This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 short bed stude

Hello, I have a 289 full flow moter. I want to put this motor using a B/W T85 Tranny w/OD. How easy or hard will it be to make the engine run in this 1949 stud pickup, It had a Flat head 6 using 6 volts to power the truck. Any help. I would like to purchase bell housing, flywheel, and tranny locally. That is Sacramento, CA. Please advise.

Most anything is possible, but this will not be a simple swap. Your car has a different suspension in the front than the 1951 to 1966 cars that had V8s. Your engine compartment was not designed to hold a V8. The 289 will probably fit, but this will be far from a bolt in. I can not think of anyone that has done what you are proposing. I am not saying that it can't be done, just that it is not a simple bolt in. Many pre-1951 Studebakers now have V8 engines.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Uhh... Gary, it's a pickup truck. He'll have no clearance problems if he uses the right mounts to set it in there.

Roy, since the frames are virtually the same for all the R-series trucks, it won't be that difficult to do this swap. You really need the truck motor mount brackets - front and rear to do it right tho. And even with them in hand, you might have to drill holes for them to sit right on the mount risers on the V-member in front. The kick will be find a good T-85 O/D for sale![}] But the truth is, a good T-86 would work if you could find one out of a '57 or earlier V8 car. Either way, you'll be faced with having the front of the driveshaft reworked to adapt to whichever tranny you use. That's not that big a deal.
      Also, you need to find the shift levers FOR a V8 installation as the 6-cyl levers (we're talking the ones on the lower end of the column) won't clear the V8 exhaust manifold.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Oh! You'll also need the V8 accelerator linkage for a truck to make this easier. It's different from a car's bellcrank.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sorry. I was rushing trying to get caught up tonight and missed that it was a 2R and not a '49 car <G>.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
          X