PDA

View Full Version : Transport of car

curt
07-04-2005, 01:35 PM
My son is purchasing a Toyota Supra in Dewitt Iowa, he lives in Tx,Austin. Any one know about trucking of a car?

Danarchy
07-04-2005, 01:40 PM
if it runs why not drive it? Fly up drive back. Gotta be cheaper then transport with gas prices these days.

Dallas,Texas

studegary
07-05-2005, 08:21 PM
I am sorry, but I have to disagree with the previous answer. I have had a number of cars transported over the past couple of years. Don't forget, that price of gas also works against you in flying in and driving the car home. The transporter is paying more for diesel now, but he is hauling six to eight cars at a time. I would only say to drive it if that is what you want to do for the experience. Carefully figure your air fare, fuel, tolls, lodging, wear and tear on the vehicle, etc. (don't count your time unless you want to) and compare this to transport. Shop around for transport. The giant companies that advertise a lot are often the most expensive. I would suggest checking with KMA Auto Transport (I have personal experience) and Peg's Trucking (friends have used this service). If you are close to a terminal on either end or both ends, you can cut the cost way down, as compared to door to door that I use.

Danarchy
07-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Just to play Devils Advocate[}:)].
Say the car gets 27 mpg? That's less than $100 in fuel.
Dewitt,IA is closest to Chicago(Ohare) $160 RT
Hotel $100 +or-
Food $75
Wear and Tear? It's a Toyota!:D
Time is where you got me. Mines worth alot more these days!,but I like to Drive.
It shouldn't be hard to get transport between the Windy City & Austin.

Dallas,Texas

curt
07-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the information pro and con. The problem is front end damage so transport is his only option. I think driving it home would be great iffin the car was up to it. He is still on the line about purchase .

studeclunker
07-14-2005, 12:16 AM
You mean there aren't Toyotas available in the Lone Star State? Why go so far? Surely there are better cars closer to home. Even if this one is free.

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker
A.K.A: out2lunch