This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting to new delco alternator

Hi guys, what is all involved in making the switch from the generator to a newer style delco alternator? Is it a big project?

I'm assuming you mean a 6 volt positive ground alternator with one wire, correct? You'll have to fiddle with new mounting methods, sometimes replacing one of the straps with an SDC unit. As for the wire, just hook to the positive ground of the battery - bypass the regulator completely. The fan belt might be a different size depending on the size of the new pulley. You'll notice that the generator will spin (and sometimes whine) at higher RPM's - this is not a problem. More questions?
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

also a new lower bracket. Just did this a while ago. My replacement has an internal regulator, most do. I know where you can get a really good replacement lower bracket if you need a source. DO NOT go with the universal lower bracket. It will look fine, but at high RPM will shake and flex and cause many, many problems. (from experience).

Comment

Lee D. should have a copy of the old Jet City alternator bracket for V-8s soon if not already. Uses two head bolts so you can run R-3 headers with no problems and mounts a Delco 10SI with the stock adjustment strap. I have one of the "originals" on my '55 coupe and it works great. Would look better without the alternator mount on the pass. side manifold though.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Nate,
          Do you want a manifold with that cut off of there?
          Jeff[8D]

[quote]Originally posted by N8N

Lee D. should have a copy of the old Jet City alternator bracket for V-8s soon if not already. Uses two head bolts so you can run R-3 headers with no problems and mounts a Delco 10SI with the stock adjustment strap. I have one of the "originals" on my '55 coupe and it works great. Would look better without the alternator mount on the pass. side manifold though.
          nate [quote]

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
          '37 Coupe Express
          '37 Coupe Express Trailer
          '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sure thing Jeff. You want to install it? <G>

nate (BTDT, probably easier to just pull the engine and use air tools)

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Sorry guys, I should have given more info. 62 Lark. Has generator now. Am planning to swap motor and all. New motor has newer style delco alternator. Old motor has a generator..12 volt? How would I hook up the new alternator? Thanks!!

Comment

Prager,
                I used a kit from MAD electrical.

Read their tech section, its good reading

This is the kit I used. It doesnt include the alternator but you can get the right one at local FLAPS.

I used one off a dead 84 GMC 3/4 ton I had here at the farm.

Comment

That is the most descriptive and helpful piece of information I have seen yet, on the generator to alternator conversion. I have down loaded and printed it to put with my shop manual for future reference.

Thanks for posting it on this forum.

Studebaker Fever
                  60 Lark
                  51 Champion
                  Phil

Studebaker Fever
                  60 Lark
                  56 Power Hawk
                  Phil Hendrickson
                  Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Working...