This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going for a drive in the truck

Beautiful morning here in Nova Scotia,and Im about to get in my 56 Transtar for a trip to the spring to get water.Its a beautiful drive in the country,and that old truck just seems to love to have a job to do.
    If driving enertainment is your thing,and you don't need a 60k rig with ABS,On Star GPS,air bags,seat belts,a zillion watt home stereo and A/C,if your tastes run towards the simpler things in life,get an old Studebaker truck.It will keep you busy with both hands and feet,and the sound of that Stude V-8 is awesome.At 55 mph you need to drive this truck around turns,and if theres a holes in the road you'll feel them,but you can't do to much damage to that solid front axel and king pin front suspension.And if you need to go off the beaten path into some back roads,don't worry you've got lots of ground clerance,and enough torque to move a house.
    And then theres the folks who want to stop and talk to you at every stop.You'd never realize how freindly people are if you were driving a Lincoln Navigator.
    Yep,its great therapy for those of us that like it,a nice summer morning,and a trip in the country in a Studebaker truck.Mabey if more people would take it up the doctors would be writing fewer precriptions for stress,eh?

Well Robert - you know I have to agree with you! That Navigator (or Honda Civic for that matter) is practically invisible (unless the stupid thing blocks your field of view when you're driving!). Whereas the Transtar (any Stude actualy[]) is gonna draw attention whether you want it or not.
    I was out and about with our Transtar yesterday and I never fail to take note of the young and old folks that point at the old Stude and nudge one another or wave or give a thumbs up gesture![:I]
    And I never get tired of that 289 - 4.27 rear gear take-off.[}] I love easing the clutch out sedately and then mashing the gas pedal! Rocket time! Surprizes the hell out of alot of modern cowboy Cadillacs! And this is with the tired ol' 2bbl that's been on this truck since '89. I can't imagine (well, actualy, I can.[}]) what a 4bbl would do to that initial take-off.
    Of course, it's the O/D that makes such rear gears practical. Have you fixed the O/D in your yet??? Why not give me a call and we'll walk thru the things to check together?[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sounds good Transtar. I agree - simple is better. I took the Hawk for a spin testerday evening. Windows down without A/C and that fresh evening air did feel good. No desire to go any faster than 45 to 50mph - more time to enjoy the scenery. Makes you wonder about automotive "progress". I can't drive slower than 70 - 75 mph on the #401 (McDonald-Cartier Freeway) without worrying that the guy drafting one car length behind me may climb into my trunk. Needless to say I don't take the Hawk out there for a relaxing drive. All the safety and fuel efficiency gains offered by our modern technology seem to be cancelled out by driver's desire to get where they are going at warp speed. Slowing life down to a 1963 pace was nice for an hour last night.

Comment

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I envy you guys who live in kinder summer climates than here in South/Central Texas. My '55 truck lived happily for its first 50 years in San Jose, California until I brought it here a couple of months ago. I don't think it likes this heat any more than I do (100 degrees F today).

But boy, I look forward to those October/November days in Texas when I can finally do what you have described. While Transtar56 will be bedding his truck down for the long Canadian Winter, I can finally begin driving mine in the daytime!

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon
          Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Hey DilloCrafter, that is one lovely truck! Two thumbs up.

Comment

That is PURDY!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Thank you kindly for the compliments, fellas. The credit for the paint job goes to the prev. owner, for all the time he spent painting with the original color, wet sanding, rubbing out, polishing. I have some changes in mind that I'm working on, such as rechroming the STUDEBAKER name plate on the front of the hood, then taking it to a powdercoating shop and having them powder coat the blank field behind the letters with a close approximation of the original Cherokee Red.

My wife insists I put more chrome on the truck somehow, and since I learned that chrome bumpers were a dealer option in '55, I'll likely do that to the front bumper (there never was a rear bumper on this particular truck).

But I just know Bob Bourke had something else in mind when he designed that grill other than the two-tone effect they achieved by painting the entire grill area a lighter green than the body on this one. If I can indulge you for one more photo, here is a scan from the pages of the book, "Studebaker Trucks 1941-1964 Photo Archive". Imagine it with a chrome front bumper. Oh, and I plan to paint the wheels the lighter, minty green (Azore Green) and put baby moon hubcaps on it, as in the photo.

What do you think?

Paul Simpson
                "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Your truck's a beauty. However, I really do like the two tone effect on the grille and the chrome bumper. If I owned your truck, I'd have difficulty deciding what to do.
                  Rog
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Just got back to the computer after a great weekend of Motorcycle and Studebaker fun.
                    That sure is a beautiful truck,I could have made mine look exactly like that as I have a perfect 55 hood and tried it on to get the look.
                    But then I went ahead and fixed my not so perfect 56 hood because I like the hole with the big chrome STUDEBAKER letters even better.
                    My OD is the same as before Mr Biggs,it freewheels but it does not drop the engine speed.Ive got a local SDC guy that says he wants to take a look at it.I wish I had the truck here,but I brought the Hawk over here to Stellarton where I work ,and the trucks at Dianes,an hour away.I bet you could walk me trhough it.
                    I sure wish I could post pictures on this forumn,Id like to show off the truck.I used to be able to post pics to the other ng and can't anymore.Ill send one out to anyone who will put it up,or tell me how you do it.
                    But chances are my server will block it here too.

Comment

Send it to me Bob. Actualy, I think you did once and I was remiss in posting it. I can put it up with a link to where all here can see it.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Remember that photo I posted a few months ago of a nonproduction paint scheme on the grill of a 55 truck? Here's a picture I came across on eBay of that same paint scheme on every truck pictured in a 1954 truck brochure for the French market. Apparently, Studebaker may have done some market testing and found the French preferred this "white mustache" look:

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
                        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                        The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

Remember that photo I posted a few months ago of a nonproduction paint scheme on the grill of a 55 truck? Here's a picture I came across on eBay of that same paint scheme on every truck pictured in a 1954 truck brochure for the French market. Apparently, Studebaker may have done some market testing and found the French preferred this "white mustache" look:
                          "Got milk?"

Dave's Place
                          Studebaker Emporium
                          sigpic
                          Dave Lester

Comment

Dillo, your truck is looking great! I went to the big city of Lafayette yesterday and ate crawfish and stayed at a friend's place. Drove the back roads there and really got that 1963 feeling going. Drove back this AM on the I-10, looked down at the speedo and realized I was doing 75 mph. Had the Cajun music on the AM radio. I sure did pass a good time, mais yeah. Kevin in the Stoogebaker

1963 Champ

Comment

You fellers are an inspiration. Just acquired a second 2R, this one with the Commander engine/OD. One is restorable but the other will probably have to be a flatbed as the bed is really poor. Also recently acquired a nephew by marriage that is a good body man and he lusts after a Stude truck rod so the flatbed will probably be powered by a big block "something". That will leave me with a stock, big engine, overdrive truck that will probably be my hauler till I can't climb in any longer.
                              Re; easing out the clutch and dropping the hammer, reminded me of the '56 3/4 ton I had for cheap wheels while in college. The previous owner had torn out the rear end and replaced it with a junk yard piece that I believe had 6.xx:1 ratio. With the rebuilt 289 and 4 speed, I would back away from the curb, drop the thing into THIRD and smoke 'em till the rev's ran out...course 55 was hammering the thing on the highway. It got me to work and class and was the ultimate workhorse. Ah yes, 1963 was a fun year.

Comment

Working...
                              X