PDA

View Full Version : Stude 101 Help Please !!

LostYouth
06-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Hi - Sort of new at this. I am 60ish, retired and live in the Seattle area. I come from a South Dakota Stude family. Parents first car was a used 36 coupe. It was restored in 80's by a 3rd party owner, but destroyed when it's storage shed fell on it. (heartbreak for all) Parents went on to own a 48 coupe, 51 & 54 Commanders, 57 President Classic (my favorite)& a 62 Lark Daytona(?). My first car was a tired 53 Champion (purchased in 1963) followed by a 55 5 passenger coupe (my second favorite)and then the handed down 62 Lark.
Retirement and the time it provides has renewed my interest to own Stude(s) - soft spot for the 55 & 57. I do not have the skill to restore myself so would look to buy a restored auto or work with a skilled restorer to do a restoration.
I am looking for any advise as to the best way to proceed. I see that the National Rally is in Spokane this August and wonder if that would be a good place to meet people and start a search.
I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has. From reading other postings a sense a warm group of passionate Stude buffs and look forward to getting to know you all better.
LostYouth

Sonny
06-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Hi lostyouth, and glad we got to meet ya! Sounds like you had a life rich in Studebakering, and I can't blame you for wanting to reclaim those times, (hell, that's what I'M doing here! :D)

Anyway, you'll get all the help ya need right here, but I think you've actually already answered your own inquiry. The national meet at Spokane would be the perfect place to rekindle the fever!

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

65cruiser
06-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Decent driver Studebakers abound. You'll see them here, on the other newsgroup and especially Ebay. On any given day, there are 40-50 Studebaker's for sale on Ebay. And as Bigg's said, the National Meet is an excellent place to start.

I'm pretty new at this too. I've wanted a Stude for 10 years or more and finally found one earlier this year. But, I can tell you one thing I've learned. Buy the nicest one you can find (and afford). You'll be dollars ahead. You can never restore one for what you can buy a nice one for. Don't know why it's like that, but that's the way it is. I paid decent money for mine, but it doesn't need paint, upholstery, mechanical work, etc. It's a decent #3 driver. Looks good from 10 feet (heck, even closer if you want), but it ain't no trailer queen. I drive it[:p].

rockne10
06-08-2005, 06:14 PM
If you've joined the Studebaker Drivers Club you'll see many good cars in the classified ads of Turning Wheels

Transtar56
06-08-2005, 06:42 PM
You should start watching E-Bay,seems like theres always nice rust free Studebakers for sale on the left coast. Ive seen several nice restored 57 Presidents on there in the not to distant past.

GTtim
06-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Join SDC, join the local chapter, start watching the newsletter and Turning Wheel ads. Go to the local shows and meets, talk to people about the cars that they have that you like. Chances are someone will know of one like it for sale. They can clue you in on what to look for.
Good luck, it's always a comfort to have another join the support group, oh, I mean club.
Tim K.

Roscomacaw
06-08-2005, 11:36 PM
There was a nice-looking 57 Presidnet Classic on Ebay about 3 weeks ago. Darned thing sold for less than $3K!;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

studegary
06-09-2005, 01:32 PM
My first Studebaker was a 1957 President Classic in 1961. I still think that is one of the nicest all-around Studebakers. For style, I like the 1953 Commander Starliner best. Especially if you do not plan to do your own work, buy the best car you can find. Start by joining the Studebaker Drivers Club. Spend a week at the SDC International Convention in Spokane. Learn all that you can about the model(s) that interest you. Follow eBay for a sample of cars available and prices. You will find sedans to be available and priced much lower than an equivalent hardtop or convertible. Best wishes and keep in touch here. If you find a car that you are interested in, ask for the wealth of experience represented on this forum to help guide you.

curt
06-09-2005, 06:28 PM
I went to an area/local Studebaker meet. I found my Studebaker there. I had watched e-bay for months as well as read several months of Turning Wheels. I think I paid a high price BUT an e-bay purchase would have been tansportaion added on and there fore super expensive . My car is beautiful! I wish you fun, and joy on the hunt and purchase of your Studebaker.

curt
06-09-2005, 06:37 PM
My President is very close to the one on the home page at this time. I have large hubcaps and my rims are white. Is this correct for a 1955 President? The picture has yellow rims and small caps.

N8N
06-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Large hubcaps were optional, although they might have been standard on Presidents. (or only President State models?) Wheel color depends on body color(s) and sometimes where the car was built.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Dwain G.
06-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Hello, Lost Youth! I'm nearby, across the sound in Bremerton. Have you made contact with a local chapter yet? Western WA is rich with SDC Chapters, 4 or 5 up and down the I-5 Corridor.

Dwain G.

LostYouth
06-10-2005, 12:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

My first Studebaker was a 1957 President Classic in 1961. I still think that is one of the nicest all-around Studebakers. For style, I like the 1953 Commander Starliner best. Especially if you do not plan to do your own work, buy the best car you can find. Start by joining the Studebaker Drivers Club. Spend a week at the SDC International Convention in Spokane. Learn all that you can about the model(s) that interest you. Follow eBay for a sample of cars available and prices. You will find sedans to be available and priced much lower than an equivalent hardtop or convertible. Best wishes and keep in touch here. If you find a car that you are interested in, ask for the wealth of experience represented on this forum to help guide you.
Thanks for what sounds like very good advice.
LostYouth