PDA

View Full Version : 1952 Commander

cowboy
06-10-2005, 07:21 PM
I just bought a 52 Commander 2 weeks ago, I dont know anything about
Studebakers. Whats the diffence between a Champion and a Commander?
How do you know if its a state or regal? Also, the front brakes on the 52 Commander are real tight, how can I adjust them?
Thanks

N8N
06-10-2005, 07:41 PM
1. Champion = small six, Commander = big six or V-8 (V-8 in '52)
2. Check the body tag and report back (on pass. side of cowl under hood)
3. ummm... I'll let someone else field that; I don't know what kind of adjusters were on a '52. Might want to pull the drums and have a look see at the condition of the brakes before you start putting too many miles on.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

cowboy
06-10-2005, 07:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by N8N

1. Champion = small six, Commander = big six or V-8 (V-8 in '52)
2. Check the body tag and report back (on pass. side of cowl under hood)
3. ummm... I'll let someone else field that; I don't know what kind of adjusters were on a '52. Might want to pull the drums and have a look see at the condition of the brakes before you start putting too many miles on.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

First of all thanks for the info. The body tag number is 3H-W5
And also I tried to pull the brake drums off and couldnt get them off.
Thanks again, cowboy

studeclunker
06-10-2005, 09:11 PM
You want a parts car Cowboy? I have one that needs a home. It's complete. Is yours a (Suicide) four-door?

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker
A.K.A: out2lunch

whacker
06-10-2005, 11:05 PM
I suspect your front brakes are dragging. You should be able to pull the front drums without a puller, you need the puller for the rears. The first thing you should do when you get a Stude is to do a complete brake job. By complete, I mean you should pull all the drums and either hone out and rebuild or replace all the brake cylinders, and rebuild or replace the master cylinder. Pull all the brake lines out and replace them with new lines, as they tend to rust under the clamps where you can't see them. Next thing to do is replace the fuel line from the tank to the filter. If the hoses look bad, or are more than four years old, replace them also. Sounds a lot harder to do than it is, but once you have done these two things, you can drive with confidence that you will be able to stop and you will know that your fuel system is reliable. An afternoon of enjoyable work that will give you confidence in both your Stude and yourself.

Roscomacaw
06-12-2005, 09:52 AM
That body tag number (3H-W5) reveals you have a 52 Commander 4-door. And you need a special puller to get the rear drums off. If you use the wrong type or try beating them off, you're gonna ruin them to where you won't be able to use them again![}:)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

steve_smith54
06-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Just for grins, check out the following website http://www.ctaz.com/~junge/
Even though this site pertains to modified 1950 and 1951 Studes, I think the models which were offered in those years, the Champion, the Commander, and the Land Cruiser were also the models that were offered in 1952. In 1950, all three Stude models had a different wheelbase. All three of the 1950 models were powered by six cylinder engines, but the Commander and the Land Cruiser had a larger six. In 1951, the Champion and the Commander shared the same wheelbase, but since 1951 was the first year of the V8, the Champion models were still powered by the six cylinder, and the V8 was the standard engine for the Commander as well as the larger Land Crusier. I do not know if the Champion and Commander continued to share the same wheel base in 1952, but the engine situation apparently was the same. In 1950 and 1951 the Champion and Commander models had a different intrument cluster if not a completely different dashboard. That is most likely true of the 1952 Studebakers as well. As you may already be aware, 1952 was Studebaker's 100th anniversary and was the first year of the Starliner two-door hardtop body style. The very first car my parents ever owned was a 1952 model year. Unfortunately it was not a Studebaker. Enjoy your car.