This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything worth seeing in the factory?

As you all know, the final assembly building and stamping plant is due for demo possibly as early as October. I was wondering if anyone would care to comment on what there is to see in these buildings, if there is anything left worth seeing. I mean anything at all of interest, no matter how minor. I understand that people may not want to publicly reveal that they've explored these buildings, but hopefully someone might comment.

Has someone from the museum or SDC been in contact with the City of South Bend to arrange a final walk-through and sweep to recover any items of identifiable pertinence to Studebaker? That is, if there is anything worth saving.

Thanks for any comments on this subject.

'53 Starlight
    '60 Lark VIII
    '50 2R5

You know, that idea about a final sweep is a good one. As one of our members found out. I won't mention names, it might embarass Biggs.
    You might think about contacting our club president. As closely tied as the club and city are, the officials of South Bend might be open for such a thing. Their concern might be the condition and current safety of the buildings.
    It's such a shame these buildings can't be preserved. Oh sigh.[V]

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Studeclunker
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:It's such a shame these buildings can't be preserved.
      Yes, it is a shame. All the more reason we need to preserve as many of these cars and trucks as we can! I'm all for collecting another Studebaker or two when funds permit in the future.

I even have a neighbor who has the "bug" for an older classic car. He never gave the brand any thought before, but now he is leaning toward a Stude, and could be open to anything from '41 to '62. Maybe he'll get something with a Champion Six, like I have, so we can hop them up and race down our street!

Sorry that I kind of got off-topic there.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon
      Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

I would doubt you could find anyone involved with the museum, or the leaders of the SDC that even care!

quote:Originally posted by rocinante

Has someone from the museum or SDC been in contact with the City of South Bend to arrange a final walk-through and sweep to recover any items of identifiable pertinence to Studebaker? That is, if there is anything worth saving.

Thanks for any comments on this subject.

'53 Starlight
        '60 Lark VIII
        '50 2R5
        Sam Roberts

I'm a slow loser, but a fast learner

Comment

We really can't blame SB for getting rid of these buildings,they are a blight,and beyond usefulness.The new museum would not exist if it weren't for SB,so thats a major thanks we owe the city.
          We do need to support SASCO,lets all hope they can remain profitable for a long time.I used to buy some parts on e-bay,but now try to buy everything from stude vendors,it only makes sense to try to support our vendors in any small way that we can.BTW,Sasco does have some items on e-bay,look for a seller called 'dolsr'

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I wouldn't say that they don't care, but they have many more important things to worry about. We must be grateful that the city of South Bend finally came to terms with the good that Studebaker did for the city. The city obliviously is concerned enough to build us a wonderful new museum to preserve the bright side of Studebaker. Yes it would have been nice to preserve some of the buildings but the city does have a budget to deal with. For the city maintain even one of those old buildings would require major revenue. I think any future efforts should concentrate on preserving the old administrative building and supporting Dennis to keep SASCO a viable business.

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Comment

I agree with you guys. South Bend is doing the right thing. And we need to support SASCO every dime that we can. No distaste for the many other good vendors we have to draw from, but SASCO's one hell of a resource for our hobby and Dennis has put his butt on the line to keep it going.
              I hear the occassional gripe that they don't have a catalog. A catalog would be nice, but they've got WAY many more parts than a catalog could ever hope to encompass economically. And catalogs cost money to produce.
              Get the pertinent parts books and use their nifty inventory search engine to find out if they have what you want.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I completely 100% agree with what's being said here about SASCO and how lucky we are that South Bend has kicked in major funds for the museum. But back to my original question: Has anyone has been through the buildings and has a sense of what is in there? I suggested a final sweep to save incidental things because we don't have much time left before a major part of the factory that built our cars and played an important role in US history is gone. The time for commentary about why the buildings are going is long past and I did not intend to spark a debate about that with this post. It's a done deal.
                Anyone can email me off-list if you want. cbschneider@att.net Thanks guys! [8)]

'53 Champion Starlight Coupe
                '60 Lark VIII
                '50 2R5

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, please explain what is SASCO.

Doug

Comment

Brian,

Agendas are set according to points of "high visibility" and personal aims, those buildings were not able to provide what some wanted as their legacy. Actually, the Admin building could very well have been the new SNM had " cooler " heads prevailed a few years ago! But, that did not fit the "scheme" of things, as it were. The man who had a large part in procuring the 5 million from the city for the new museum was unceremoniously kicked off the SNM board for his efforts. [B)]

quote:Originally posted by 1949commander

I wouldn't say that they don't care, but they have many more important things to worry about. We must be grateful that the city of South Bend finally came to terms with the good that Studebaker did for the city. The city obliviously is concerned enough to build us a wonderful new museum to preserve the bright side of Studebaker. Yes it would have been nice to preserve some of the buildings but the city does have a budget to deal with. For the city maintain even one of those old buildings would require major revenue. I think any future efforts should concentrate on preserving the old administrative building and supporting Dennis to keep SASCO a viable business.

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going
                    Sam Roberts

Comment

SASCO is the former Newman & Altman Studebaker parts business. My understanding is that Newman & Altman owned the Studebaker factory parts inventory that was left over after the plant shutdown. In 2000, ownership of the business passed from Geoff Newman to Dennis Lambert (long interesting story there, won't go into it now) who changed the name to SASCO and continues to operate the business in the former Studebaker engineering building on West Sample Street in Sotuh Bend. SASCO stands for Studebaker Autoparts Sales COmpany (or corp), which is a slight variation on the name of an original division of Studebaker in the 60s called Studebaker Automotive Sales Corporation. Exactly what the original SASCO's purpose was I'm not sure, but maybe someone else on this forum can further comment on that. If you own a Studebaker, going to South Bend and visiting SASCO is a rite of passage and a real treat too. It's like time travel in there. It's a whole world of Studebaker, literally millions of parts, all stacked to the ceilings of an original Studebaker building. This place is truly amazing to behold, so crammed full of factory parts even 40 years after the factory closed. I don't think such a thing exists for any other extinct car make. By the way, SASCO has the most stuff for the late cars, like '63-'66, but still has a lot of stuff for all the other postwar years. I think there is almost enough sheetmetal there to build a fleet of new 1964 Studebakers.

'53 Champion Starlight Coupe
                      '60 Lark VIII
                      '50 2R5

Comment

But the original question still hasn't been answered. Would a final "sweep" be beneficial (it would APPEAR that the answer is "yes", but that is pure speculation) and who would be in the best position to ensure that it be done safely and with the blessing of South Bend? Some wheel in the SDC or someone close to the powers that be in SB--at least physically close. I would love to be part of the "treasure hunt", but I'm about 12 hours from SB. Perhaps earlier unofficial "sweeps" have removed anything and everything of value. I believe a REGULAR contributor to this forum was brave enough to mention he had been on at least one of these forays and came back with some job ticket blanks or something similar--and he was kind enough to give these away. Perhaps nothing remains--40 plus years is a long time. Actually I use the word "brave" only because the individual in question, although commenting to this initial post, has refrained from addressing the central question--perhaps with reason?

wagone and cursed Avanti I

Comment

Actualy, after the company stopped building cars, they were still in business in other ventures. They decided to keep offering parts from the vast stocks so that loyal Stude owners would be able to keep driving their cars and probably also to protect their corporate image. SASCO was formed as a sub-company to supply the parts to ex-dealers and repair shops. SASCO was carried by Studebaker Corp. thru 1972. Then the remaining stocks were up for sale.
                          Newman & Altman (known a Standard Surplus then) bought big lots of Stude parts from the main parts depot and from outlying depots as well. They didn't buy it all and some of it was eventually sold for scrap value[V] But still, they had saved mountains of stuff that would otherwise have been lost forever.
                          Fact is, they sold some of it as scrap metal over the years. There's the controversial photo evidence that shows mountains of sheet metal they threw out of upper floors years ago. This was stuff they deemed slow-moving or of low demand. Whame that that is, they kept dispensing parts thru old dealers and parts stores that had a dealer arrangement with N&A.
                          The two main buildings of N&A dated back to the turn of the century (as did much of Studebaker's facilities) and ALWAYS had problems with leakage, pigeons and other things. These problems rarely were addressed for lack of funds.
                          When the city of South Bend wanted to build a new jail, they wanted the land those two buildings were on to facilitate their project. Newman wanted out at this point and it looked like the parts might be in danger of going to landfill.
                          Dennis Lambert stepped up and with help from the city and others, moved everything across the street into the old company engineering building - where the new SASCO now resides.
                          It's not been a bed of roses since Dennis put his name on the dotted line to buy the business, but so far he's hanging in there. He'd love to hear of your parts needs! 1-800-722-4295
                          (Dennis, that unsolicited testimonial will cost you![}])

I might also say that it's WORTH the trouble to get to SASCO at least once in your life. To think that you're in the building where these cars were designed - developed & tested! Boy, that's a treat! What other make can afford you that same experience[?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

There is usually 2 reasons a " question " goes unanswered, (1) lack of interest, (2) or lack of knowledge. If you mean someone close to South Bend, the obvious inference would be the SNM, since they are charged with "preserving" Studebaker history!

quote:Originally posted by wagone

But the original question still hasn't been answered. Would a final "sweep" be beneficial (it would APPEAR that the answer is "yes", but that is pure speculation) and who would be in the best position to ensure that it be done safely and with the blessing of South Bend? Some wheel in the SDC or someone close to the powers that be in SB--at least physically close. I would love to be part of the "treasure hunt", but I'm about 12 hours from SB. Perhaps earlier unofficial "sweeps" have removed anything and everything of value. I believe a REGULAR contributor to this forum was brave enough to mention he had been on at least one of these forays and came back with some job ticket blanks or something similar--and he was kind enough to give these away. Perhaps nothing remains--40 plus years is a long time. Actually I use the word "brave" only because the individual in question, although commenting to this initial post, has refrained from addressing the central question--perhaps with reason?

wagone and cursed Avanti I
                            Sam Roberts

Comment

Okay, I'll try to answer the question.

A certian person I know well (I'm denying it was me.....) that loves Studebakers, when he was in South Bend a couple weeks ago managed to gain entry into the final assembly plant. There is some intresting stuff still around, like signs on the walls, misc stuff, etc. Problem is I wouldnt suggest getting in there again, I had plenty of smooth talking to do when I was coming out of there and was "detained" by the friendly St. Joe county sheriff's dept. Finally my studebaker shirt, my SDC membership card in my wallet and my car loaded with parts from SASCO convinced them I just was a "studebaker nut"....from watching the deputy's expressions, I'd say as long as you dont seem like a homeless vandal they wont bring you in.....

If somebody could arrange a "legal" walk through I'd love to try to help organize or be a part of it.
                              Kent

Comment

Working...
                              X