This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel covers

Some of you might remember last winter I found a couple of bullet noses(50 Champions)that an old guy intended to restore,but never got around to it,and now hes gone and the cars are just sitting in his backyard slowly returning to the elements.
    When I first saw them they were mostly buried in snow so I couldn't tell much other than the fact that they were both way to far gone for there being any hope of restoring them.
    Yesterday I popped over again in the Hawk to show his widow and ask if I could have another look at the cars.
    What I was mostly interested in is the wheelcovers,as the full moon type I believe are the proper ones for my 56 Transtar.
    Well,there are four decent hubcaps,but there not the hemispherical type,but a flater,more like just a hub cap.
    Was there more than one wheelcover offered on these cars?The ones SI sells(re-pos) are 200 apiece,so it looks as if the Transtars going to wear her Lark wheelcovers awile longer.
    The Lady said to call her son if I wanted any parts off the cars.The noses themselves sell for 50 bucks or so on E-Bay even in rough condition as these are,just to hang on the garage wall.The intruments look good,as most of the glass is still in the cars.
    Other than the old seized up engines and trannys,is there anything else worth saving on these cars?
    I haven't called him yet but apparently the old guy accumulated some NOS parts which are in the shed,so hopefully if I can get hold of the son mabey he'll let me inside to have a look.
    Those flat type hub caps would not look right on the Transtar so Im thinking the proper ones for her must have been an option on the 50 cars.Can anyone shed a bit of light on this,and tell me what else is worth salvaging if I can make a deal with the son.
    There both four door,plain jane Champions,so I doubt if theres anything to valuable.
    These cars are just a few streets over from me here in New Glascow,and when I first heard about them they were described as being in good shape.Whew!

Robert,

The covers you seek were used on '50 Commanders & Land Cruisers, not Champions. You need part# 527859 That's the wheelcover that's right for your '56 truck. There's another cover of the same general shape and size that was also used on '50 Commanders and this one has: "STUDEBAKER STUDEBAKER" imprinted around the perimeter. It's part # is 527305 Both caps are 11&1/2"diameter.
    The plain style can be chromed steel skin over a steel core or it can be plain stainless steel. I've seen both.
    The Studebaker - Studebaker ones are chromed steel skin over a steel core. Both these with cores have not held up well over the years. Being right down in the splashing water (maybe even salty, splashing water[xx(]) they've rusted out beyond saving.[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

BTW! The whole front clips of those cars are valuable! Those chrome bullets, of course, are what everyone thinks of first. But the little "moustache" pieces on either side are getting really tough to find as are the HL bezels. And the sheet metal tubes that go over the front bumper brackets - tough to find!
      Bumpers - front and rear! 4-lug wheels! Taillight bezels, steering wheels, radios, clocks, etc., etc., etc.. Tehy ain't a-makin' none no more and there's NO NOS ones to draw from like their used to be![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Mr. Biggs!
        Looks like Ive got some work to do if the price is right.
        Ill be danged if Im gonna let any hard to find or usable Stude parts go to the crusher if I can help it.
        I just talked to the son on the phone and he told me as he dosen't have a clue to the value of the cars or parts,hes having a Stude "expert" come over and have a look and then get back to me.
        One good thing he said was,I can strip what I want off them(assuming we make a deal) and leave the carcasas behind for the crusher man.
        Come to think of it,the hood looked pretty straight on one of them too.
        The rest is either rusty or dented on every body panel.
        What a shame the old guy never got around to them while he had the chance.

Comment

Working...
        X