This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Hawk Color Scheme

I'm professionally restoring a 1962 GT Hawk. The mechanics and interior are complete, and it is going to the body shop now to make it better than the day it was new. Now comes the hard part...I'm not sure what color I want to paint it! It is currently a two tone dark grey and silver with a red interior, but I'm not sure what color would show better. For those of you who judge these vehicles in shows...I'm leaning towards a creme white, but would like input as it will be a good #1 or an excellent #2 when it is complete. Thanks,

Deputydoodaw
    Orange, CA

Dark colors show off the lines the best, white hides a lot of defects, red brings the most attention and the highest value. You should look at GT's painted the factory colors and make up your mind. BTW, two tone was not available in 62.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    55 Speedster
    50 2R 10 truck
    JDP Maryland

Comment

IMHO, the car will not be "...a good #1 or an excellent #2...", unless you paint it a correct color that was available on a 1962 Hawk. The bodies look the best in dark colors. As Bob Bourke said; black (or dark color) hides the gaps and panel misalignment. As John stated; no two-tones were offered on 1962 Hawks. I am curious how you got a correct, show quality interior for your 1962 Hawk.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

In my minds eye,with a red interior,you're stuck with BLACK orWHITE! Whether the body is straight enough for Black,'only your body man knows for sure'. Was there a SILVER available in '62????

last of the finned Hawks!!
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

One of the members of our local chapter of SDC has a '62 GT Hawk and it's painted maroon clear coat. Man, it's beautiful---really stands out. If I had a GT, I'd probably give strong consideration to that color.
          Rog
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I figured that the two tone was an after market job since I couldn't find any documentation, pictures, etc for a 1962...thanks for the confirmation. Since the restoration shop will be going down to the metal and straightening and fixing the fit, Black should be OK. Thanks for the input!

Deputydoodaw

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Dark colors show off the lines the best, white hides a lot of defects, red brings the most attention and the highest value. You should look at GT's painted the factory colors and make up your mind. BTW, two tone was not available in 62.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
            64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
            55 Speedster
            50 2R 10 truck

Comment

The best looking, most eye catching GT I have seen was at the 97 National meet in South Bend. It was red with red interior. A gorgeous car!

53commander HDTP
              53 Champion HDTP
              61 Cursed Purple Hawk
              64 Champ long bed V8
              64 GT
              64 Champ long bed V8
              55/53 Studebaker President S/R
              53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Interesting idea...might be worth taking a look at. Thanks!
                quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

The best looking, most eye catching GT I have seen was at the 97 National meet in South Bend. It was red with red interior. A gorgeous car!

53commander HDTP
                53 Champion HDTP
                61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                64 Champ long bed V8
                64 GT

Comment

Working...
                X