This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Car Show aka Studebaker 1st's

OK, first off let me say that people in SDC warned me about taking a Studebaker to a car show and....it's all true.
    Took the 54 Champion to a small weekly show this evening. I arrived alittle late, there were about 45 cars there...the usual stuff.
    I drove around the rows, found an open spot and before I could even back in to the space...like flies!!!
    Everyone I talked to had a story about someone in the family who had a Studebaker "when i was a kid..." Dads bringing their sons and daughters up to it and explaining this and that. Apparently those other cars are there to look at but a Studebaker is there to enjoy and touch and smile!
    She was a hit and what fun. I'm going to have to do this next week too.

Dave

"Oh That? It's a STUDEBAKER!!"

Way to get out there and spread that Studebaker gospel!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

As Ive said before Studes are just rare enough to be crowd pleasers at the local Ford,Mopar,Chey,meets,but common enough to have the excellent vendors,club and chapters,and enthusiasts that we do.
      I really like early fifties Hudsons(driving miss Daisy),and the later Hornets and Wasps with the twin H-power dual carb set up on that big 308 in flathead.But theres little support out there for Hudsons,and parts are scarce and expensive.
      We Stude people have it made.
      Keep showing off them Studes!

Comment

Way to go Dave!
        Now you can take it to the next level....
        It's one thing to go to a show, park your Stude and walk around..
        It's another to park your carcass in a chair and watch people watching you (or your Stude)...
        To make your experience a truly neat one, try a few of these things...
        * Pass out little printouts of Studebaker history (the REAL Studebaker history)
        * Pass out little flyers of Studebaker 'firsts'
        (These two things will save you a LOT of 'splainin'...
        * Let people set in your car. The older folks who had one in their youth, the little kids that get told to 'don't touch!'...and the pretty girls...
        *Open up your car doors for people in wheelchairs.
        (sounds small, but it is a huge favor to them to let them look inside)
        *Take pic's. Lots of digital pic's.
        (Time flies and the pictoral memories will last generations)
        And lastly...
        * Take some SDC application forms with you.
        Shows are a lot more than shows.. They are social events for everyone.
        Congrats!
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by SoCal54Champion

OK, first off let me say that people in SDC warned me about taking a Studebaker to a car show and....it's all true.
        Took the 54 Champion to a small weekly show this evening. I arrived alittle late, there were about 45 cars there...the usual stuff.
        I drove around the rows, found an open spot and before I could even back in to the space...like flies!!!
        Everyone I talked to had a story about someone in the family who had a Studebaker "when i was a kid..." Dads bringing their sons and daughters up to it and explaining this and that. Apparently those other cars are there to look at but a Studebaker is there to enjoy and touch and smile!
        She was a hit and what fun. I'm going to have to do this next week too.
        Dave

DEEPNHOCK@Cox.net
        '61 Hawk
        '37 Coupe Express
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I really like early fifties Hudsons(driving miss Daisy),and the later Hornets and Wasps with the twin H-power dual carb set up on that big 308 in flathead.But theres little support out there for Hudsons,and parts are scarce and expensive.
          We Stude people have it made.

I was very much into Hudsons in the 1970's and made very good friends with Merit Marks who started the Hudson club. Got into Studebakers for the reasons above. A nice Stude is usally always a hit at the local shows.
          Keep having fun!

53commander HDTP
          53 Champion HDTP
          61 Cursed Purple Hawk
          64 Champ long bed V8
          64 GT
          64 Champ long bed V8
          55/53 Studebaker President S/R
          53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Sounds like fun! I was pretty bummed this weekend. The local show and shine was going on and I really had wanted to get my car running and even in it's needing a lot of work condition I wanted to be able to drive it there. Short on time though and it didn't happen. I guess maybe next year. We ended up not even making it there at all. I was curious how many Studes would be there if any. I figured at least a few trucks would show. It's a small event but it's usually fun. There were some beautiful cars we got to at least see driving around this weekend. It's so much fun when they come out in the summer with them.

Comment

All Great Advice Folks.
              Interestingly I spent the last few hours looking for the concise "real" history of Studebaker both on the SDC site and on the net. I think this would be a tremendous subject for an entire section on this website. It's a natural.
              I found some information from a couple of sites but hey, how about some of those Studebaker "1st's" ????
              Lets hear from all those members dying for a Studebaker version of Trivial Pursuit to come out. Give me some help here folks. List away!
              [8)]

Dave

Comment

Studebaker-Packard Firsts - I will kick it off with a few from my memory - limited slip differential, gas gauge on the dash, nylon upholstery. This subject has been written up. Maybe someone can search it out for SoCal54Champion and others. I think that the list is about 25 items.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Don't forget the first modern style disc brakes on a regular production American passenger car - available on the entire model line no less.

Who else was using disc brakes at the time? I can think of Triumph, Jaguar, and Ferrari... Maybe Porsche? I think they started using discs on the 356 sometime around 63/64? Anyway, not bad company to be in.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  62 Daytona hardtop
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                  X