Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clean out a tranny for shipping?

How do I get the gear oil out of a manual tranny without ruining it? This is needfull when shipping I would guess. I know Greyhound would frown most spectacularly on a large puddle of oil in the baggage bins...[:I]

Should I crate this thing? Has anyone shipped one of these?

Lotsa Larks!
    Studeclunker
    A.K.A: out2lunch

Does it have a drain plug? I do not know. If no drain plug ,drain it out the fill hole, would that work?

Comment

Do you have or have access to a large solvent parts washer??
      At very least , get a large pan(feed tub for cattle etc) and flush it out with a solvent like those used in parts washers or even kerosene.
      It may not get the stink out but should get all the oil out.
      Of course all safety precautions should be observed.

Comment

I do know enough to drain it. Still even after draining it there is residual oil and that is what I am concerned about. Transtar, would'nt solvent harm it(seals and such)?

Lotsa Larks!
        Studeclunker
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Gentlemen, I'm a new member here, but I've had lots of experience wrenching on cars for the last 40 years, and restoring old cars and trucks. I would be very cautious about washing an old transmission out with solvent or a parts washer WITHOUT disassembling it first. To do so would risk disturbing the sediment in the bottom of the trans case which I guarantee you is substantial in an older vehicle's trans. case.

I've completely rebuilt more than a few older manual transmissions, and in some places I've found 1/2" buildup in the bottom of the cases. This buildup consists of dirt, ground-up & stripped synchronizer brass, steel chips off of gears, ground up bearing cages etc. etc., and WILL cause bearing problems if loosened up and circulated through the fluid. The problems may not surface for a few thousand miles though.

My advice is to drain the case thoroughly overnight, then firmly install the drain and add plugs. If the drain and add plugs have been lost--they are pipe thread plugs on most trannys--most hardware plumbing depts. carry them. Anyway, get the plugs in, tighten them, then clean up the exterior of the case as good as you can. Then I would buy a couple of rolls of Saran wrap, and wrap that sucker up really well & tight, including the input and output shafts, strap it onto a piece of 3/4" plywood or 1X12 a a few inches longer than the trans and send it off! That's my 2 bits of advice!

Or, alternately you could build a shipping box for it. I once bought a Farmall H short block that came by truck. The shipper had found a cardboard box a little bit bigger than the shortblock, filled the bottom 1/3 of the box with "Great Stuff"--you know the building insulating foam which comes in a spray can. Then they covered that layer with a sheet of 5 mil plastic and lowered the block in. Then they put more 5 mil plastic over the top of the block and sprayed another can of Great Stuff on top. Sealed the box with tape and sent 'er off! I opened it, and after coming 1,000 miles by truck line everything was perfect.

1953 Chev. 210 Convertible (But I always did love Studebakers!)
          1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
          1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
          Robert Rausch

Comment

Thanks rrausch! I never thought about something so simple as Saran Wrap.[:I] And the spray insulation, great idea!

Lotsa Larks!
            Studeclunker
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Try going to a trans rebuilder in your area.
              The wholesale suppliers ship trans's in special plastic/fiberglass crates all the time. Maybe thay have a smucked shipping case, or a disposable one you could make work. Betcha you could find one for a six pack easy...
              Jyst drain the thing overnight, plug the cooler lines, and put a latex glove over each end. Maybe put a piece of pvc tubimg over the tailshaft to protect it from getting whacked.
              Don't overcomplicate the process...
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

How do I get the gear oil out of a manual tranny without ruining it? This is needfull when shipping I would guess. I know Greyhound would frown most spectacularly on a large puddle of oil in the baggage bins...[:I]

Should I crate this thing? Has anyone shipped one of these?

Lotsa Larks!
              Studeclunker
              DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
              '37 Coupe Express
              '37 Coupe Express Trailer
              '61 Hawk
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
              X