This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealerships recalled

Brolaw's inquiry about the Atlanta dealership got me thinking about my memories.
    When I was a kid I would visit McClelland Motor Co. on Wylie Aveue in Washington, Pa. That's were my Grandfather bought his Studebakers and I got his 62 Lark when he passed away. I lived two blocks up Wylie Avenue and would pass McClelland's walking to and from school. In the fifties they had Studebakers and Mercedes in the showroom.

In the mid seventies I was doing business with Indiana Sales and Service in Indiana, Pa. They were a Mercedes-Nissan dealership that had been Studebaker. When the Service Manager learned of my interest in Studebakers he gave me all the parts catalogs, service manuals, key fobs and some enameled steel signs they had left; unfortunately no car parts remained.

A few years later, Virgil Fowler bought Foltz Buick on Fourth Street in Williamsport, Pa and asked me to look at some parts stuffed in a corner in the basement. I didn't need them and couldn't aford them anyway but I remember among the items were fenders from 1947 on up. I put him in touch with some parts dealers I knew and I think he got rid of the bunch for ten cents on the dollar. I assume Foltz had been a Studebaker dealer. Two of the Studes I own probably were sold new there.

I've found old dealership buildings in JerseyShore, Pa and Newport, Pa.

In State College, Pa. O'Bryan Studebaker was on the 800 block of South Atherton Street. Mr. O'Bryan lived in Huntingdon, Pa and just died about ten years ago. The building is still a garage and towing company. One of my cars sold new there.

If you are old enough, do you remember your local dealers? Are there still any parts or key fobs buried in the basement?

I know there was an ex-Studebaker dealer that later went to AMC and finally Chrysler on PA 65 near Rochester (just before PA 65 becomes Ohio River Blvd.) don't know if they have any parts left but I do recall my parents having their Renault Encore serviced there (yuck!) and there was an old curved dash olds in the showroom, an older guy (the owner of the place?) caught me looking at it and took me into the back to show me an Avanti and a Marlin in the "collection" among other interesting cars... don't remember the name of the place, it's been years since I've even driven by there...

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Stuart was sold orginally by Kramer Motors in Canton Ohio. The dealer sticker is still under the left tailight. I do have a key fob from them withn a picture of a 62 Cruiser on it.

Comment

I am old enough to not only remember the Studebaker dealerships in my area, Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, but I purchased Studebakers, parts and service at several of them. The closest one to me was Knight's Garage in Wappingers Falls. Their showroom was recently torn down to build a Chamber of Commerce office. The one in Beacon, DiNapoli & Sallico (sp), was the one where I bought the most cars. They became Dodge dealers (bought my '66 Charger new there) and it is now an independant auto service facility. I got the signs off the roof there. I sold the 6' two-sided illuminated Lark sign for $40 to Carroll Studebaker (with delivery to Reedsville) and I still have the 42" round Authorized Service sign. The dealership in Poughkeepsie was Pitcher Motors. They also handled Mercedes Benz. I remember, in late 1965-early 1966, looking at a Benz there. The salesman told me that I would be better off buying two new Studebakers instead. That day, they delivered the one Studebaker from stock that I would have been interested in. It was a '66 Daytona Sport Sedan with V8 and AT. I saw it on the street in Poughkeepsie that evening and at other times. There were also Studebaker dealers in Pawling, Cold Spring and Newburgh. There were a lot of Studebaker dealers in this area considering the size of the area and what the population was in the days before IBM grew here to 34K employees (and since decreased to 10K employees) and the fairly recent influx of many NYC/Westchester commuters.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Walpole Street Garage was the dealership in my hometown of Norwood, Mass. Henry Hentschel was the chief, cook and bottle-washer there....
          He had bought the Stude dealership back in the 30's. Later, in the 60's/70's, he still had GMC trucks, but continued to service Studes through his quite extensive parts' inventory upstairs. The signs & parts were all sold to a chapter Stude member....Speaking of PA Stude
          dealerships.....in 1985 I was working in Uniontown, PA for a large Physical Therapy group out of Indiana, PA. We were in the process of seeking rental property for our new clinic. One afternoon we were in a building downtown, looking things over, when I spied a door that opened to a ramp that was used to bring cars up 1 flight. As I walked around the ramp, I saw the "Circle-S" logo of the Studebaker...
          The owner of the building recollected that a good-sized dealership was
          there for some years....I don't quite remember the name, but it was a 3-4 syllable German name.....? Geisheicker ???

Comment

I remember, when I was 10 years old, my dad took me to see the new
            (first by far with a postwar car) '47 Studebakers at F.E.H. Motors in Hempstead, Long Island, NY. It was a small showroom, campared with the other dealers in town, but I saw the beautiful Star Light Coupe for the first time. Of course, it wasn't called that in '47, but that car knocked my socks off. I've wanted one ever since. I remember the dealer's name, Mr Houghton. Nice guy as I remember.
            I also remember Lakeview Motors in Rockville Center,NY . When I first saw them, they were already a Studebaker and Mercedes dealership.
            They still exist, but they moved to a busier spot on Sunrise Highway. Of course, they're only a Mercedes dealership, and very successful.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jackb

Walpole Street Garage was the dealership in my hometown of Norwood, Mass. Henry Hentschel was the chief, cook and bottle-washer there....
              He had bought the Stude dealership back in the 30's. Later, in the 60's/70's, he still had GMC trucks, but continued to service Studes through his quite extensive parts' inventory upstairs. The signs & parts were all sold to a chapter Stude member....Speaking of PA Stude
              dealerships.....in 1985 I was working in Uniontown, PA for a large Physical Therapy group out of Indiana, PA. We were in the process of seeking rental property for our new clinic. One afternoon we were in a building downtown, looking things over, when I spied a door that opened to a ramp that was used to bring cars up 1 flight. As I walked around the ramp, I saw the "Circle-S" logo of the Studebaker...
              The owner of the building recollected that a good-sized dealership was
              there for some years....I don't quite remember the name, but it was a 3-4 syllable German name.....? Geisheicker ???
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

First off, sorry for the goof in trying to post,previously!

The dealer in Washington, PA was Detweiler. They later became a Pontiac dealer. I met his grandson at a SDC zone meet in Pittsburgh in the early '90's. Also, just last week, I learned that the father of a husband of a former coworker of mine was a mechanic for them!

I am friends with Ed Filer, the former dealer in Greenville in NW PA who took the photo that was the inside front cover of this month's TW. There are a couple more color photos that I think I'll send to Art, one of which was used in my Oct '03 article on the dealership but are in color and blow up to 8 1/2 by 11 pretty nicely. I'll try to not bore the membership with too many photos though!

I think your "find" of the circle-S sign at the old Detweiler's is neat indeed! Similarly, in April of this year I visited the old Filer building and bought (for $50, what a fool, I know!) an internal door that is in good, not great shape, but has a large circular decal on it saying "Studebaker Parts and Accessories" (red "ball" in the center and navy blue surround). I took a SDC buddy with me and we got some good pics of us taking it out of the building. There was also a sign on the restroom in the old Service Dept. which says "New Miracle Ride Studebaker" (1951) but it crumbled when you touched it.

I thought Dave Bonn did a great job on his May TW article on the Meachum Stude dealership in PA.

I love to hear about the old dealerships. I hope others will keep this subject going here in the forum, and I'd also love to see more dealership articles in the TW.

Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                All are in Australia now

Comment

Detweiler's was in Uniontown, not Washington. Sorry for the oops!

Bill
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

Warren-Proctor Studebaker of Louisville, KY later a Datsun dealer

Wolfe Motors of Corydon, IN later AMC and Datsun.
                    The dealership is now an auto repair shop. Remember seeing used Studebakers on their used car lot until the late 70's
                    I'm sure there were more dealers but I dont remember them.
                    One of my cars was shipped to New Albany, Smith Motors I think.

Comment

My '62 champ has a lic. frame(held together with urethane glue) from Capitol Studebaker in Sacramento Ca. My '64 commander wagon had a frame from Riverside Studebaker in Riverside CA (it disintegrated -- the frame not the car).
                      The dealership building in Riverside is still there. It became a garage in the early '70s and is now vacant. Still a nice looking building, in spite of neglect, abuse, and boarded up.

Lotsa Larks!
                      Studeclunker
                      A.K.A: out2lunch
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

hey Clunk, - you ever heard of "Electric Garage" outta Woodland? I've got a couple of plate frames from their operation. Supposedly, they sold Stude products from the teens to the end.
                        My 58 wagon was sold new thru a No. Sacto dealership. There's a plate frame from said dealership but I can't recall the name at the moment and I'm too lazy to run out and check! [:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

BTW...... I've started tyring to collect plate frames from Stude dealers. If anyone has one (some) they'd part with, I'd like to know. Maybe if you're parting out a Stude that happens to have a license plate frame or you're selling a Stude with a plate frame on it - you'd be willing to deal with me (reasonable, of course[}])
                          I've got one of every postwar hub cap and wheelcover, so the challenge for that "Collection" is diminished (although I'm still looking for prewar caps I don't have) - I've got one of every postwar horn button (and lotso prewar examples too), so that mania's slowed a bit. Of course, there's still the challenge to get BETTER examples than the ones I have - but even that's getting tough to do as I have such pristine ones already![xx(]
                          So, aside from rounding up more body tags, I've decided that Stude dealer license plate frames ought to be my next point of focus. This CAN BE challenging as not all of the frames even make note of a Studebaker relationship. Many just have the name of the dealer and the city they were in. This'll be my LAST collection challenge, I figure. There's simply no way I can hope to find such from every Stude dealer that ever used them.[:I]
                          I've been looking for one from the local Stude dealer here (Switzer & Jordan - or the later, just Switzer Motors) for 15 years now. I've seen ONE. And it was on a motor home and wasn't for sale at any price.[V] I confess, I get an adrenalin rush when I see a box of plate frames at a swap meet! But I have YET to find one for a Stude dealer at a swap meet.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The only Stude dealer I remember was MaCaan Garage,,just outside Amherst Nova Scotia.My freind Gary Payne bought out all their stock and even their tow truck when Stude went out of business.He sold off or gave away the signs back in the 70's when it was junk.Gary was/is a rather strange Stude dude,he collected over 50 Studebakers which all still sit in the feilds around his old farm,or at least the sad remains of them.I like walking around there and especially looking over the old MaCaan Garage tow truck,still in their colors.Its a 58 Deluxe cab Transtar,but isn't that the year they didn't actually call them that?
                            Anyway,the stainless steel trim that goes on the cab thats on my truck came from this old tow truck.

Comment

I've bought out a few dozen dealers parts from the 70'
                              s on, the last one, a small basement stash, last year. Not many truck load sized stashs left. Wish I could rethink some of my buys. i.e.left a NOS trimmed M series cab because I did not have room, never bothered with a lot of bulky hard parts like axles and springs.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                              64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
                              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                              55 Speedster
                              50 2R 10 truck
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X