• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN vs. Body Tag

OK, first the numbers;

VIN: 64V-15003
    Body Tag: 64V - J8

Did the Studebaker plant have a 'body bank'? It seems as I read along here that the '1354' is the body number when welded up. If this is the case, by the seriel number, this was the 5003 car down the line. Is this possible? Would this body shell have sat at the plant while almost 3700 cars went before it did? Or is this the 1354th hardtop assembled?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

1354th hardtop, 15003th V8, assuming the number did not get out of order.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    55 Speedster
    50 2R 10 truck
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Didn't the VIN's start at 10001? So this would be the 5003rd car off the line? Did they run seperate serial numbers for 6's and 8's

64S-15003
      64V-15003

There can be two cars with the same sequence number?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

We both mispoke, they start at 1001.

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        55 Speedster
        50 2R 10 truck
        JDP Maryland

Comment

1964 serial numbers start at 1001 with a different series of numbers for six and V8. Your car is the 14,003rd V8 and the 1354th hardtop body (out of 2414). I also want to mention that what you call a "VIN" is the serial number. Either the engine number or the serial number may have been used for the VIN (vehicle identification number), usually dependant on what state or country the vehicle was first titled/registered in. For most "late" model Studebakers, the S/N is used as the VIN.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

We both mispoke, they start at 1001.
            [:I] DOH!

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

1964 serial numbers start at 1001 with a different series of numbers for six and V8. Your car is the 14,003rd V8 and the 1354th hardtop body (out of 2414). I also want to mention that what you call a "VIN" is the serial number. Either the engine number or the serial number may have been used for the VIN (vehicle identification number), usually dependant on what state or country the vehicle was first titled/registered in. For most "late" model Studebakers, the S/N is used as the VIN.
              Has anyone seen a state that used the engine number as the VIN? Working in the insurance business, I've never seen a state that used the engine number. The reason would be that engines are replaceable and the body shell (and frame) is basically the car. Now I'm not saying this is an absolute, hence my question.

I've handled vintage insurance claims in Michigan, Ohio and Missouri and have yet to see this.

Also, how many had their cars (this may be limited to '64's) had there car title with an "I" instead of a "1"? When I got my car from California, the title was listed as 64V-I5003. I had already received a copy of the build sheet from the museum which obviously lists the number as a 1. The Michigan Secretary of State didn't have a problem changing this, but I'm curious is others have had this issue.

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Here in the state of California they used the engine numbers as VIN's.
                I have a 53K that my father bought new from the Kelly Kar Company in 53. He gave it to me in 1958 for my 15th birthday since my mother couldn't drive a stick. Still own it. I have a 53K that came from back east MD. It is regestered by the number on the Drivers side door piller.

Comment

I just sold a 50 Commander Starlight coupe that was last titled in the late 50's in NY state and they used the engine number at that time, but no longer.

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                  55 Speedster
                  50 2R 10 truck
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

Here in the state of California they used the engine numbers as VIN's.
                    I have a 53K that my father bought new from the Kelly Kar Company in 53. He gave it to me in 1958 for my 15th birthday since my mother couldn't drive a stick. Still own it. I have a 53K that came from back east MD. It is regestered by the number on the Drivers side door piller.
                    Alan, are you sure about this? My California title used the numbers listed on the left door pillar. Maybe they switched between '53 and '64.

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

My father bought the car brand new he had to shop around because there were some things that he wanted on the car and the nearest dealer didn't want to special order for him. He was a doctor and wanted a drivers side spot light so he could see house numbers when on house calls if you can remember back to those times. I went with him wen he picked it up. When I got it the spotlight was the first thing to go. If you would like I would scan the regestration and e-mail it to you.

Comment

In the '50s, New York State used the engine number for a VIN. In the '60s, they used the serial number for the VIN. I can't remember the exact year of switch over. My '53 Commander Starliner and '57 Golden Hawk (PS3000) were registered by engine number and my '63 Avanti and '63 Daytona Wagonaire were by serial number. I owned cars of the years in between these, but they weren't originally New York State cars. New York State only started vehicle titles with the 1973 model year. Ownership of prior years cars is by a transferable registration form. In New York, you can have the VIN changed from the engine number to the serial number. I always did this in the case of a swaped engine. I know that New York was not the only state that followed a system of using the engine number for the VIN and later switched over to the serial number for the VIN.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Alan, I believe you. I'm just surprised. As mentioned above, I bet the Cali DMV would switch to the serial number upon request. I guess it just shows how much things have improved. Back then, I bet the DMV's figuired that the engine would out last the body. Now it's the other way around.

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Every Studebaker I've owned in California (10 or so from 53's to 64's) used the serial number on the door piller as the VIN on the title.
                            -Dick-
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Studebaker always indicated the numeral 1 as a capital I when stamped on the VIN plate. Some years ago I read something giving the reason for this but don't remember what it was. When registering, if there is a capital I, it should be registered as a numeral 1. My 53 coupe tag says 83III43.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X