This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cursed Purple Hawk rust repair pics

Updated today. Starting to make a little progress. Can you say "money pit"?

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
    64 Champ long bed V8
    64 GT

You are doing a fine job. I restored a Power Hawk and a 1963 GT hawk and know it takes a whole lot of ambition and perserverance. My cars were extremely rusty like yours. I don't think I ever want to do it again. Next time I will buy a rust free example. Keep up the good work. jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I feel your pain, because I'm going thru it now.

Early this summer a buddy was going to paint my '55 and he has some parts at his shop that had obvious issues, and I have the main body still--that has lots of hidden issues. Most that i never knew it had,

So far I've found holes hidden by massive amounts of undercoating-- applied axle grease-- tar and a few substances I can't identify.
      I found a brazed panel that covered--nuttin.
      No hole- no rust-no dent----- nuttin

Why? I have nooo idea

Conversly--I have found unrepaired holes with no panels welded or riveted in.
      I have patch panels- that are half riveted- half brazed in

His favorite trick was to cover a 1 inch hole with a 6 inch patch and leave the outer edges just flapping buy just brazing around the edges of the hole

Both front fenders had primer applied BEFORE 1/2 inch of body putty was smeard on.
      It lifted--naturally-- but what's even more absurd is that the fenders were solid to begin with

And the PO has a couple Studes that are national award winners

Scary

My buddy MAY get the car next week-- 3 months behind schedule
      Unless of course-- I find more holes

Comment

This is a prime example of the reason I no longer give estimates on my body and paint work. To much stuff covered up and hidden -- you can't see until you put the body up on a lift or start taking the paint off. I will wind up doing the whole car, discussed this morning with my son about just taking the body off the frame so it can be done properly. Another reason that paying "more" for an almost completed car can still bite you in the a&%$. This car had around 27,000.00 in it before we got it for the bargain 13,000.00 (everyone thought), it could have all been put in a rat hole and have been just as well. The rear end, brakes and tranny have not had to be into Yet-- keeping my fingers crossed. This is my first "rust project" c-k body and I hope my last. I had one potential customer from south Florida bring a GT up for me to finish for him. I had to painfully tell him that it was a parts car only as it was so rusted up. New floor pans had been put into it and he had already spent around 10 grand. It would have taken another 30 to do the car right.

53commander HDTP
        53 Champion HDTP
        61 Cursed Purple Hawk
        64 Champ long bed V8
        64 GT
        64 Champ long bed V8
        55/53 Studebaker President S/R
        53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Kerry,

I would come work in your shop for free just to learn how you do this kind of repair.

Proud owner of a 1956 President Classic

Comment

Iceman,
            I sure wish I could teach some of the local teenagers some of this stuff. I had one of their father's to tell me "my son doesn't want to do what you do, it is to hard of work" after I offered to teach him how to do some stuff on his dad's car.
            I would love to work with some one that wanted to learn, I find that I never stop learning, you never know it all.
            Those 56 Presidents are nice cars.

53commander HDTP
            53 Champion HDTP
            61 Cursed Purple Hawk
            64 Champ long bed V8
            64 GT
            64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ceecab

I feel your pain, because I'm going thru it now.

Early this summer a buddy was going to paint my '55 and he has some parts at his shop that had obvious issues, and I have the main body still--that has lots of hidden issues. Most that i never knew it had,

So far I've found holes hidden by massive amounts of undercoating-- applied axle grease-- tar and a few substances I can't identify.
              I found a brazed panel that covered--nuttin.
              No hole- no rust-no dent----- nuttin

Why? I have nooo idea

Conversly--I have found unrepaired holes with no panels welded or riveted in.
              I have patch panels- that are half riveted- half brazed in

His favorite trick was to cover a 1 inch hole with a 6 inch patch and leave the outer edges just flapping buy just brazing around the edges of the hole

Both front fenders had primer applied BEFORE 1/2 inch of body putty was smeard on.
              It lifted--naturally-- but what's even more absurd is that the fenders were solid to begin with

And the PO has a couple Studes that are national award winners

Scary

My buddy MAY get the car next week-- 3 months behind schedule
              Unless of course-- I find more holes
              Sounds very much like the Cursed Purple Hawk. Except we did have to do a total rebuild on the "rebuilt" motor in less than 1500 miles.
              Maybe the same shop did the work on both vehicles?
              (by the way, the newer recommended way to apply body filler is after epoxy primer has been applied, the adhesion is greater and it gives some rust protection underneath the paint)

53commander HDTP
              53 Champion HDTP
              61 Cursed Purple Hawk
              64 Champ long bed V8
              64 GT
              64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

As much as I was surprised about the crappy bodywork, at least it was farmed out by the PO. The engine was done by him and he was a machinist that did a lot of trick work. i.e., he plugged the oil feed to the lifters, used Ford six cylinder pistons, did something with the rod offset and so on. I know we discussed dirt getting in the engine, but I found this pix of the engine on his stand while getting my first look at the car in his shop and it was buttoned up. Maybe he got too trick for his own good, I know he did stuff I'd never tried. Is it possible he flipped the rods to do a offset and screwed up the oiling ?

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Yeah- thats the new method over epoxy primer

But this is putty over regular oldtime red primer from 20 years ago
                  I can peel the paint off in sheets with my fingers

It's a shame too because even my buddy agrees it was a spectacular enamel paint job
                  Sadly it was very ill- prepared beforehand

We are both surprise it lasted as long as it did, but then again, it sat in a garage for 13 years

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

As much as I was surprised about the crappy bodywork, at least it was farmed out by the PO. The engine was done by him and he was a machinist that did a lot of trick work. i.e., he plugged the oil feed to the lifters, used Ford six cylinder pistons, did something with the rod offset and so on. I know we discussed dirt getting in the engine, but I found this pix of the engine on his stand while getting my first look at the car in his shop and it was buttoned up. Maybe he got too trick for his own good, I know he did stuff I'd never tried. Is it possible he flipped the rods to do a offset and screwed up the oiling ?

JP, we discussed this with you before we rebuilt the engine with less than 1500 miles on it. We questioned you about the lower than we liked oil pressure as soon as we got back with the car. You assured us everything was okay, it was a bad gauge. I put a guage directly in the oil port and still got the same reading , around 20 lbs hot, not enough to kill the engine but low enough to believe there was a problem. We bought a blueprinted oil pump from Stephen Cade and installed that when the engine was rebuilt. Again, the very experienced machinest said it looked to him by all the signs that the engine was put together very dirty. We never ran the engine hard as the hybrid carb would only go to a little over half throttle. The engine now shows 55lbs oil pressure steady. Zach put quite a few miles on the "new" rebuild with no problems. I don't think any of the prior mods hurt the engine. If I ever get the car re-done I am going to dyno it and then install the SC and re-dyno. Maybe we'll be able to drive it in a year or two when gas prices have hit 4.00 gallon!
                    Just updated with some new pictures

53commander HDTP
                    53 Champion HDTP
                    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                    64 Champ long bed V8
                    64 GT
                    64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Working...
                    X