This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping a vehicle?

Sorry, it seems like all I'm doing here is asking questions. Regardless, if I find a car that's too far away for me to go get with my buddy's Suburban and trailer, can anyone recommend a shipping company? I'm still eyeing one that MAY be available in Ft. Lauderdale, but I'm in Birmingham, AL.

Mention studebakers or me, I do a lot of business with Peg's.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    JDP Maryland

Comment

You'll probably be fine with anyone JDP recommends. For another option, here is my own (one time only) experience. I read bad reviews of so many shippers, it gave me the shivers. So I contacted one that had a lot of great reviews. Linda operates out of a home office, and makes a point of doing her own checks on the quality of any shipper she contracts with (she's a broker, putting you in touch with the actual shipper who picks up your vehicle). She usually offers a little more money as extra incentive to her shippers, and you get to pay a bit more for the peace of mind, knowing she has chosen a competent, honest shipper. At least, that's how it worked for me.

One thing I recommend you point out to her - Studebakers are NOT as heavy as other old cars. She said that many shippers will turn down a Stude when they can load two Honda Civics that together weigh as much as one Studebaker. Therefore, she has to offer them more to pick up a vintage auto. If you know the weight of your vehicle, please tell her how much it weighs, and I suggest you state the weights of some comparably sized vintage cars by other makers, as well as recent vehicles, too. Maybe by educating these brokers and shippers, we'll get a little better rates than the guys who want their 57 Chevy's shipped.

Here's her contact info:

Linda Gifford
      River City Auto Transport
      3932 Broughton Ct
      Sacramento CA 95827
      MC #495524

Toll Free: 866-862-4574
      Fax: 916-364-1388

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon
      Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

I shipped my 51 commander with Intercity from CA to PA. Closed carrier, everything went very well. I'm writing to mention that open carriers I originally approached had much lower rates, UNTIL they tacked on a car-length surcharge, bringing their cost to within $150 bucks of a closed carrier. My car is less than 200 inches long, so this surcharge will apply to many models.....

51 Commander State Sedan
        Butler PA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

You'll probably be fine with anyone JDP recommends. For another option, here is my own (one time only) experience. I read bad reviews of so many shippers, it gave me the shivers. So I contacted one that had a lot of great reviews. Linda operates out of a home office, and makes a point of doing her own checks on the quality of any shipper she contracts with (she's a broker, putting you in touch with the actual shipper who picks up your vehicle). She usually offers a little more money as extra incentive to her shippers, and you get to pay a bit more for the peace of mind, knowing she has chosen a competent, honest shipper. At least, that's how it worked for me.

One thing I recommend you point out to her - Studebakers are NOT as heavy as other old cars. She said that many shippers will turn down a Stude when they can load two Honda Civics that together weigh as much as one Studebaker. Therefore, she has to offer them more to pick up a vintage auto. If you know the weight of your vehicle, please tell her how much it weighs, and I suggest you state the weights of some comparably sized vintage cars by other makers, as well as recent vehicles, too. Maybe by educating these brokers and shippers, we'll get a little better rates than the guys who want their 57 Chevy's shipped.

Here's her contact info:

Linda Gifford
          River City Auto Transport
          3932 Broughton Ct
          Sacramento CA 95827
          MC #495524

Toll Free: 866-862-4574
          Fax: 916-364-1388

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:[i]

One thing I recommend you point out to her - Studebakers are NOT as heavy as other old cars.
            I know Studebaker advertised their cars as light ("weight is the enemy"), but in fact they were about the same as the cars they sold against. I've weighed my Starliner on NASCAR scales and it is right at 3200 pounds. That's with a chevy v8 that is much lighter than the original Stude v8, an aluminium 4 speed in place of the cast iron automatic, aluminum bell housing, aluminum intake, aluminum wheels, tubular headers, etc. The actual original weight of my 54 was probably at 3,400 pounts.

A 55-57 Chev weighes 3,300 pounds.

A '57 Hawk is 3,400 pounds
            The Encyclopedia of Automakers and Car Manufacturers. an extensive list of automakers, tuners and racing specials from around the world

Weight has never been a price factor for me in transporting a car. Most car carriers are space limited, not weight limited. A 2,500 pound car and a 4,000 pound car will most likely ship the same distance (same route) for the same price (unless one will take up much more space than the other).
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Okay, I stand corrected on the weight of the cars. I guess a lot of what I read was propaganda from Studebaker, then. But I do know that the empty weight of my 1/2 ton '55 pickup is 2,695 lbs, which surprised the guy who will be doing my differential work - he was expecting me to say it weighed about 4,000 lbs. I guess that is pretty light for a truck.

And the broker I spoke with maybe doesn't really know her business, but she insisted the heavier cars were harder to find transporters for. Take it for what it's worth, I guess.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon
              Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Working...
              X