This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many modifieds ????????

Check out the current issue of Goodguys Gazette and see a Stude. on the front and Stude.s on the inside. Oh !!! they're MODIFIED !!! Try a small block Chevy today !! See www.Goodguys on line. Brad

What's the rest of that website url?

Matthew Burnette

63 Daytona HT
    lots more Studes
    lotsa parts too

Comment

Do you mean this?
      Goodguys Rod & Custom Association is America's Favorite Car Show. Hosting the world's largest hot rod, classic car and truck events across the United States.

Matthew Burnette
      [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/yelstude2.jpg [/img]
      63 Daytona HT
      lots more Studes
      lotsa parts too

Comment

Thanks for the correct address...Brad
        quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Do you mean this?
        Goodguys Rod & Custom Association is America's Favorite Car Show. Hosting the world's largest hot rod, classic car and truck events across the United States.

Matthew Burnette
        63 Daytona HT
        lots more Studes
        lotsa parts too

Comment

"Try a SBC today"????
          Not when I can be driving a Stude 259.
          Just my opinion.

Comment

That makes more sense to me too.

Matthew Burnette
            63 Daytona HT
            lots more Studes
            lotsa parts too

Comment

When I bought my truck, I thought about doing all kinds of modifications to make it drive more like a truck of "today". I'm glad I read opinions of some other Stude truck owners first. Now, I am abandoning the idea of a Mustang II independent front suspension, and will see how it rides when I simply replace all the old steering and suspension parts with new or NOS parts. I'll probably still do the Turner disc brake conversion for safety.

Although I never considered a Chevy SBC, I wanted to put in a Studebaker 259 V8 in place of the Champion Six, until I learned of all the modifications necessary (or the daunting task of finding a donor truck with a V8 - fat chance of that). At this point I'm obtaining a spare Champion Six for my year truck, and plan to follow in the footsteps of the old-time hot rodders by getting all the horsepower out of it that I can, rather than go the "easy" route of putting in a SBC. Not that this way will be much cheaper, but I think it will be a lot more fun to do, and helps me connect across time with the flathead six afficionados of yore.

Let's see that checklist: modified cam for higher lift and longer open time, ported and polished, Offenhauser dual Carter WE carb intake with dual exhaust, whatever the cylinder walls need done, probably increase bore by .030 inch, new bearings and seals all around. Not sure if I'm up to it, but there's help not too far away from me.

Sorry for the long-winded opinion, but at least it's pro-Studebaker, all the way!

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon
              Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Purists out number the modifieds and that's good as everyone enters a hobby with their opinions, goals and interests. We need to remember to help the next person no matter what they wish to do. Originals are really much easier. I have both in my garage.......Brad

Comment

Not shure of where you are at Dillo but if you can make some full size heavy paper or light cardboard templates I could build all the mounts you want. I have templates for a 63 Champ but I haven't checked to see if they fit the earlier trucks.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bradnree

Check out the current issue of Goodguys Gazette and see a Stude. on the front and Stude.s on the inside. Oh !!! they're MODIFIED !!! Try a small block Chevy today !! See www.Goodguys on line. Brad
                    Brad, don't you actually have to be a member of Good Guys to get the Gazette? And while my Daytona will have a Gen III GM engine and Corvette suspension, I'm not really sure what your point is. You seem to be a bit condesending towards those who wish to keep their Studes all Stude. While I will continue to modify the current car I have, I've been bit by the 'R3' bug, and want to complete a clone using mostly Studebaker parts once I'm done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Yes you do. I'm not patronizing stockers, purists, or the modifiers. See my posts of about 2 months ago. This is not the site for me............Brad

Comment

Brad, check out http://www.clubhotrod.com . That site is all hot rods, all the time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
                        Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

If I live long enough - or luck into some excess moola - one day I'm gonna take the nicest 57 Bel Air I can find and squeeze an R2 into it.[}] Then it might be worth the outrageous sums that 57 Chebbys <yawn> command today.[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I see both ends of the spectrum. There are sooooo many SBC engines floating around and they are very compact that it's just an easy engine to use (Heck, Studebaker thought so too when they closed South Bend!). But I can also respect those that wish to keep their car all Studebaker. I like allcars and don't discriminate too much (though I don't understand the hype on the '57 Chevy).

I wish I had the money for all the projects I'd like to undertake. Let's see, there'd be that R-3 Challenger clone, the '88 Fiero with the 3.8L supercharged V-6, the Chevette with the 3.4L V-6, a nice, clean '67-'69 Plymouth Valiant with a new 6.1L Hemi, a flat head powered '32 Ford, etc., etc. []

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Just my 2 cents Tom.
                              My 53K weighed 3,445 with the stock Stude 232 with 1,790 lbs on the front wheels. I put in a SBC and a Tremic 5 speed. The weight droped to 3,170, stuck the battery in the trunk, now has 1,530 lbs on front wheels, Runs cooler, handels better, gets about the same mileage. But pop the hood at a Studebaker show and the crowd goes PPPPPUUUUUUPPPPP.
                              Everybody has one of those. Along with a few other body parts that everybody else has too. As for the 57 Chevy a buddy of mine had a 210 business coupe with a 3 speed stick and 6 banger in high school it was a piece of crap, it looked nice but it just fell apart, he was always having trouble with it, body by Fisher (junk).

Comment

Working...
                              X