This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers and Orphans at Car Shows

Another post appearing today calls on Studebaker drivers to drive their Studebakers and be seen. I started to put my two cents in and got myself on a tangient about car shows. The tangient might make an interesting post question so here it is: How many of you participate in old car shows? How many USED to participate in car shows but now avoid them? Here in the Midwest (Nebraska) where Fords and Chevys are kings, it's hard to pick up trophies with orphan cars unless they are absolutely frame-off perfect. I had a 1960 Lark that was in very good condition that I used to show quite often. It was always grouped in the 1959-1963 unmodified group and I can remember thinking that if any year Chevy showed up the chance for first place was gone. If a Ford of that vintage came driving up, second place was gone. A 1959 Cadillac guaranteed going home with just a dash plaque. A friend had a beautiful 1955 Commander coupe that was first place material until a 1957 Chevy showed up. (As an aside, I am convinced all but 42 1957 Chevrolets built are still in existance. Common!). Anyhow, I wonder if other club members notice the same thing when they attend car shows, or is this just a Nebraska thing? I am convinced that the mania for 1950s and 1960s Fords and Chevys has pretty much scared off collectors of really old cars from pre-WWII. You never see these cars at car shows anymore. Any thoughts on this topic other than switching to bow tie? (yuk!)
    Studedude1961
    --1963 Cruiser (nice but not trophy material!)

I have often mentioned that we Stude lovers must get out among the great unwashed to spread the Studebaker gospel, not just preach to the choir. Too many members of my chapter ONLY go to Stude events, and then wonder why the growth of the club is so slow. The important thing is to GO!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Not all of the people involved with Studebakers are interested in showing. I go to the shows (rarely) to see what a perfect car looks like and to get ideas for my own. The problem with any kind of show is that the judges opinion is rule of law. Personally I think an opinion is kind like the things we keep covered up with underwear. They should be kept private. Then again, I just flashed the public again...[:I]

All that said; If the judges like Fords and Chevys better than other makes they will place their favourites. One gets the same thing in dog shows, horse shows, etc ad nauseum. I like Studebakers for the very reason that they are'nt popular with the show crowd. That keeps the price where I can (almost) afford them. The fact that Studes have the best parts and service network for classic cars around is a great bonus. The fact that one does'nt place in the open show arena is a minor thing. Count your blessings that your '57 President only cost 14k instead of 50k.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I sound like my aunt Margret. "Therre's no rrreason to thrrrow money away laddiebuck!" She used to say. "If Ye're thrrrifty ye'll have more to spend on the things ye like." And she's still driving her abnormally reliable Scottsman. Go figure.

And here I've gone running along again.[:I] Sorry.

Lotsa Larks!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Studeclunker
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I try to tell myself that it is a $10 piece of wood and try to forget the trophy.I like to go to a show and enjoy the cars and people. We all know who has the best mobile, it's me,ha,ha.[?][:0][)]

Comment

if you are willing to clean your vehicle, drive a distance, pay a sum between $15 & $50, sit in sun for 6-10 hrs. for a $5.00 trophy that's your issue, but to whine about it is anal.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by oldcarfart

if you are willing to clean your vehicle, drive a distance, pay a sum between $15 & $50, sit in sun for 6-10 hrs. for a $5.00 trophy that's your issue, but to whine about it is anal.
            I could not have said it better, OCF. If chasing trophys makes you unhappy, then don't do it. Find a way to participate that you enjoy. Misery is optional.

-Dick-
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here in the Panhandle of Texas, we have pretty well got away from judging and gone to popular vote by viewers or participants in order to encourage participation of those who have cars that are not perfect but of special interest such as '09 EMF, '12 Buick, 22 Studebaker, etc. However, we still have the diehards who want there car judged, and then raise cain when points are knocked off. Oh, well! We have a Studebaker/Packard meet coming up in Raton, NM in September and it will be popular choice for awards. I'll post a separate topic in the Forum soon describing it.

Comment

Yesterday, I went out to Fredericksburg, TX for their car club's annual swap meet and car show (not judged, simply a 50cent admission to see approx. 20 cars indoors - two of which happened to be Studebakers). First time I have been, and it is a big event. Outside the show building are hundreds of vendors and clubs, showing off their cars and offering most for sale. The Texas Hill Country Chapter of SDC was there with two booth spaces, and Ken Berry brought his beautiful 56 Golden Hawk, (red lower, white upper) to display outdoors by the SDC booth (not one of the ones in the indoor "show"). So, this is one local chapter that did its duty to get the interest up. I wasn't there very long, and have just recently joined, so you would have to ask one of the regulars how it went in terms of interested visitors to the SDC booth.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
                "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon
                Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Fredericksburg, TX. is a nice town for a car meet. I wish I could have been there. We were there over the Memorial Day weekend. A super town to visit and bum around in.

Comment

My question is: How can someone enjoy driving into a car show with yet ANOTHER 55-57 Chebby? or how 'bout a Cramaro? My son knows the production #s of several years of Camaro,I think the # of '79s equals about 10 years of production of Studebaker--- and it appears that all but 3 79s have survived.[thats why they call'm bellybuttons]
                    My friend Jack did get a trophy with his 62 GT HAWK,so it does happen.And he probably has less money in it than some of these guys put into their engines!
                    So,if you want to show the car,do it for the fun of it,don't worry about that $10 block of wood,and be glad you're not stuck in the chev-ford-dodge rut.Just think,if you had a 57 cheb,you're not gonna hear all the 'stupid-baker questions'like'what is it?' or-'so it's a ford engine?' or-'who built it?'

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

if you are willing to clean your vehicle, drive a distance, pay a sum between $15 & $50, sit in sun for 6-10 hrs. for a $5.00 trophy that's your issue, but to whine about it is anal. (Oldcarfart)

Wow Oldcar you are a tough room and I'm far from whining about an anal topic. This is talked about all the time at various chapter and local SDC meets and I was merely interested in what others thought. Keep it friendly.

Studedude1961
                      --1963 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude1961

Wow Oldcar you are a tough room and I'm far from whining about an anal topic. This is talked about all the time at various chapter and local SDC meets and I was merely interested in what others thought. Keep it friendly.

Studedude1961
                        --1963 Cruiser
                        Studedude,
                        Not to defend Old Car Fart, but your post did sound a lot like whining. (maybe a little sour grapes thrown in?). I don't say this to be mean spirited. Not everyone enjoys every aspect of the old car hobby, and that's OK. The trick is to find those things you can do with your Studebaker(s) that turns your crank, and then do them (and stay away from those things that make you angry or unhappy).

I used to enter my Studes in judged car shows. Everything from Studebaker only events, to concours d'elegance shows, to The Oakland Roadster Show, etc. I enjoyed it for a while. In fact, my Studebakers did relatively well at times. I thought the judging was generally well done win or loose. I certainly couldn't "judge" as well as those that took on that responsibility. I did not see any bias toward certain makes or models or against Studebakers. I don't do judged shows any more. I like to drive my cars too much, and driven cars have a very difficult time wining judged shows. I also found I enjoyed the events more if I entered "display only". This way I could spend my time at the show any way I wanted to, talk to more people about cars, have more fun, and not have to worry about where to stash a "dust collector" if I was lucky enough (or unlucky enough <grin&gt to win one.

At GoodGuys events and most local "cruise nights" and charity shows, there is not "true" judging. Judging at these events is subjective. It is what ever appeals to the "judge(s)" at the time. At these events too, I have not seen a bias towards the mainstream cars and/or against Studebakers. In fact, I see the opposite. People (including judges) get tired of seeing another tri-five Chevy and gravitate toward the "wierd stuff"...like our cars. At the Puyallup, WA, GoodGuys event a few weeks ago, a disproportionate number of "picks" were given to Studebakers (everything from an M hot rod, to a restored 1933 Hearse, to a couple of beautiful 1953 Coupes) and other orphans (a unique Diamond T station wagon, for example). These were all georgous cars and deserving of the awards, but my guess is that if there was a 32 Ford highboy or a 57 Chev in exactly the same condition the Studebaker (or other orphan) would get the nod. You can't win these subjectively "judged" shows ONLY by by having a unique car. Your Studebaker has to be exceptionally clean and attractive also, or a nice '63 Corvette will eat your lunch.

If you want to win car shows (both subjective and objectively judged ones), be prepared to spend the $10,000 the winners spend on a paint job, the $6,000 on an interior, the $4,000 chrome bill, etc., and keep it in your climate controlled garage unless you have it on the trailer going to a show. If you don't do this (and the competition does), don't count on winning. As beautiful and unique as our Studebakers are, they need as much help as an old Chevy does to be a winner.

One other point. I took a "Top 20" award in Lincoln, NE, with a Studebaker at the 2001 Americruise. (This was after driving the car from Pomona, CA). I found the people in Lincoln to be friendly, generous, and car crazy. There were several nice Studebakers at the meet and all had crowds around them all the time. My experience is the opposite of yours. I found Nebraska folks love their Studebakers in all shapes and sizes.

I'll be at Spokane most of the week with my '54 Starliner (display only <grin&gt. If you are going to be there, I'll buy you a beer.

Regards,
                        -Dick-

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I could drive a 1957 Chevy but prefer Studebakers and Nebraska car show folks are great. Just wondering if anyone else noticed most trophies go to cars that were more popular than Studebaker when new. No whining or sour grapes intended.

Studedude1961

Comment

quote:Wow Oldcar you are a tough room <snip> Keep it friendly.
                            You just saw OCF's good side.

He's friendly, and a fun guy to be around. However, it does help to get to know him. [}]

Dave's Place
                            Studebaker Emporium
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude1961

Just wondering if anyone else noticed most trophies go to cars that were more popular than Studebaker when new. No whining or sour grapes intended.

Studedude1961

You are absolutely correct. Most trophys go to cars that sold more than Studebaker. Studebaker's BIGGEST market share year was 1959 when they had 6.02% (mostly the new Lark). They averaged 3-4%. The big three had 81.56% 1n 1959...they had 95.20% market share in 1955.

Assuming the survival rate for all cars is the same (a big IF), about 30 big three cars are going to show up for every Studebaker in your class. You have to be better than all of them to trophy (you can't just be more unique, you have to have better paint, interior, detailing, presentation, etc. to win).

With that said, I stil believe that Studebakers garner more trophys at car shows than their market share would indicate.

-Dick-
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X