This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Provincial proddings

I've been trying to get the Provincial's floor ready to recieve some fibreglassing and also trying to rustproof some areas that will be closed up/covered up eventually.
    The PO let this car set with it's original, rubber matting in place for years. This while the car was covered by a "tarp" that did more to hold moisture in than keep it out. The jute backing on the rubber matting was an excellent nursery for tinworms to incubate and feed. Consequently, this "California Car" has some rust in it's floorboards. Even a bit in the front too as carpeting served to play sponge when shrunken door seals let rain find it's way inside.[V]
    The rear floors are a bit of a challenge as I want to anchor seat belts there and there's not much left to anchor to![B)] I'm thinking of a sub-floor bar (crossmember, if you will)that would attach to the frame rails on either side. Easy enough EXCEPT for the damned driveshaft and it's floor hump. Another approach is a heavy, triangular plate that would fair into the frame rail aft of where the belt mount points would be.
    I'm going for 3-point belts and the B-pillar part is easy. In fact, if the floorboards weren't so moth-eaten, I'd just slap a big piece of reinforcement plate beneath them and be happy with it. I DON'T wanna put new floorpans in this thing.

[img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...55_RRFloor.jpg [/img]

Another thing that I addressed was cleaning out in the bottom of the A & B-pillars. It's solid inside these but I can't, for the life of me, figure what was served by the body line when they obviously stuck the nozzel of the Dum-Dum gun inside the bottom holes of these pillars and squeezed off a large dollop into them.
    The stuff didn't lay down and really seal anything. After 50 years it's just IN THERE, like a fossilized pile of dog doo!
    Oh - it's STUCK to a good degree, but it sealed nothing but the bit of floorboard that it leaned upon. I spent a couple of HOURS digging it all out. Must've did away with 2 useless pounds of baggage!
    Note in both pics, you can see the little die-cut teeth that your windlace is held in with. You insert the tab of the windlace and then tap the tooth down to hold it fast.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

I had some places like that in the floorboard of the 51 I put POR 15 on then put fiberglass cloth on top of it while it was still wey then let dry for a little while then put some more over it. Dryed hard as a rock

Comment

I had some places like that in the floorboard of the 51 I put POR 15 on then put fiberglass cloth on top of it while it was still wey then let dry for a little while then put some more over it. Dryed hard as a rock

Comment

It would be nice to see that Provincial last a couple more generations, Bob.
        I'm afraid in the Northeast rustbelt I wouldn't think twice about new floor pans.

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        33 Rockne 10
        51 Commander Starlight
        53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

It would be nice to see that Provincial last a couple more generations, Bob.
          I'm afraid in the Northeast rustbelt I wouldn't think twice about new floor pans.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          33 Rockne 10
          51 Commander Starlight
          53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I know what you mean. Thing is, out here - if they rust, they rust from the top down (if it's living too close to the ocean) or from the inside out (wet carpets & mats thanks to leaky seals and windows left down.
            Looking at this wagon from underneath, if it weren't for the few holes that have opened up, you'd think it was rust free. Dang frame looks really solid as do the body supports and all the related hardware. If only it hadn't set, covered up for 8 or 10 years - or someone had had the understanding that soaked jute padding was doing the car harm..........[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I know what you mean. Thing is, out here - if they rust, they rust from the top down (if it's living too close to the ocean) or from the inside out (wet carpets & mats thanks to leaky seals and windows left down.
              Looking at this wagon from underneath, if it weren't for the few holes that have opened up, you'd think it was rust free. Dang frame looks really solid as do the body supports and all the related hardware. If only it hadn't set, covered up for 8 or 10 years - or someone had had the understanding that soaked jute padding was doing the car harm..........[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Bob,

There was a great thread a while back about adding seatbelts and issues with worrying about weak floors. The concern was upon impact, the washers might pull through. The hot-rod aftermarket has come up with some great solutions, and at a good price. It was a long thread. Hope you can find it.

KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Bob,

There was a great thread a while back about adding seatbelts and issues with worrying about weak floors. The concern was upon impact, the washers might pull through. The hot-rod aftermarket has come up with some great solutions, and at a good price. It was a long thread. Hope you can find it.

KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kurtruk

There was a great thread a while back about adding seatbelts and issues with worrying about weak floors.
                    I took part in that discussion. Here's the link, to save everyone from doing a search: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...?TOPIC_ID=4370

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                    The Red-Headed Amazon
                    Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
                    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                    The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kurtruk

There was a great thread a while back about adding seatbelts and issues with worrying about weak floors.
                      I took part in that discussion. Here's the link, to save everyone from doing a search: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...?TOPIC_ID=4370

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                      The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                      The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Hey Bob - You could slap a piece of reinforcing plate over the weakened pans AND fiberglass 'em. Would add the strength you need without the cost or hassle of replacing the pans. 18 gauge should be sufficient. (ME, giving YOU advice! HA!) <G>

Western Washington, USA

Comment

Hey Bob - You could slap a piece of reinforcing plate over the weakened pans AND fiberglass 'em. Would add the strength you need without the cost or hassle of replacing the pans. 18 gauge should be sufficient. (ME, giving YOU advice! HA!) <G>

Western Washington, USA

Comment

Mr. Biggs,
                            When I mounted the 3 points in the front of our Provincial the outer mounts (with the retractors) ended up just inboard of the B pillars, and the reinforcement plates underneath had one edge overlapping against a body to frame gusset. The inner mounts ended up on the lower edge of the driveshaft hump, just to the rear of the driveshaft center support bearing cross member.
                            I have some pictures if needed.

Ross.
                            Riverside, Ca.
                            1957 Provincial X2
                            1958 Transtar
                            1963 Lark. F.S.
                            sigpic
                            Ross.
                            Riverside, Ca.
                            1957 Provincial X2
                            1958 Transtar

Comment

Mr. Biggs,
                              When I mounted the 3 points in the front of our Provincial the outer mounts (with the retractors) ended up just inboard of the B pillars, and the reinforcement plates underneath had one edge overlapping against a body to frame gusset. The inner mounts ended up on the lower edge of the driveshaft hump, just to the rear of the driveshaft center support bearing cross member.
                              I have some pictures if needed.

Ross.
                              Riverside, Ca.
                              1957 Provincial X2
                              1958 Transtar
                              1963 Lark. F.S.
                              sigpic
                              Ross.
                              Riverside, Ca.
                              1957 Provincial X2
                              1958 Transtar

Comment