This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studebaker slead ?

Any body got any studebaker sleads built out there, I got a 49 commander 4 door, and I plan on cutting it up and bagging it all the way around when I get the old suspension cut out, I also plan on cutting the rear doors down and lengthening the front doors. I might even attempt a roof chop if I think I can pull it off. I know the sky is the limit I just need to make up my mind first.

Just glad you're using a 49 4 door in case it does not worl out.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    55 Speedster
    50 2R 10 truck
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Well - years ago George Barris built quite a number of heavily customized Studes, one of which was The Grecian (check his many books). Frankenstude isn't exactly a leadsled, but it's pretty low. Given the high beltline of a '49, channelling would get you a lower profile. Since suiciding doors is very popular, I'd leave the "kissing doors" or suicide the front ones, too. If you want to get radical - try scissor doors or folding gullwings! To really get folks to "spit out the pins", keep the Stude motor in it. There are lots of performance parts & dress-up stuff out there, and you're not gonna race it (are you?). You're "daring to be different" with a custom 'baker, so don't be a Chevybot - OK?
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Just for grins, check out the website for Bullet Nose Paradise. Some of the cars featured there are '47-'49 Studes. The URL is: http://www.ctaz.com/~junge/
        Although I like original cars, there are lots of nice modified old cars out there. The owners of the cars featured in Bullet Nose Paradise have shown some real creativity. Cars, for many of us, can be a form of art. In many cases, I know the cars started out in fairly bad shape, and I would certainly rather see them brought back to life as modified cars than see them crushed and lost forever. Since your car is your opportunity to be creative and express yourself, I agree with the earlier post about powering your car with a Stude engine just to be different. Anybody can use the common SBC.

Comment

Iam just glad someone out there understands the need for a stude lead slead, I thought for sure I would get banned from the sdc for sure for cutting up a studey. And just for the record you will never see me repeat, NEVER hear of me putting a chevy in anything, ever! I may not have done a car yet but to the people who are sssscared to do something different Ill post pitures when its done. thanks for the motorvation.

Comment

Have fun and good luck!! I have to agree that I would rather see a stude, or any classic for that matter, be customized than crushed. I must admit though... The bullet nose seems to lend itself very well to customizing.

Lotsa Larks!
            Studeclunker
            A.K.A: out2lunch
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Last week there was a 1948 on eBay that didn't sell; looked good though. Roof had been chopped and completely replaced with roof from 1964 Impala. Had Plymouth headlights, Mercury tailights.
              there was another with white leather interior from Buick Riviera; tastey!
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sounds like a fun project. Just don't whack off the top to make a 'parade car'. Two or three of those show up on Ebay every year, and they are mostly hack jobs.

You won't get much flack at all from the Stude crowd 'if' you do first class work. You won't even get much flack if you stuff a belly button motor in there...if you do good work. The only reason some react to this is it is so common, and Stude's are (and will always be) uncommon. Stude type peope are stubborn

Plan your project carefully, and execute your plan methodically. I hear of a lot of Stude projects that start out with high ideals and great idea's, and they end up as garage parts cars as the builder loses interest, or can't afford to finish it.. You have to stick with it to the end....even if it is the bitter end. The payoff is in the driving! This is a driver's club
                Oh, and start out your project by getting a big hanging file tote bin from Office Depot and fill it with hanging folders. Save 'EVERY' piece of paper, receipt, drawing idea, template, etc. 10 years from now when your ride is world famous, you will appreciate saving this stuff...[8)]
                Oh, and pictures.... Get yourself a digital camera and take pic's. Lot's of 'work in progress' pic's. Lot's of little detail pic's. We crave the detail pic's and progress pic's. [] It is also a good motivator for you to keep going. When you have a 'friendly' audience cheering you on, you will keep slogging through those down times and finishing a little project and showing it off will bring you back up. And ask for help here when you need it. Literally centuries of experience are available, and some of it will be volunteered. Some you may have to pay beer for
                Good luck with your project...
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by spuncyco

Any body got any studebaker sleads built out there, I got a 49 commander 4 door, and I plan on cutting it up and bagging it all the way around when I get the old suspension cut out, I also plan on cutting the rear doors down and lengthening the front doors. I might even attempt a roof chop if I think I can pull it off. I know the sky is the limit I just need to make up my mind first.
                DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                '37 Coupe Express
                '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                '61 Hawk
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I saw the car with the white leather interior on eBay. It was a '50 or '51 Champion Starlight Coupe. A previous owner had put in a power seat from a Buick Riviera and had the rest of the interior done to match. It was a very nice white diamond button tucked leather interior. Indeed tastey!

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Last week there was a 1948 on eBay that didn't sell; looked good though. Roof had been chopped and completely replaced with roof from 1964 Impala. Had Plymouth headlights, Mercury tailights.
                  there was another with white leather interior from Buick Riviera; tastey!

Comment

There is a '49 Studebaler Starlight Coupe currently listen on eBay. The URL is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
                    The car is listed as a '51 because it has a '51 front end, but the seller plainly states that it is a '49 and it definitely has '49 rear fenders. You might want to look at it for grins if nothing else. It is a nice car and the present owner had some nice ideas. There are definitely things I would do differently, for example leaving the door handles intact, but overall it is a nice car. Nice interior although not as nice as the diamond button tucked white leather another car on eBay had.

Comment

Thanx for the good advice I will definately pay attention to others advice who have already done this type of work. This is my first project car and I dont care if it takes 20 years, someday I will have it done and it will be done right. The one thing I have on my side is patience and I know Ill need it.

Comment

Working...
                      X