This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid questions people ask

Today, while I was checking my mail a guy asks me if that's a Nash I'm driving. This got me to thinking ... what is the stupidest question that people have asked you about your car(s)?

The one that ranks at the top of my list happened when I was driving my 67 Jeepster.. I was getting into it after coming out of the grocery store and a guys asks me about it, what year? I say it's a 67. Then in all seriousness he askes me if I bought it new! I was 21 years old at the time!!!! I guess he must have thought I looked like I was 50 [xx(]

Not including the many various questions that are asked about Stude & Chevy engines?
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

One time i bought a 50 Studebaker champion out of state. While trailering it home a guy almost got into a argument with me at a gas station insisting it was a tucker!

My Studes:
      1.1947 Commander 14A-C3
      2.1948 Champion 2 door sedan (parts car)
      3.1948 Champion 2 door sedan
      4.1950 Champion 2 door sedan
      5.1959 Lark 2 door post
      6.1964 Stude challenger 2 door

Comment

I was in a local lumberyard a couple of years ago. I'd pulled the Transtar in to load up some timbers I'd paid for.
        Guy comes out of the warehouse to help me load the stuff - looks to be about the same age as I am. On the second trip to put stuff in the bed (tailgate's been up the whole time so you can clearly see the "STUDEBAKER" that screams out at you) the guy says: "Man, this is one of the nicest old Internationals I've ever seen![V]
        You gotta be selective about your battles lest you suffocate from tying yourself in knots. I just nodded to this guy's claim and said: "It's a nice one!"[}]

OH - then there was the mailman that handed me a package one day. I had the Larkvertible sitting in the driveway and the fella says: Those old Ramblers were so ugly they were cute, eh?
        I DID tell him it was a Studebaker, but I figure he went off on his deliveries mutting to himself what a dolt I was not to know what sorta car I owned![8]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

and then there are the countless "who makes studebaker...oh, yeh i got it, but who makes it"

slow64
          bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

I've been asked that one several times.

Comment

The one that I have learned to just leave alone is: They are still making the Avanti in Canada aren't they? There is just no short way to answer that.

Gib

Comment

I don't expect normal folks to understand (although I've not had the discussion with any of my neighbors, as most of them either owned, or rode in a Stude earlier in life), I take thir mis-understang in stride.

What burns me is the F.L.A.P.S. folks, who always want to insist that it must be made by SOMEONE, oh and Farmers Insurance, who refuses to belive that my Studebaker 3R6 truck was not made by Plymouth.

Comment

Not Stude but- when my son tried to order title and plates for a 79 Camaro,the lady at the DMV insisted he needed a 17 digit VIN.

last of the finned Hawks!!
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I've had a person ask me if my Lark was built in Germany.
                    Similarly, some folks ask me if the car is American.
                    I also get the person who makes the statement saying that Chevy made all the engines for Studebaker, then find it hard to believe that it was only in '65 and '66.
                    I only goes to show that it is imperative that we get our cars out there to educate people about Studebakers. We have to keep the Stude name in the forfront.
                    Now I'll get off my soap box.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

quote:Originally posted by benny_64

and then there are the countless "who makes studebaker...oh, yeh i got it, but who makes it"

slow64
                      bd_marks@yahoo.com
                      ha ha yep, get this one all time. When they finally accept that it was independent they'll say something like "yeah well Ford made the engines for them" ...

Comment

There ya go! Some folks just refuse to dump their fantasies![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Late this afternoon, a 18 or 19 year old kid came in the shop.Wish I could describe the look on his face when he saw my Hawk,and said " WHAT the HELLLL isTHATTT???" i think that was the first time i smiled all day! [I realized Studebaker was out of business about 20 years before he was born.]The Hawk,with no trim,no headlights,no bumper,looks almost spooky,greeting newcomers to the shop.Not 1 day has ever gone by without some comment or question about the car!!!

last of the finned Hawks!!
                          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

when I was doing the resto on my car, it was sitting in the garage with just primer and no lights or anything in it. A kid walked by the garage one day and asked me if it was a smash up derby car ... ha ha ha.

Comment

Not really a stupid question but I went to NAPA "big mistake here" to get check to see if they could get a brake line for my 62 Champ...WHICH HE COULDNT ![8] Anyway the guy says " I dont know why anyone would even waste their time on something not even manufactured in the United States !...

I HATE our local NAPA>>>

Joel
                              1961 Champ
                              1962 Champ
                              1958 Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X