This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car shows and gas prices

I try not to let it bother me since summers so short,I mean up here in Canada we only get to enjoy our Studes for what seems like such a short time,then there locked up snow(and salt) bound for a long winter.
    But I was just figureing on taking both the 56 Transtar and the 60 Hawk to a show 60 miles away,thats a fuel bill,we've been paying over 3.00/gal for ahwile.
    Ive just got to get that OD working on the Transtar,and Ill make the other driver pay for the Hawks gas(G)

Gee Transtar where you getting gas for $3/gal here in Canada....I'd like to know . I've been paying over $4/gal for about a year now. I'm with you I go to car shows....don't like paying but like you said ....summer is short and getting shorter all the time Don't think our US friends should complain too much about their gas prices.....I'm looking forward to the Michigan drags just to fill up on the US side. On the subject od OD in your truck ...."get her done" I got one in my Champ and it cruises at 60 mph at 2000 rpm instead of 3000 in 3rd gear....that sure helps on the fuel ! Happy Studebakering
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Your right 2R5.Ill bring the truck over(its at my girlfreinds) next week and Ill have another go at it.It freewheels,but wouldn't up shift.The parts all are new,solonoid,governor,etc,its in the wiring Im sure.
      With your guys help Ill try fixing it next week when Ive got the truck here.

Comment

Could be a simple fix. I'd try the solenoid 1st off the tranny and make sure its working , just put power to it off a battery and see if the plunger comes out. Next make sure the govenor is grounding. you can easly bypass that thing with just a switch hidden under your dash....good luck
        sigpic

Comment

Transtar must mean US$3/gal. WE've topped CDN$1.00/litre this past week so that's over CDN$4.50/imperial gallon. Still cheap though when you compare what you're getting compared to the price of an equal volume of coffee or soft drinks. Twenty miles in our Hawk gives me a bigger kick than caffeine!

Comment

With gas prices seemingly not knowing any limit (except the sky) those 6 banger Studebakers are looking better and better! Perhaps a 1960 Lark 6 with 3 speed overdrive!

Studedude1961
            --1963 Cruiser, AND
            --1983 Dodge Aries K-Car Gas Savin' Driver (named Iacocca)

Comment

Before you know it, gas will cost more than bottled water![:0]
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Now you speak of a ' 60 lark six with OD...thats what I drive more then my truck this summer...it does make a difference ....just takes me a bit longer to catch up thats all
                sigpic

Comment

Yes I got mixed up in the conversion,were paying 1.04-1.10/litre here on the east coast where we have two of the largest refinerys.
                  As I noted on our trip to Nefoundland,my 259 auto in my 60 Hawk averages between 17-25 mpg,which really isn't bad.
                  Think of all those muscle car guys,and street rodders.
                  How much driving would you do with a 454 or a Mopar 440 wedge at these prices?

Comment

Wow, now I don't feel so bad after reading what our Canadian friends are paying for gas. Yesterday, I paid $2.65/ gal here on Long Island and was upset. Not upset anymore. Actually, since I drive my Stude only about 500-700 miles per touring season, the price of gas is really insignificant in the overall scheme of things.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark Regal VI
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

you people want to try living here in the UK with our gas prices, they are a real killer, quite a few here convert vehicles to use LPG.
                      If I used my export '39 more I would fit it up PDQ.
                      I run two Morris vehicles on LPG, clean burn,no stink, clean oil.
                      Mike Whitby SOC UK

MW

Comment

The real killer of high gas prices in the USA, and Canada, and probably in Australia, is the distances people have to travel to get to their jobs, etc. England is about the size of Indiana, and most people here commute 10 plus miles each way, every day, to their jobs. No real mass transit systems, except in only the largest American cities, and the "blue eyed Arabs" here in the USA take advantage of that. Of course, the best known BEAs are in the White House! LOL

quote:Originally posted by mike whitby

you people want to try living here in the UK with our gas prices, they are a real killer, quite a few here convert vehicles to use LPG.
                        If I used my export '39 more I would fit it up PDQ.
                        I run two Morris vehicles on LPG, clean burn,no stink, clean oil.
                        Mike Whitby SOC UK

MW
                        Sam Roberts

I'm a slow loser, but a fast learner

Comment

Working...
                        X