This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash lights

I've got question about dash lights. I have the dash partialy dis assembled on my 53 Starliner and have noticed that the small colored pieces of what apears to be plastic {these tint the color of the lights for high beam and turn signals} are almost burnt up and in bad shape. What has anyone used or is recommended to replace these small tinted pieces? Thanks

Darryl C. Lewallen

someone just asked this question in another forum (or are you flt-blk?) here was my reply:

two suggestions on the lenses:

1) buy some divider tabs for a 3-ring binder. Cut off the colored tabs and use those. Might have to double them up to get a true red or green.

2) Hit a music store or theater supply place and buy some lighting gels in appropriate colors.

good luck

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

My main concern was whatever material that is used be able to withstand the heat generated by the dash light bulbs. Thanks

Darryl C. Lewallen
      Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

A lighting gel is your best bet if you want it to last forever... if they can stand up to the heat of those bigass stage lights, they can stand up to a #57 bulb, even in such a confined space.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Having worked with industrial controls for a number of years, I can tell you that they have a good selection of different-colored filters that go into panel indicator lights and lighted switches. These operate constantly with 110volt bulbs behind them in some cases.
          Allen-Bradley or Cutler-Hammer are a couple of manufacturers that come to mind. And electrical supply outlet would have catalogs of different stuff to choose from.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Once you get the proper plastic, frost it with some 600 grit sandpaper. if you leave them clear, it's hard to see the lights, trust me.

Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe
            '60 Lark VI

Comment

Working...
            X