This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 Stude truck gas tank

Today, I started to tear down the parts off my 1949 1/2 ton truck. 1st. I jacked up the front end and placed jack stand. From there, I went to take the gas tank off. It was not hard of a job to take off. While I was loosing the the brass nut, I notice water in the tank. Ok, I thought I will call down town to find some one to hot tank the inside of my gas tank. Nobody wanted the job. They said that EPA prevents them from cleaning the tank. Ok, Does someone out thier have a nice process of cleaning gas tanks. Note. My gas tank looked good, but it had that varnish smell. Please give your inputs on cleaning method so that I can clean the tank myself. I would like to do this process safely, and corret.

I'll tell you what I do, just be careful. Put a can of Draino in the tank, carefully add hot water and let it "cook". Flush with clear water and repeat if needed. You can buy special solvents for the job, but nothing workd as well as the Draino (lye)

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    JDP Maryland

Comment

If its really gummed up the Lye treatment is good as long as you really use care. That means wear rubber gloves and use eye protection. If its not too bad just poor a couple of gallons of white vinegar in the tank and let it sit for a few days. Then flush with a baking soda/water solution. It sometimes helps to put a few bolts in the tank and then rattle them around in there first.

Mike

Comment

If you don't want to do it yourself, did you try calling a radiator repair shop?
        The lye process works good..
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by royvaldez

Today, I started to tear down the parts off my 1949 1/2 ton truck. 1st. I jacked up the front end and placed jack stand. From there, I went to take the gas tank off. It was not hard of a job to take off. While I was loosing the the brass nut, I notice water in the tank. Ok, I thought I will call down town to find some one to hot tank the inside of my gas tank. Nobody wanted the job. They said that EPA prevents them from cleaning the tank. Ok, Does someone out thier have a nice process of cleaning gas tanks. Note. My gas tank looked good, but it had that varnish smell. Please give your inputs on cleaning method so that I can clean the tank myself. I would like to do this process safely, and corret.
        DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
        '37 Coupe Express
        '37 Coupe Express Trailer
        '61 Hawk
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Roy, I would try Gas Tank Renu (http://www.gastankrenu.com/welcome.htm):
          Their local franchisee is:

Stockton
          Gas Tank Renu-USA
          ABC Radiator
          601 S. Wilson Way
          Stockton, California 95205 (209) 463-7401
          Ed Fortune
          Cindy Fortune

These guys have a neat process that works well. I do not know anything however about the Stockton guys.

Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Hello you all, I would like to thank all of you for your information. I went ahead and tried the draino. I will keep you posted. Dan, it is nice to hear from you. You see what you did to me. I have the Stude desease. Anyway, I have visited the guys in Stockton. They did a job for my brother who is restoring a cherry 1948 stude convertable. Oh yes, I did approach several radiator shops for the hot tank of my gas tank.

Comment

Roy, so sorry to hear that you are ill. Perhaps a nice Hudson Hornet would help?

Why don't you put that '63 Stude V8 in your truck???????

Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Dan, I would like to put the 289 motor in the truck. I just can't find a T-85 tranny. By the way, at pick and pull Sacramento some guy bought a 1934 2 door hudson.

Comment

Roy you might want to do one of the 4 or 5 spd conversions if you want a manual (the 4 can be done with a T10 from a 61 on Stude version). If you want an automatic I have a flight-o-matic in a stude 1/2 ton you can have for free, but it will need a rebuild. It is currently behind an R2 289.

Dan White
                  64 R1 GT
                  64 R2 GT
                  Dan White
                  64 R1 GT
                  64 R2 GT
                  58 C Cab
                  57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Hello again,
                    Just want to let all of you know of the result of the dranino process for the cleaning of my gas tank out of my 1949 stude truck. First step. I added water and 2 cans of Draino. I waited 3 days for the draino to do it's thing. Afterwards, I drained the draino and rinsed out about 5 times. You know what? The draino process worked out great. After everything was dried inside the tank, I added ready metal made by POR. Please read direction for it's useage. The ready metal was used to kill any rust that might be in the gas tank. I allowed 15 minutes for the ready metal to work. Then I poured ready metal back into the can by draining it into a coffee filter. After one day, I flashed several times and allowed to dry. Next I will use POR product to seal the tank. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks to all of the stude person's who gave me a first point of process in order to clean my tank.

Comment

Working...
                    X