Mr Shaw Maybe we need a new Sticky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Shaw Maybe we need a new Sticky

Maybe we need a new sticky that lists stuff for chapters to do to increase memberships. Then we could go there for Ideas. Might be helpful. See what the people Say. Just trying to help.
    Thanks

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Anne,,, A couple of months ago I suggested the same thing. I also wrote the v.p. Mr. Dormois and suggested that the national could do something to help people get started on this subject. Like perhaps making room in the Turning Wheels magazine for a column devoted to just this purpose. I think the keyword right now is leadership. People need leadership, encouragement, and direction from the board who could be leading the way on this subject of increasing the number of members. In the mean time we can do it here. And perhaps if there is enough discussion on it, those in power will take it seriously and help out.

Comment

Anne,,, A couple of months ago I suggested the same thing. I also wrote the v.p. Mr. Dormois and suggested that the national could do something to help people get started on this subject. Like perhaps making room in the Turning Wheels magazine for a column devoted to just this purpose. I think the keyword right now is leadership. People need leadership, encouragement, and direction from the board who could be leading the way on this subject of increasing the number of members. In the mean time we can do it here. And perhaps if there is enough discussion on it, those in power will take it seriously and help out.

Comment

Turning Wheels constantly does this. Just check the latest issue for an example.

Comment

Turning Wheels constantly does this. Just check the latest issue for an example.

Comment

As I am on the SDC Membership Recruitment Committee I can say that without a doubt, the SDC Board does take membership recruitment seriously. While the membership promotion wheels may not turn as fast as most would like they have in fact been in constant motion. For example:

1. The lowered $19.95 first year SDC dues
            2. The "21 & Under" program will hopefully help get some younger folks out to a local, regional or national meet.
            3. The recent "subscription only" Turning Wheels program for local libraries and schools.
            4. Discussions for a "National Drive Your Studebaker Day" are in progress
            5. We are investigating if and how we could promote Studebakers and the SDC to the throngs that go to big events like Good Guys and NSRA
            6. This web site and forum has attracted new members
            7. Prez Reynolds has talked about new membership several times in his TW column
            8. Redesigned and reprinted "The Studebaker Story" brochure to increase awareness and interest. This is available for chapter use.

Can and should more be done? Absolutely. Does the SDC have a vested interest in increasing local chapter membership? Absolutely. Does the SDC value and listen to ideas from all members? Absolutely. Can every idea be implemented? Probably not.

What can be done at the chapter level? Here are a couple of thought-starters:

1. The SDC Regional Managers provide chapters with membership reports (as I understand it) on a regular basis. Chapters should create and execute a plan for personally contacting, welcoming, activating and enrolling those new SDC members in their chapters. I don't mean to toot the horn too loudly for our North Star Chapter membership guy, Henry Votel, but he has worked like crazy and it has paid off handsomely for our membership (now around 155).

2. Exposure, exposure, exposure. Getting local awareness in the community can pay good dividends. Every time Anne has Gus in a local parade she is increasing her chapter's chances of attracting and gaining new members. The key is to seek out those opportunities and watch for people who express even a casual interest in your vehicle and give them close attention... a reason to want to belong.

3. Also, at non-Studebaker local car shows, get members together and go as a group... and have club promo materials (such as "The Studebaker Story" brochure) and contact cards/membership apps available for the taking). That's how I became a chapter member...took an app from underneath a windshield wiper.

4.Also in the exposure department is "publicity". Make sure the chapter is sending out news releases to all the local media for their larger events. For our North Star annual Memorial Day and Labor Day shows, we post the event listing on every website we can find and send out news releases to all the local media (newspapers, radio and TV). Most of this can be done by email nowadays so there's no out-of-pocket costs to the chapter. Preaching to the choir retains membership; preaching out in public gets new members.

Anyway, please feel free to post your own ideas or send them to me privately if you wish. Either way, they will be read and considered.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
            Woodbury, Minnesota
            sigpic
            Bob Shaw
            Rush City, Minnesota
            1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
            "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

As I am on the SDC Membership Recruitment Committee I can say that without a doubt, the SDC Board does take membership recruitment seriously. While the membership promotion wheels may not turn as fast as most would like they have in fact been in constant motion. For example:

1. The lowered $19.95 first year SDC dues
              2. The "21 & Under" program will hopefully help get some younger folks out to a local, regional or national meet.
              3. The recent "subscription only" Turning Wheels program for local libraries and schools.
              4. Discussions for a "National Drive Your Studebaker Day" are in progress
              5. We are investigating if and how we could promote Studebakers and the SDC to the throngs that go to big events like Good Guys and NSRA
              6. This web site and forum has attracted new members
              7. Prez Reynolds has talked about new membership several times in his TW column
              8. Redesigned and reprinted "The Studebaker Story" brochure to increase awareness and interest. This is available for chapter use.

Can and should more be done? Absolutely. Does the SDC have a vested interest in increasing local chapter membership? Absolutely. Does the SDC value and listen to ideas from all members? Absolutely. Can every idea be implemented? Probably not.

What can be done at the chapter level? Here are a couple of thought-starters:

1. The SDC Regional Managers provide chapters with membership reports (as I understand it) on a regular basis. Chapters should create and execute a plan for personally contacting, welcoming, activating and enrolling those new SDC members in their chapters. I don't mean to toot the horn too loudly for our North Star Chapter membership guy, Henry Votel, but he has worked like crazy and it has paid off handsomely for our membership (now around 155).

2. Exposure, exposure, exposure. Getting local awareness in the community can pay good dividends. Every time Anne has Gus in a local parade she is increasing her chapter's chances of attracting and gaining new members. The key is to seek out those opportunities and watch for people who express even a casual interest in your vehicle and give them close attention... a reason to want to belong.

3. Also, at non-Studebaker local car shows, get members together and go as a group... and have club promo materials (such as "The Studebaker Story" brochure) and contact cards/membership apps available for the taking). That's how I became a chapter member...took an app from underneath a windshield wiper.

4.Also in the exposure department is "publicity". Make sure the chapter is sending out news releases to all the local media for their larger events. For our North Star annual Memorial Day and Labor Day shows, we post the event listing on every website we can find and send out news releases to all the local media (newspapers, radio and TV). Most of this can be done by email nowadays so there's no out-of-pocket costs to the chapter. Preaching to the choir retains membership; preaching out in public gets new members.

Anyway, please feel free to post your own ideas or send them to me privately if you wish. Either way, they will be read and considered.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
              Woodbury, Minnesota
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota
              1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
              "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I am doing my part I am advertising the Studebakers Drivers Club on my site. Maybe it will bring in a person or two. I have contacted my "Local" and to coin a phrase "the checks in the mail" Keep up the good work Anne.

Randy_G
                South Bend or Bust 2007!
                God I miss chrome on cars.
                This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

I am doing my part I am advertising the Studebakers Drivers Club on my site. Maybe it will bring in a person or two. I have contacted my "Local" and to coin a phrase "the checks in the mail" Keep up the good work Anne.

Randy_G
                  South Bend or Bust 2007!
                  God I miss chrome on cars.

Comment

Question proffered to a young Studebaker owner, "Would you be interested in going to the club's Spring Banquet?" His answer,"Will there be any chicks there?"

Solution: Only Studebakers should be offered to daughters about to get a drivers license. If she wants a Honda, she should buy it herself and pay the insurance.

I say that slightly tongue in cheek.

As far as attracting slightly maturer members, it can happen only if we get our vehicles out of the garage and drive them; to work, to the store, whatever. And don't hesitate to engage conversation with anyone who is interested.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Question proffered to a young Studebaker owner, "Would you be interested in going to the club's Spring Banquet?" His answer,"Will there be any chicks there?"

Solution: Only Studebakers should be offered to daughters about to get a drivers license. If she wants a Honda, she should buy it herself and pay the insurance.

I say that slightly tongue in cheek.

As far as attracting slightly maturer members, it can happen only if we get our vehicles out of the garage and drive them; to work, to the store, whatever. And don't hesitate to engage conversation with anyone who is interested.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                      X