This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird sound

i think this might be some kind of sending unit for my gas tank. whenever i put my ignition to run i get this weird humming from the back of my car. sounds like a bad ground or something, i ain't got alot of smarts wit dem wires!

slow64
    1964 lark daytona
    bd_marks@yahoo.com

ooooh, could that be a fuel pump cranking up? just maybe?

Comment

There's nothing back there to ground when you turn the key to "run". Unless it IS a fuel pump.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

well if it is a fuel pump i guess that would explain why the mechanical pump was there but not hooked up. maybe i have two fuel pumps working right now. oops.

slow64
        1964 lark daytona
        bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

That sounds like the story! And I sure wouldn't let that electric pump push fuel thru that mechanical! If that mechanical has a diaphragm rupture, that electric pump would be only too happy to fill your engine's crankcase with raw gasoline. Sure to reduce engine life - to like, minutes![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

and fill your garage with fresh gas, too,if you forget to turn off the key.

last of the finned Hawks!!
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

is there a fool proof way to tell if it is a pump, looking at it, it just looks like a big filter, one line ine, one out with two wires to it, and it says filter on it but nothing about being a pump.

slow64
              1964 lark daytona
              bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

There would be no wires to a filter..Thats an electric pump.

last of the finned Hawks!!
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

well i better go re-route some fuel lines before i really have some problems.

slow64
                  1964 lark daytona
                  bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

There is nothing especially wrong with an electric pump.Just be sure all gas lines are fresh,no dry-rot,and tight connections.A fuel pressure regulator is a good idea,usually mounted up front near the carb,just to make sure it doesn't push too much pressure to the needle and seat in the carb.
                    As already said,the worst thing is the possibility of the pump running on,uncontrolled.You've already said the fuel lines are not attached to the mechanical pump,so no problem there-.picture this: my son had an electric pump on his brand-x hot rod.Some how,he put the car in the garage,left it with the key on-[engine not running] a few days later,he went out to the garage,to find a dead battery,an empty gas tank,and a garage full of gasoline- could have been a tragedy.
                    I'm not trying to scare anybody,but there are some things to think about when a car comes with 18 or so gallons of gasoline!!!

Are those fins supposed to be on there?from the factory?
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

yeh, when i was inspecting to find out what it was there was a gunked up part i cleaned off that said " failure to use filter will void warranty on pump," so i guess that settles that. and when i was looking it over i found a line that was dry rotting around one of the clamps, so i changed that out. i just got done re-routing the fuel line, OH BIGGS, if you read this i tried what you said about putting that ball under the carb fuel pump, and i put a couple little springs on the plunger under the linkage, and it cleaned up the slop in my linkage, thanks for the tips a couple weeks ago!!!

slow64
                      1964 lark daytona
                      bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

Cool Deal!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Working...
                        X