Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn fresh 1953 Studebaker Commander V8 4dr

Hello!
    I am brand new to this forum so please forgive the following questions, but inquiring minds would like to know!

I have recently inherited my great-grandparents 53 studebaker commander. It has 4 doors and the only commanders I can find on the internet refer to 2 doors. It is in great shape, no rust, has all the chrome. It will need an overhaul before it is road ready, but is in great original shape. What would be the value of this car? It has been parked since 1968 with only 55000 miles.

Thanks for any and all info you might have.

Joe S.

Hi Joe; welcome to the Studebaker Drivers' Club! We hope you will use the "quick sign-up" "sticky" at the top of the page to join us.
    I am sure you would enjoy fixing and driving this car and we can help!

If you want to see pic's of one and get an idea of the values, here is a start. But remember Condition, condition, condition ! That's what makes ALL the difference in the world!
    try this:

or this, it's a Champion "6" but basically the same:

And get those $$$ out of your eyes!!! LOL It is not the highly desirable Sport Coupe or Hardtop (C or K model), or even a 2dr. sedan. So it has a limited desirability factor. But that is not to say based on it's condition that it does not have a fair value, a 1953 Collector car will always have an increasing value! [^]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Joe; welcome to the Studebaker Drivers' Club! We hope you will use the "quick sign-up" "sticky" at the top of the page to join us.
      I am sure you would enjoy fixing and driving this car and we can help!

If you want to see pic's of one and get an idea of the values, here is a start. But remember Condition, condition, condition ! That's what makes ALL the difference in the world!
      try this:

or this, it's a Champion "6" but basically the same:

And get those $$$ out of your eyes!!! LOL It is not the highly desirable Sport Coupe or Hardtop (C or K model), or even a 2dr. sedan. So it has a limited desirability factor. But that is not to say based on it's condition that it does not have a fair value, a 1953 Collector car will always have an increasing value! [^]

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sounds like a really nice car, to me.[8D] But I'm notoriously biased to the '53s.[)] Think you could post a picture? Have you ever considered keeping it? The car would make a good hobby, and is a connection to your Great Grandparents. Do you have any children? The car could be a fun project for them to get involved with as well.

Also a thing to look at, with your car. In the first link (kindly supplied by Rich), note carefully, the emblem on the nose of the hood. The V with the gold coloured 8? Some of the '53s had simply a tristar emblem in that place. This is unique to the '53s because Mercedes objected to it. Dummies like me, really like that. Those cars are referred to as 'Tristars'. Probably doesn't add any value, just a descriptive thing some people look for.

But, pictures, please!

Lotsa Larks!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Sounds like a really nice car, to me.[8D] But I'm notoriously biased to the '53s.[)] Think you could post a picture? Have you ever considered keeping it? The car would make a good hobby, and is a connection to your Great Grandparents. Do you have any children? The car could be a fun project for them to get involved with as well.

Also a thing to look at, with your car. In the first link (kindly supplied by Rich), note carefully, the emblem on the nose of the hood. The V with the gold coloured 8? Some of the '53s had simply a tristar emblem in that place. This is unique to the '53s because Mercedes objected to it. Dummies like me, really like that. Those cars are referred to as 'Tristars'. Probably doesn't add any value, just a descriptive thing some people look for.

But, pictures, please!

Lotsa Larks!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Simply a tristar???

[img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...rnfresh_02.JPG [/img]

Champions had an "S" where that gold 8 is.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Simply a tristar???

[img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...rnfresh_02.JPG [/img]

Champions had an "S" where that gold 8 is.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome! I plan on keeping the old gal! It has a tremendous amount of sentimental value. This is my first Stude and I am anxious to start sometime in the next couple of years. I need to get the old gal out of the old shop at my grandparents. It is starting to fall apart and I would like to keep the girl in one piece and in decent shape.

I would like to try and upload a pic of the old girl. How do i do that?
                Joe

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome! I plan on keeping the old gal! It has a tremendous amount of sentimental value. This is my first Stude and I am anxious to start sometime in the next couple of years. I need to get the old gal out of the old shop at my grandparents. It is starting to fall apart and I would like to keep the girl in one piece and in decent shape.

I would like to try and upload a pic of the old girl. How do i do that?
                  Joe

Comment

I have the same front on my Stude, Mr. Biggs.

Joe

Comment

Joe

Comment

That Tri-Star makes it an EARLY 1953 model...cool!
                        Rich.

quote:Originally posted by Joe S.

Joe
                        StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That Tri-Star makes it an EARLY 1953 model...cool!
                          Rich.

quote:Originally posted by Joe S.

Joe
                          StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Joe,
                            What a great opportunity for you to have a great Studebaker that's actually part of your family. Most of us can't claim that.
                            Best of luck with the car. Since it's very low milage and in good shape, it should be relatively easy to get on the road.
                            ENJOY!!!!
                            Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                            Smithtown,NY
                            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Joe,
                              What a great opportunity for you to have a great Studebaker that's actually part of your family. Most of us can't claim that.
                              Best of luck with the car. Since it's very low milage and in good shape, it should be relatively easy to get on the road.
                              ENJOY!!!!
                              Rog

Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                              X