This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing AC in a Hawk

After driving my '64 Hawk around for over 10 years I am thinking about putting AC in it. A couple of questions, how easy is it to find an original Stude unit? If I do this I will likely go with R134, I know that York compressors are available for R134 but how easy is it to convert the rest of the system over? I know the hoses are different, but will the evaporator and condenser work OK?

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT

I don't know the answer to your question but I would probably use a Sanden compressor not a York, there is an adapter plate available for the factory mount, much smoother running.

good luck,

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I have changed probably 500 R12 systems to R134a with great success using the same hoses evaporator and condenser just make sure you drain the oil from the compressor measure it and add Astor oil you will be ok . GOOD Luck Jack

Comment

I second Nate's recommendation... use a Sanden as opposed to the York. Much quiter and easier on the engine. You can probably get a "kit" from your local knowledgable parts house. It will include the proper valves and astor oil.

Nate, where are these Sanden mount adapters located? I need a couple.

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker
        Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

Check out these guys http://www.ackits.com/
          or these guys in Ft Worth

Just a few I found doing a quick search of my saved links.
          Or contact Ebon Jones(bonjo12@earthlink.net)he's a Stude enthusiast and a Texas A/C guy.

Comment

is Ebon still around? I tried to email him a while back with an A/C question and never got a reply. Or maybe he's just real busy (naaaah, that never happens)

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Here is a page you may want to check depends how much work you want to d0 and mounting kit runs $180
              good luck
              Jack

Comment

oooops lol page is http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_AC.asp

Comment

Dan, I have been doing the same thing regarding A/C for my 57 Silver Hawk....procrastinating. Finding all the right stock bits is nearly impossible. I got a complete set up except the engine pulleys. Never found the missing pieces. Ray Fichthorns method seems the best solution to fitting A/C. He fabs up the mounts for the compressor and gen/alt. He runs the alt. from the second groove of the compressor pulley so you dont need an idler or near non-existent crankshaft pulley. My current plan is to use a restored 64 Hawk under dash unit with new R134a compatible expansion valve mated to modern day hoses, Sanden compressor, and condensor.

Comment

Thanks for the inputs! JC your and Ray's approach is an interesting one. Now if I could just find a 64 unit for the inside I would be set!

Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    58 C Cab
                    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Lionel Stone has a '64 evaporator. I know 'cause I sold him one.

Comment

Ray has a great idea . I went a bit farther I took the bracket off the manifold and laid it all on the work banch .Used 1/4 steel pipe and made spacers to fit ,and just used a nut on each end which makes belt adjustment easy ( you need calipers to get the spacers the right length) good luck Jack

Comment

Phone Vintage Air in Texas and your tech problems are solved, they can sell you a complete system that will freeze you out. I'm presently using a GEN 11 Compac Vintage Air system in a 1947 Mercury street rod and I have a '60 Lark needing air. Brad

Comment

Working...
                          X