to all that have offered assistance!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hey you old miscreant,would you send me the addy by private E-mail where I can send Kent a little folding help?
                Im keepinp up with the e-mails and pics,remember,this guys laying in a damn hospital bed.I KNOW how boring that is.Just reading all the emails has got to be helping him get better.
                So much of our physical problems depend on our state of mind.
                This poor guys not only lost his Studebaker,hes temporly lost his health.
                Its our DUTY to try to keep a bit of a grin on him,till he gains some strength!

Comment

I'll send you an address, Robert. Just to clarify - he's in his own bed at home. Can't afford a hospital stay. He has a "home care" nurse come in and check on him a couple times a day.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Any firm idea what year this Lark is?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

It's a cream-colored 61 Cruiser. Supposedly a driver! 259 Auotmatic.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Hi Guys,
                        This is Kent
                        Its Truely appreciated and so very kind of all your thoughts. Through
                        these "trials" I have had most my quote "friends" turn their back, so
                        its so appreciated when someone really does care.

Due to a truely bizarre incident friday (Email StudeBob or Ted Harbit for info, I cannot post it here for many reasons), I had my computer confiscated, so understand my posts here will be erratic, ie when my cousin drags her computer up here for me to use.

Right now Lark parts would not do me much good as I'm more or less
                        confined to bed. Since I have lot of medical bills, of course a donation would be much appreicated if someone cared to do so.

I still have 6 weeks more of this treatment, and believe me when I get
                        better and through this I will never quite take life for granted again.
                        Feel free to email me ( deliriouskenny at gmail dot com )but dont
                        expect an instant responce now that I lost my computer, and I dont
                        think I'll be able to get another for awhile.

(Also StudeBob, check your email)
                        Kent

Comment

Mr. Biggs, Please eMail an address, I can send a little monitary help too.

Studebaker Fever
                          60 Lark
                          51 Champion
                          Phil

Studebaker Fever
                          60 Lark
                          56 Power Hawk
                          Phil Hendrickson
                          Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Mr: Biggs: Please e-mail me an address also as I can kick in a contribution.
                            wagone and the cursed Avanti I

Comment

Working...
                            X