PDA

View Full Version : Convertible Studebaker needed in New York City

creativefilmcars
07-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Hi!

We’re from Creative Film Cars in Manhattan. We provide vehicles for film, television, fashion shoots, magazines and special events.

Right now we are looking to book a convertible Studebaker for use in a commercial shoot in Manhattan next week. No driving is required. They just need a shot of the the power top going up and down.

We would like to invite the members of your club to submit their vehicles for this shoot and for future work in our film car database.

There is absolutely NO cost. Your members will be paid if the car is used for a project.

On the day of the shoot the vehicle is fully insured and treated with the utmost respect. In most cases no driving will be required. They just have to look pretty. The owner is welcome to stay with the vehicle for the duration of the shoot, and has complete control over the use of their car. A copy of the insurance binder will be available to the owner prior to any shoot. A check is delivered at the end of the shoot.

Additional benefits are increasing the vehicles provenance, value, possible tax write-offs, and seeing their vehicles in print or on film.

Direct your membership to http://www.creativefilmcars.com/submit.htm where they can submit their vehicles. We do shoots primarily in the North East around New York City.

A national commercial is a great opportunity to increase awareness of Studebaker and all their great cars.If you know of any other clubs in the area that might be interested please pass this on.

We would be glad to answer any questions or concerns just give us a call at 212-864-4060 or go to www.creativefilmcars.com

Cheers,
Donald and John
info@creativefilmcars.com

rrausch
07-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Let me tell you my experience in renting out my freshly restored '54 Chevy truck for a 1-day commercial shoot in the L.A. area. The 30-second TV commercial was for AT&T phone service. In order to make a 30-second commercial it takes all day just to set up and shoot it, then more time editing and looping it. I drove the truck out to the shoot--my call time was 6:00 a.m. It was an outdoor shoot about 60 miles out of L.A., and I stayed on the set the whole day, although my truck was driven by an actor for several scenes. My truck was the star vehicle of the commercial--most shots had the truck in the foreground, the other actors were an old man and a Golden Retriever. The AD (Assistant Director) assured me the truck would be well treated, and it was--up to a point. During a break in shooting the Producer wanted me to drive the truck down into a meadow so he and his buddies could pose on the truck for some pictures. I did so, and in driving into the meadow (which had dry grass about 2 feet high) I got stuck when the front wheel fell into a deep hole (I hadn't seen it because of the grass, and the guy in front of me directing me where to park hadn't seen it either). The Producer didn't bat an eye--he and his buddies all got in and on the truck, and the photog snapped some pics and they walked away--leaving me with a stuck truck! Luckily I had granny-gear (6.70 to 1 first gear ratio), that and about 5 grips in the back for traction and I pulled right out of the hole. But no one seemed interested in finding out if my truck had suffered any damage--and it had. I didn't realize it until I got it on the highway to drive home, but the front susp. had been messed up--a trip to my front end guy fixed it for about $65. The film company didn't pay for it of course! So if you are interested in renting your car for a shoot, MAKE SURE you sign a contract which specifies ALL damages AS DETERMINED BY YOU after the shoot, will be covered by the Film Company. Take pictures of your car (close-ups) before the shoot so you can document any damages afterwards.

The fee for this sort of thing is determined by just how badly they need your car! If the shot of that vintage Studebaker top going up and down is vital for the mood of a Major Film Project don't be afraid to ask $2,000 a day! Or more if the car is rare and costly! My one-day shoot was worth $700 and that was 10 years ago.

Now another thing. I am sure CreativeFilmCars is an absolutely 1st-rate company. I am positive they would never do anything like what I am about to describe. I have worked "in the Industry" for over 15 years, and I have worked for a certain A-list film production company for the last 5 years. Sadly I have learned that some Show Business people will promise you ANYTHING to get what they want! But it is what is on paper that counts! So get a signed contract BEFORE you show up with your baby! Don't let the Production Company give you the contract the day of the shoot when you will be overwhelmed by the set & preparations, and no one is there who can sign off on any of your contractual needs. --Words to the wise, learned the hard way!

The up side is it's fun! And the food on the set is always great!! They WILL feed you well!!

1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.

Roscomacaw
07-23-2005, 06:05 AM
I know two folks who've supplied cars to the TV/movie industry. Just individuals, these were - not professionals as I'd assume Creative Film Cars would be. Both these folks have told me the good and bad as you've experienced with your truck.
One guy lost money on the deal when damage that occurred was noted but he was never compensated for it. LOTSA hassle trying to GET the grand worth of repairs done - all to no avail.
The other car belonged to a gal (58 Hawk). That she persisted in renting this car to the industry after all the woeful stories she told me, was amazing to me.
That said - if my Lark ragtop wasn't on the opposite end of the continent, I'd be there to try it once for myself.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

rrausch
07-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Mr. Biggs, how right you are! I once waited over a year for a reimbursement check of about $200 from the Producers of the TV series JAG. Every month I sent a bill and every month they just ignored it! Calling them got this response: "Oh, it will get paid next month I'm sure."

Would I rent my car out for another shoot? Yeah, I probably would! I would just be more careful, and I'd negotiate a higher fee.

I used to park my '54 truck on the streets, and one day I found a hand-written note on the windshield asking me if I wanted to rent the truck out for a music video. Upon calling the phone number and talking to the guy it became apparent that there was no Production Company involved, no major band--it was just some shadowy character who wanted to show up and get the keys and drive my truck off. Hmmmmm... didn't sound like a good idea to me!

1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.