This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 needs engine

I have a 1957 commander with ?259 V8 engine. It seems to be all original except paint and upolstery. It is clean with 108,000 miles and it runs good down the road until rod noise starts at about 45 mph. Local mechanic, in San Diego, says it needs engine rebuild and the cost is $4,000 to $4,500. I figure it needs some other items to make it safe and comfortable to bring the total restoration cost to about $7,000. I have restored cars before and I will do all work myself except drive train work. I cannot justify this much money on this car and I would rather sell it than spend this much money. Is there a less expensive way to fix or replace this engine? What can I sell this car for as is? Please give suggestions.

You should be able to buy a good running 259/289 for well under $500 and do a swap. BTW, $4000 for a rebuild is just nuts. I can do them myself in the $800-$1500 range depending on how far I go. i.e., bore and new pistons would put me on the high end cost. Chances are you'll get killed trying to sell it with a bad engine.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    55 Speedster
    50 2R 10 truck
    JDP Maryland

Comment

There is a 57 Packard/Studebaker motor (short block) available in I think, Oklahoma for $250. I think the e-mail address on this one is wildwoodrose@sbcglobal.net. The phone number is 405-631-5868. He will send pictures if you request. It would be wise to contact the S.D.C chapter in the area and see if you can get someone to look it over. As I recall the engine number indicates it was originally a supercharged motor. The only reason I didn't persue this any further is shipping costs. They would be certainly less than 4k. By the way, Studebakers West in No Cal. charges about 4k to rebuild a motor as well. If you are going to do so it would be wise to take it to them.

Good luck...

Lotsa Larks!
      Studeclunker
      A.K.A: out2lunch
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thanks for your advise. If you know where I can find a swap let me know. I have talked to a couple contacts who have engines but they do not know the running condition of the engine. If I could find someone to do the rebuild for $2,000 I would jump on it.
        quote:Originally posted by JDP

You should be able to buy a good running 259/289 for well under $500 and do a swap. BTW, $4000 for a rebuild is just nuts. I can do them myself in the $800-$1500 range depending on how far I go. i.e., bore and new pistons would put me on the high end cost. Chances are you'll get killed trying to sell it with a bad engine.

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        55 Speedster
        50 2R 10 truck

Comment

Oly,

I've sent you info, via E-mail, on a guy here in CA who can do what you want for less and does great work.

Oops! And then I got a notice saying that the E-mail didn't go through. E-mail me at studebob at clearskye dot net and I'll see that you get the info.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I paid Ted Harbit about $1,600 9 years ago, and he had to bore my 259 .040 and turn the crank .010 across. I realize there is inflation, but $4,000 for a rebuild is atrocious! Put several thousand with it and you can have that Ted Harbit rebuild, and the whole car, as it is on eBay now.

quote:Originally posted by Oly7

Thanks for your advise. If you know where I can find a swap let me know. I have talked to a couple contacts who have engines but they do not know the running condition of the engine. If I could find someone to do the rebuild for $2,000 I would jump on it.
            quote:Originally posted by JDP

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
            55 Speedster
            50 2R 10 truck
            Sam Roberts

Comment

While everyone is on the subject of engines, anyone know a good rebuilder around the Northen New Jersey area who does Studebaker engines????

Comment

Working...
              X