This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor Cap Oriectation

I'm in the midst of changing the spark plugs and wires and I noticed something funny regarding the distributor cap. I made a note of which wire went from which cylinder to where on the cap with the cylinders numbered in order from the front of the vehicle to the rear so the cylinder closest to the front bumper is #1 and the one closest to the rear is #8. Once I finished removing the wires I noticed the cap was already numbered. However after comparing the cap to my diagram( the current wiring of the plugs ) I realized that they were different so I don't know what to do now. The cap was oriented that if you're looking at it form the driver side of the vehicle you can read it. Well I made this little diagram of both the current wiring and the way the cap said to wire it. http://community.webshots.com/photo/...06238005fXVHdp

However, the vehicle does run now... what to do? I can't seem to find any info in my service manual.

PS. Is the cylinder farthest forward #1 and the rest in ascending order towards the rear of the vehicle?

This may be of some help:

Dwain G.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

None of those match the wiring for my cap. I re-wired the way it was because I don't think she was misfiring before and she doesn't seem to be now.

Comment

I do not have #'s on my distributor cap. I go front as one wire and then follow the firing order counter clock wise from there. Ifin the distributor is 180 degres off, then the back of the cap ( closest to the fire wall)is # one and go counter clock from there with the wires. Would the 1940 + or - a few years Stubebaker be different than my 1955 in relation the rotation of the rotor and location of the # one cylinder???

Comment

I have no idea. I'm pretty sure it's not mis-firing cuz it runs fine, no bucking or anything.

Comment

Working...
          X