This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirrors & Spears

Hey guys, is there a place to get templates for installing sideview mirrors and front fender spears on Auggietta my 50 coupe, or do you just put them where they work best for you.

Thanks, OkieBob

I LOVE MY STUDEBAKER

No there is special places for all those....there is someone in the SDC that has alot of templates and will lend them out but I'm not sure who it is ....someone here will know.[?]
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Dave Mottle of New Mexico is club historian and keeper of the templates.

Btw, he appreciates some postage and copy-making money since the club doesn't provide such for him to draw from.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS[:I]
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That's good to know. My Daytona doesn't have any outside mirrors... [:0]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Dave's address is on the last page of Turning Wheels.
          If anyone has accessory instructions or templates you don't need send them, or good copies to Dave. This is a great resource.

My 51 only had a driver's side rearview mirror and, when I restored it, I installed repro left and right mirrors, using the driver's door location to determine passenger door install. It looks real nice but is absolutely worthless, can't see a thing; right mirror is too low and can't swivel enough.
          When I did a 52 for a friend of mine, his had no outside mirrors so I had him sit behind the wheel and positioned the right side best as possible and still clear the wing window pivet, then installed the driver's side to match. Right side mirror is still virtually useless.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I talked to Dave today, but he didn't have the templates for the mirrors or the fender spears. If anyone else has any ideas let me know, if not I'll just do the best I can with what I've got to work with. Thanks, OkieBob

I LOVE MY STUDEBAKER

Comment

I just installed a driver side mirror on my '51. You can work from photos in the Applegate Photo Archive book-- but being 'correct' won't do you much good if you can't see through the thing. Have a friend position the mirror while you're behind the wheel. There were several mirrors correct for the bullets, and I don't think they came installed from the factory, if promo pics and adverts are any indication. Considering the shape of the door, I think a passenger mirror would be nearly impossible to install so you could actually use it...

51 Commander State Sedan
              Butler PA

Comment

If you want both outside mirrors for appearance I'd use the procedure I mentioned earlier,but only the driver's side will be of any use. Be sure the position will allow the wing vent window to clear.
                As for the spears, they are obviously centered on the top.

Maybe someone with a 50 can measure the distance from the headlight door/sheetmetal seam to the leading edge of the spear. Measurement on my 51 is 3". 1950 Commanders had longer front fenders than Champions or any later year models so that could make a difference.
                Any takers out there[?]

Once you have the measurement, if your spears still have their studs, give a light tap to mark where to drill. If the studs are gone insert something into the threads that's just a hair longer than where it will surface (a nylon stud would do the trick) and put some grease or graphite on them to mark the spots to drill.

When you install the nuts under the inside of the fender be sure to use a sealer to prevent tire splash from seaping through.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

OK, I just went out and woke up Clara to take her measurements.

She's a 50 Champion and the distance from the rear of her headlight doors to the leading edge of her fender spears is 3".

Gerry

Comment

And Clara said: "Oooooooo... you like my measurements, big boy?"

Geez, I wonder what cup size the front fenders on a 50-51 would require![:0][]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If you can't get the proper template or an original car to copy mirror location from, position the left mirror so that 1) you can see behind with it, 2) it doesn't interfere with the wind wing window's operation and 3) it looks correct and good. Then make the right mirror a mirror imagine of the left mirror's location. Forget about seeing much with the right mirror. It is mostly a match for the left mirror.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                      X