This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pure Stock Drags on Speed Channel

I have it on good authority that the September 2004 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race will be aired on The Speed Channel/My Classic Car Sunday, August 14 at 10AM Eastern Time. This should include Dennis Gage interviewing Ted Harbit with The Stude Tomato.

BP

Mr Palma: Thanks much for your heads up on the Ted (aka chicken hawk) Harbit Speed Channel schedule.
    wagone and Avanti I

Comment

Thanks Bob! A good reason to pay my cable bill!

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Must be going to be a big turn out this year...I booked the last room in the Mayfield Inn yesterday ...couldn't believe it ...boy that was close !
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I will have to watch that. What I do for a living is. I work for Tnthunder motorsports. We pro drag race nostalgia super/stock Fords. We have 8 as a total. 64 Thunderbolt. 63 Galaxie lightweight etc. We even have Hubertt Platts 66 Mustang Georgia Shaker funny car. All are 427 cu. in. Ford F E motors. 2 have Holman&Moody 1000 hp alcohol injected Tunnel ports. I would never cut up a Stude to drag it. If you want to see some nice Ford drag cars and our 6 car hauler semi-tractor trailer. go to http://tnthunder.com click onto each car for more photos. We all have to work somewhere.

jerry moore

Comment

Jerry ...these Studes aren't "cut up"...they're just fast ! <g>
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

And thats why they call it 'PURE STOCK'!!!

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I understand they are not cut up. I was just saying We lighten up the Fords in everyway possible. I would never do to a studebaker what we do to these fords. We even cut the door hindges to about justwhat we think is enough to hold the doors on. These cars here are pure Pro drag race only. My boss (not me) is a multi milionare. I just enjoy working on cars I only saw in Magazines when young. Meeting hero's to me like Don Garlits, Hubert Platt and people like that. After working on these expensive race cars, I want a nice clean stude GT hawk to just tour in. Even the hard core drag racers love a nice stude.

jerry moore

Comment

Jerry...I settled the estate of Mike Marinoff a few years ago. In 1967 he was sponsored by Ford and built a 67 A/GS mustang called the golden gasser with a blown 427 SOHC. The car set the national record in it's first major meet. He had one street cammer left when he died. I sold it to a customer of his who will put it in a mustang. it has crane cams, fordgetrue pistons, carrillo rods, donovan valves and more. I learned much of what I know from Mike.

Jim Pepper

Comment

That sohc 427 is a true and rare racing legend. We wish we could find one. We lucked out finding the two Holman and Moody built tunnel port 427's. They were in a garage in Memphis and we found them threw word of mouth. The other engines are 427 FE High Risers. They are pro built to shift at 8500 RPM by Kuntz and Co. in Texarkana Texas, a racing legend in the Ford community. The 66 Mustang Funny car will run 204 Mph in the quarter. The other cars run very low 10's. I mostly do the body and paint, set up the rear end gears, built the Jericho 4 speeds and make suspension adjustments. Really I do what ever the boss asked me to do. He knows and appreciate the fact that I am a true Studebaker and Packard lover. I get that from my dad. He had several studebakers, packards and even a 31 Franklin Pirate not to mention 7 Indian motorcycles, 1913 to 1917. I guess that is why he trust his life to my work on these race cars. He knows I pay attention to detail as my dad schooled me.

jerry moore

Comment

And when Dick Bennett the 3rd bought the Avanti EX-2942 in 1969 it had a Ford cammer engine in it, he threw a fit and made us remove it and he took along a 229 motor for it out of the Terrible Turkey EX-2143. He left the cammer laying on the floor. They would have given it to him just to get rid of him.

Comment

Back a few years...pelstate dragstrip, opelousas, la...1968...1964 supercruiser ....r-2 they tried to dis-qualify it but according to nhra handbook couldn't. class h pure stock auto 3rd run 12.07 118mphin the quarter owned by hank thibodeaux driven by big jim.held class record at pel state until they closed down hellova run.

Comment

Big Jim: A 12.07 at 118 mph------what the h**l was that thing? Couldn't have been a "real" R2. Tell us more.

wagone and Avanti I

Comment

hey gang : it was indeed an r-2 64 cruiser purchased new from clayton motors in new jersey with 2000 mi on the odo purchased in 1967 by hank thibideaux in st. martinville, la. first 2 runs were in the 15's coming off the line in 1st gear. 3rd run was 4000 rpm in neutral at the green slammed in low and shifted out at 4800. thats the whole story dang people down ther didnt believe it either, but didnt have any choice. i was drivin the durn thing and didnt believe it but couldnt arge with the clock.in a word amazing.

Comment

Working...
                            X