This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pot metal repair and rechroming service

Has anyone here used rechroming place that repairs the pitted, rough looking pot metal as part of their process, prior to the plating? I found two places with websites, and I'd like to hear some of the ones you have tried, how expensive they tend to be, and whether you were happy with the results.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

I know Qual chrome charged $900 to replate 4 pieces of C-K belt line that was not badly pitted. They have to drill out every pit and fill before plating.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    JDP Maryland

Comment

I had a local shop do some beltline pot metal for Jim Turner's '64 convertible. Well, actually, it was mine when I sent it to them, and it took them so long to plate the stuff that it was Turner's and I had the replacement car on the road before I got the pieces back

I think next time I will try Qual-Krom. A lot of places don't want to touch pot metal, and I'm not about to try to convince a chrome shop to do plating that they don't want to do. Alternately you could try Jerry Forrester in Georgia, he's a Stude guy, but when I called him about these pieces he didn't want to solder the broken pieces together (and I can respect that.) I've had him do some less completely wrecked pieces for me in the past though.

good luck,

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Try Iverson Automotive in Minnetonka, MN He did some things for my GT hawk - horn ring and tail-light housing. He does very nice work and is not unreasonable. He is known for concourse grade plating. I don't have his (George Iverson's) number handy, but you can find his information on the internet. Just be prepared to wait a little. He told me it would take 5 weeks, but it turned out closer to 8+ weeks. Still, that's not too bad.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Any reputable plater will examine your items and give a quote before proceeding.
          I've sent most of my stuff to LiBrandi's in Middletown, Pa. Very satisfied with his work; light pitting and small cracks no problem. The grills for my 53 were so severely pitted he returned them and suggested Pot Metal Restorations in Tallahassee, Fl. $1600 later they are gorgeous.
          No quality repair and plating will be cheap but it's all relative to your disposable income (or credit rating) and your goals for the car.
          If you're in touch with your local chapter members ask the guys who have built show winners who they would recommend.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Those prices are higher than I feel it's worth, but what else can you do? Makes me almost want to sand 'em down myself, fill in the pits with JB Weld, and have them powdercoated instead of chrome plated. But I won't. I guess I'll keep on shopping until I give in and hock my wife.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Do you think we can get a two-for-one deal if I throw my wife in too?
              Kevin in the Stoogebaker

1963 Champ

Comment

$4800 total for my Golden Hawk 5 years back, shocked the hell out of me.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                JDP Maryland

Comment

I was just perusing the South Georgia SDC website. You can link directly from this site. In their "Garage" section they mentioned a couple of chrome speciality shops. One, described as very good and very reasonable, was in their area. The other, described as the best in the business is in El Segundo, CA. Hope that helps. Kevin in the Stoogebaker

1963 Champ

Comment

Working...
                  X