This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 President Classics

[8D]Gang: The thread about the bargain 56H-Y6 just acquired reminded me: My Dad's dealership sold two new Mocha/Doeskin 1956 President Classics: Serial Numbers 7185621 and 7175696. 7185621 had factory air conditioning, running the tab up to $3,916.60 with Illinois Sales Tax! If anyone owns either of those cars today, I can supply you with a color copy of the original selling dealer's Invoice to the Original Owner. Cheers. Bob Palma.

BP

Bob, I checked mine and it isn't one of the two you listed. But it is a Y6.

Proud owner of a 1956 President

Comment

Both cars were delivered in a rural part of the rust belt, so it is unlikely they survive.

The air conditioned one was sold to Conrey Drilling Company, VFW Building, Centralia IL.

The other one (no air conditioning) was sold to Forest F. Gossett of Chrisman IL. Forest traded in 1949 Studebaker #4390553 for a credit of $704.78 against the $3,443.78 total for his new President Classic.

BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Here's a question that's been kicked around before (I know how it feels, too!)

If you were lucky enough to find a zero-time Stude, would you drive it or preserve it? [?] I'd DRIVE IT![^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I agree. If they weren't meant to be driven, why bother putting an engine in it?

Proud owner of a 1956 President Classic

Comment

Bob: You mentioned a 56 President Classic sold by your dad's dealership with factory air. How is this option listed on the production order and what other options did the car have?

Dad purchased in 1956 a leftover 55 President that was a demo/showroom draw/personal car of the Charlotte, NC Studebaker Dealer, Nance Motors. It had the trunk mounted, Studebaker Car Air Conditioning System that ducted through the two clear plastic ducts mounted on the rear package shelf. Other options were automatic, p/s,p/b,p/seat, power front windows only, fog lamps and dealer installed ( I suspect) wire wheels. Car was two tone green and cream. An excellent car that served the family up until about 1971 when it brought about $200.00 as a trade along with a 49 Champion Starlight Coupe for a 71 Chrysler.

This system was manufactured by NOVI. I still have the original dealer manual for this a/c system. It was 6 volt as opposed to the 56 & up 12 volt systems.

There is a 56 Commander on Ebay that is mentioned with air conditioning. If I look closely at the bottom edge of the dash, I can make out the 3 control systems that from what I remember, look like the system in dad's 55. I can't make out the plastic ducts in the back window. Has anyone asked about this car? I would like to add factory a/c to a 57 President Classic that already has factory p/w & p/seat.

Bill Sapp

Comment

Hey Big Guy, I did that almost! Seven years ago last month I bought a 1966 Cruiser with 13,962 miles on the clock, it is now over 55 thousand, and rusting, but I have enjoyed it a hell of a lot! I am gonna die someday, and I cannot take it with me!

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Here's a question that's been kicked around before (I know how it feels, too!)

If you were lucky enough to find a zero-time Stude, would you drive it or preserve it? [?] I'd DRIVE IT![^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              Sam Roberts

I'm a slow loser, but a fast learner

Comment

There's a '63 cruiser in Minn. that is reputed to have 9k on it. If they have'nt sold it that is. I had pictures of it and seem to have lost them. It was blue, Robin's egg I think. The thing was exquisite.
                I saw a '62 that was almost as good on e-bay. It was Champagene Mist (kind of a soft brown with rose in it). The only difference was milage, got a picture and can't figure how to get it here... so frustrating! Grrrrr!
                Anyway, I'd drive em. They'd be my good car though. My baby.[8D]

Lotsa Larks!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Studeclunker
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I have had the pleasure to own 2 Classics, One Vice-president (not a classic), and a Commander. I have had one President 2 door sedan. I love all the '56 models. C's & K's too. Great year for Studebaker. Bigger engine, bigger, better brakes (finned), first muscle car....the Golden Hawk. Great year. Kelly in Tucson

Kelly J. Marion

Comment

I agree with ya there. 1956 WAS one of the best Stude years as far as looks and quality. We have a 56 Champ two door, a 56 Power Hawk, and a Sky Hawk. All three are great cars. Someday I would love tho have a Pres. Classic and a Pres. Wagon. And as weel to take a 60-62 Lark convertible and make a 56 Pres convertible. Wouldn't that be cool? It would have a R2 Stude engine with 4-speed. Not to mention all the other high performance stuff onit. But most of all it will be VERY luxureous.
                    The two tings most wanted in a car, performance and luxury, and it will have them both.
                    Matthew (someday...) Burnette

Matthew Burnette

63 Daytona HT
                    lots more Studes
                    lotsa parts too

Comment

Matt,

You've mentioned a dream I've had for some time. I'd like to take a 60 Lark ragtop and meld it with a 56-7-8 2-door sedan ('58 Commander would be a cool candidate with those fins![:0])
                      Primarily - as I've envisoined it - if you'd take the X-member of the Lark - transfer it to the 50-whichever sedan frame and then apply the convertible tub, the rest would fall into place pretty easily.

As to driving low-mileage cars. The newest one I ever owned was a '58 Commander hardtop with 29K on it. Boy, that was a sweet-driving car. Drove it for over a year before I traded up to another Stude of some sort.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Kabchef, that's the same thing I thought. At this moment, our 56 two door sedan is parked baside a customer's 60 Lark convertible at our shop. I've known that the Lark was a reskin of the 53's, and the 56 convertible idea just made sense. One day I WILL build it. But right now I'm only 15 years old, and my Daytona is my main concern (as far as cars go) right now. But to me, the 56's, ALL the 56's, even the trucks, were the best lookin Studes built in that era. A convertible of that year would be one beautiful machine. I'm thinking Romany Red and a light creamy white color... and accented with a medium-tan leather interior. (trimmed in red). Now wouldn't that be perdy!? Oh, and it would have a white top, if you ever showed if with the top up.
                        One of these days...

Matthew Burnette

63 Daytona HT
                        lots more Studes
                        lotsa parts too

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Bill Sapp

Bob: You mentioned a 56 President Classic sold by your dad's dealership with factory air. How is this option listed on the production order and what other options did the car have?
                          Bill Sapp

Bill: I do not have copies of the factory production orders for the cars my Dad sold. What I have are the typewritten dealership copies of Car Invoices. These are the legal Purchase Agreements between the Dealership (Palma-Rhoads Motors; Paris IL) and the Purchaser.

The Purchaser would have received the original when he bought the car; what I have are the blue carbon copies of the original document (given to the purchaser). These documents have Serial Numbers, Body Numbers, Engine Numbers, Key Numbers, and Paint Codes and/or paint colors listed, along with various other information.

The air-conditioned 1956 President Classic sold to Conrey Drilling Company of Centralia Il was VIN 7185621, as I stated earlier. The typewritten list of options, as delivered, is:

2-Tone Color (Mocha & Doeskin)
                          Air Conditioning
                          Tinted Glass
                          Flightomatic Transmission
                          Power Steering
                          Whitewall Tires
                          Climatizer
                          Directional Signals (STD equipment I am sure, but still itemized)
                          Wheel Discs
                          Rear Bumper Guards
                          Back-Up Lights
                          Windshield Washers
                          Undercoating
                          Cigar Lighter (I can't imagine this was an extra-cost option
                          on a 56H-Y6, but...)

Air conditioners were all trunk-mounted units in Studebakers back then. BP

BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by mbstude

I agree with ya there. 1956 WAS one of the best Stude years as far as looks and quality. We have a 56 Champ two door, a 56 Power Hawk, and a Sky Hawk. All three are great cars. Someday I would love tho have a Pres. Classic and a Pres. Wagon.

Matthew Burnette

OK, You guys that like 56s, close you eyes and imagine this little hot-rod my Dad delivered new February 23, 1956. This was a pretty neat little car if you stop to think about it. It was/is VIN 8442095.

1956 Studebaker Commander Sedanet, 56B-F2 (that's the light-weight cheapie 2-door with side trim only halfway down the side, remember, and no stainless-steel trim around the windshield and backlite). It was solid Cambridge Grey (charcoal metallic) with blackwall tires.

It was equipped as follows:

Overdrive
                            Directional Signals
                            Climatizer
                            Power Kit (4-barrel carburetor & dual exhausts)
                            Oil Bath Air Cleaner (a common option in rural areas
                            due to gravel roads).
                            Foam Rubber Front Seat Cushion
                            Oil Filter
                            Wheel discs
                            7.10X15 Tires

Imagine that! A cheapie, solid grey Sedanet with blackwall tires, power kit, and overdrive! Kool! It was sold new to Claude Thomas of Paris Illinois. I sure wonder what happened to that little bugger; I'll bet it would fly with no more options than that and a Power Kit with Overdrive! 'Probably surprised a few power-pack 1956 Chevy 265s, that's for sure.

Pleasant dreams. BP

BP

Comment

5 years ago I bought my Lark that had 27k miles on it(documented).
                              It now has 62k.
                              If you don't drive them,there not cars.
                              But I was feeling a bit guilty about putting so many miles on my Lark that I went and aquired 3 other Studes to "share the load".
                              This summer Ive put 7k miles on the 60 Hawk,2k on the 56 Transtar,and about 10 on the Lark,though my Dad has been driving it to the odd show and enjoying it.
                              Actualy Im thinking of switching back to the Lark as the weather gets colder,as it has a better defroster system than the Hawk,and it has a good stereo,which I really miss.
                              I guess if you have enough Studes you won't run up to many miles on any one,so now thats my philosophy of why one Studebaker is just not enough(G)

Comment

Working...
                              X