This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need drum

I've decided to leave the dana 44 under my 61 hawk.Does anyone have a good useable,turnable, used drum for sale???or a pair? I will need every thing from the wheel bearings out.The right rear was metal to metal for so long,it's almost cut the drum in two. Thanks!!!

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!

I've got the front drums off of my 62 Lark..Are they the same? I'm converting to turner brakes

Comment

No, his rear drums are 10" Whereas your fronts (assuming this is a V8 car) are 11"[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes,this is a 61 Hawk,v-8 10" drum.[Thanks Mr biggs-I should have been a little more specific in the first place!]

Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Hey Mr. Biggs, wouldnt the 10"drums off the front of a six cylinder car work for his Hawk rear??

Anyway 52 Hawk, have you tried Robert Kapetyn or Don Gay??
          They advertise in the TW from time to time and are in your neck of the woods.

Comment

Yeah - they would swap. But as the prospective donor car is getting disc brakes, I assumed that IT was a V8 also. Hence, it should rightfully yield 11" drums.

WHOOPS! Now I see in another post that prager's 62 IS a 6cylinder that's being convered to a V8! So what are ya gonna do for rear brakes prager? Stay with the little 9-inchers?

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hello guys, yes the front drums are off of a 6 cyl model...are they the right ones?

Comment

Mr. Biggs..sorry I should have read your entire post before I replied..oops!![:I] Anyhow..Turner brakes all the way around..Putting in an LT1 corvette 350 and a Tremec 5 speed..have all of the parts except the 65-66 stude to chevy frame mounts..would like to get them cheaper than SI wants!! Help!!!!

Comment

Yeah, the 10" drum should help 52Hawk so long as it hasn't already been turned too far. .060 oversize is the max allowable amount to turn them
                  He'll have to have the lug stud swedgings ground away and the studs pressed out of the hub/drum assy. This needs to be done carefully so as not to distort the drum.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Jon Meyers in Ohio has them for $85 a side.The Chev. Stude mounts that is.

Comment

I'll drive down to see Don Gay this weekend,and call or email Kapteyn[actually hadn't thought of him,don't know why?]-but,thought I might find some the easy way-sitting on my butt at the 'puter!!!Kapteyn can be a little high priced,but what a joy it is to visit his place,truly amazing-you might say: Worth the Price of admission!!! While I'm on the subject,any Stude nut should see Bob Kapteyn's place,it's as cool as SASCO,probably better.38,000 square feet of Stude cars and parts!
                      Prager,I'll keep you in mind,but it will be easier for me to find a rear,on a hub! Are those finned? my rears are finned.

Oglesby,Il.

Comment

6cyl drums wouldn't be finned. And you're right in that it would be alot less troube to find one already on a rear hub.

Geez, Kapteyn's place! I've always wanted to visit there![]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

hey guys, no fins..Like Mr. Biggs said... sorry..You could try to call Tom Karkiewicz, in South Bend..he has a ton of Stude parts new and used..574-287-5834

Comment

Alan, can you buy just one side? (The mounts)..I have a lead on the left but no right..

Comment

Yes call Jon Meyer in Duncan Falls Ohio at 1-740-674-4897 the numbers are 1563714-15 Engine mount bracket 65-66 $85 each.These are for Avanti and Larks, for the 61 Hawk the number is diffrent but he has them too.
                              same price.

Comment

Working...
                              X