This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?------"hurricane six"

well everyone you a all be happy to know that last night (friday july 22nd ) was my studs virgin voyage as me owning it. it only toke me a year to get it to this point but hey thats the fun of it right.

anyways i went to the local cruise spot and an elderly gentleman came a stroolling up and after thriughly inspecting my stud for a while he ask a few questions about it

conversation goes on and after awhile he ask me if it had studebakers hurricane six in it

does this ring a bell does anyone know anything about this so called hurricane six and how would i know if thats what i got or not .

oh yeah i also forgot to mention to check out my post in general talk if your interested in how the 1st trip went

Comment

Hurricane 6 is a Willys Engine.

Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Yup - Willys! They had that Hurricane Six and the Break Wind Four.[:0][}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Huricane 6 in Willis? Some Willis six cyl were supersonic 6 by Connential , I think the Henry J and Allstate used the Hurricane six as did Darrin, the Kaiser sports car. If you want I can double check that information, I'm quite sure it is correct.

Comment

In 1962 Willys came out with the Tornado 6, an OHC inline six! Outstanding for a company the size and financial situation as it was! Too bad Studebaker did not come out with a 6 like this, although it probably would not have helped.

Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Yeah it was an exciting concept but poor execution. I owned for a while a 63 Jeep Wagoneer with one of those Tornado OHC, man talk about leaking oil. It ran alright, had fair power but nothing exceptional. Judging by the way it was engineered, it must have been a conversion of an older flathead design. IE the front timing cover was gasketed to the front motor plate which had all kinds of o-rings etc.

I didnt keep it long and the Army didnt keep the M715 trucks which used the same engine very long either. I think the Army adopted the M715's in the late 60's and most were replaced by the 1977 Dodge M880, an insuficient vehicle. Eventually Hummers took over the jobs of the M715's
              M151's and M880's.

Comment

I remember a Pontiac, '64 or so,OHV straight 6,it also was a great boat anchor.

Everybody's Uncle Used To Have One!
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

The "Break Wind Four" was fueled by White Castles. :-)

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Yup - Willys! They had that Hurricane Six and the Break Wind Four.[:0][}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  Paul Leske
                  '59 Lark VI

Comment

Pontiac did indeed have an OHC (Overhead Cam) 6 (in addition to its interesting slant 4, which was 1/2 of a 389 V8) and it was no boat anchor. I remember it well and in fact there is a nice writeup about it and Pontiac in the most recent Hemmings Muscle Car magazine. It was a well designed engine using the Chevy 6 as the block and a Pontiac designed top end. It was used up until 1970. It performed well. It was really ahead of its time, if only it had stayed around until the gas shortage hit it may have had a much longer life.

Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    58 C Cab
                    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

The 230 Tornado was used in Kaiser Jeeps also, an extremely strong Low Torque engine, had one in my M715. The Pontiac engine(also 230) was called a "Sprint",had one in my very first car(1966 Tempest)

Dallas,Texas

Comment

I've got one of those HUGE Tornado valve covers. Giant cast aluminum thing! Was gonna make a valve cover racer out of it but never did. It's now full of nuts 'n bolts out in the parts shed.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Kaiser purchased Wills Overland in 1953 , Some of the Willis cars were then fitted with 226 cuin Continental engines, these engines were the same engunes in Kaiser & Frazer automobiles. Willis was a good car, why did people not buy Willis?

Comment

Curt, I had a couple of Willis Aero Eagles back a few years and a little cabover truck. They were nice small cars got good gas mileage but they were hard to get parts for and when you could find parts they were expensive. The big problem was rust and the unibodies, the whole back end was unibody and the small subframe in the front was small, thin and very narrow. Tried to put some power in them they would twist. The steering was too close to the engine, designed for a small inline, small brakes, small wheels. I could go on and on about them too.

Comment

In regards to the tornado ohc six, they were used in race applications in South America (Argentina?)for some time. I don't remember the specifics but it would be interesting to see what they did to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X